• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2023, stage 21: Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines - Paris, 115.1k

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have no idea why that became a thing in the first place.

Wasn't Lance the first who did it?

Probably the Tour wants it that way, in other sporting events you have it as well. It doesn't seem like something Vingegaard would necessarily need to to if it was up to him. Though it is of course nice to be able to say thanks to everyone infrot of a lager audience.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Wasn't Lance the first who did it?

Probably the Tour wants it that way, in other sporting events you have it as well. It doesn't seem like something Vingegaard would necessarily need to to if it was up to him. Though it is of course nice to be able to say thanks to everyone infrot of a lager audience.
Yeah, I think Lance was the first, maybe because it was his last race and he had been such a huge figure in the sport, and then they just sort of kept doing it?

Aside the Mohoric interview the other day, I have a hard time remembering many meaningful speeches given by cyclists, especially on the Champs Elysees.
Of course a crazy prepared team like JV could have had a better speech ready for him.

Gs mic drop was quite funny, as was Wiggos bingo calling.

I think the winner of something like the TdF should at least say some words at the end, its 3 weeks isnt it, lots of effort, it shouldnt be just heres your trophy see you next year. We arent looking for meaning as such in what they say, but something to recognise whats gone into making their victory.

but pleasant to see that he will attend Vuelta, though not sure if the course fits him or Roglic-.

https://www.lavuelta.es/en/overall-route
If Jonas can time his fitness curve right, that late Angliru stage can be very good. Though there are a lot of these Purito/Valverde stages that really suit Roglic. Also climbs coming early so if Vingegaard needs a few stages to get warm he might loose time there.

Very flat itt early in the race as well. Though Roglic haven’t performed that well on those in recent times.

Obviously that Vingegaard is soemwhat nervous and not a personality that loves that spotlight
though looks good with that old fellow Dannebro waving.

BaFTfLj.jpg
As a point of pedantry the Stars & Stripes changed in 1960 when a 50th star was added when Hawaii became a state.

The tiebreaker will be epic next year!

A lot can happen in a year and the course isn't fully out yet. To make it more balanced I hope for a real classic style stage with cobbles, real gravel or farm tracks in the bretagne to give Pogi something to work with. The finale in Nice just screams Jonas if can make it up until then without sickness, crashes etc.

Yeah, I think Lance was the first, maybe because it was his last race and he had been such a huge figure in the sport, and then they just sort of kept doing it?

For some reason, the level of winner speeches at tennis tournaments like Wimbledon is quite high. Sometimes they are unintenionally funny (partly because of the limited English skills), but that's better than boring.

Maybe the best tennis players are more trained than the best cyclists as a result of many post match press conferences. Also, the tennis players have big personal sponsors which makes them aware of their marketing value, the riders possibly less so.

Another reason could be that tennis players typically come from families with a higher educational level than pro cyclists do.

I was looking at Wikipedia. Guess it hasn't quite been updated yet.
But how did Yates get past Groenewegen?
GC position I think, he’s 10th on PCS and the official site.

From wiki
In the event of a tie in the ranking, the cyclist with the most stage victories is the leader. If that is also a tie, the number of intermediate sprint victories indicates the leader. If that is also a tie, the general classification determines the leader.