• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 4 (Dunkerque – Calais, 171.5k)

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't see what Roglic had to gain tactically from sitting up. It's a win-win situation if he stays up front.

I'd need to watch it again but unless he calculated that they hadn't enough support to maintain a gap over an entire peloton chasing. Or received instructions on the radio. It still looked very unlikely that WVA could ride 10km solo to stage victory over the crest of that climb. If the GC teams had got involved in the chase as well the very best they could have hoped for was a few seconds of a gap at the finish line.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Roglic sat in the wheels of the team and had to drop. Pogacar was out of position at the base of the climb because of a lack of teammates. I'm sure you could have figured that out yourself if you used that little head of yours for a second.

Nice aggression there. It's just cycling, relax.

Re watch the climb, i.e. a gap happened & Roglic sprinted to bridge. But surely someone who uses his little head wouldn't extrapolate definitive form standings based on that one little climb? Unless of course you think Yates is going to be fighting with Vingegaard for the win.

Wait & see.

I'd need to watch it again but unless he calculated that they hadn't enough support to maintain a gap over an entire peloton chasing. Or received instructions on the radio. It still looked very unlikely that WVA could ride 10km solo to stage victory over the crest of that climb. If the GC teams had got involved in the chase as well the very best they could have hoped for was a few seconds of a gap at the finish line.
I don't think there was any calculation on his part. If he's strong enough to stay with Wout and Jonas, no one's catching them anymore on the way to the finish. 3 strongest on the climb, and 3 of the strongest TTers against a bunch whose riders are scattered all over the road and who have to organize themselves again and find their legs... not happening IMO.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pogacar had no team around him and was probably caught behind when the 2 armadas started drilling it.
It is his own fault to be this distracted. I think everyone knew that there could be fireworks in the last little climb. Additionally several teams were drilling it so you knew something was going to happen. If it was because of the team then it looks bad for him. If it is bad positioning it is shame on him, but he just couldn't follow. Lucky for him that JV had a plan for Wout winning the stage today and not for JV trying to win the Tour!.

Reactions: markene2
Acting as if Van Aert loses the stage if he sprints against frigging Adam Yates.
It's quite realistic that teams organize better if 2 GC contenders are in front, they get caught, and then Jumbo have nothing. Hindsight 20/20, as usual. Just enjoy a man in yellow daring to do this, go all out and finally win a stage after three consecutive 2nd places. He was also just hands down the strongest on this stage.

TRENDING THREADS