• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2023, stage 4: Dax - Nogaro, 181.8k

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's just 7 flat stages. The route is fine.
Remember past tours like 2003, 2005? Tours with 10/11 flat stages and so few mountain stages. The route in the present is so much better than in the past.

Also it isn't really 7 certain bunch sprint stages remaining.

Stage 8 is a flat finish, but with a 1,2 K 5,4 % climb 9 K from the finish.

Stage 10 is a flat finish, but with a 6,5 K 5,6 % climb 30 K from the finish, and mostly downhill from the summit.

Stage 12 is a flat finish, but with a 5,3 K 7,6 % climb 28 K from the finish, with 15 K of it being downhill.

Stage 19 is a flat finish, but with a 2,3 K 5,9 % climb 28 K from the finish,

Strong breaks have a shot on all those, and on some of them a reduced sprint is realistic.

I think only stages 7, 11, 18 and 21 are certain bunch sprints.

Also it isn't really 7 certain bunch sprint stages remaining.

Stage 8 is a flat finish, but with a 1,2 K 5,4 % climb 9 K from the finish.

Stage 10 is a flat finish, but with a 6,5 K 5,6 % climb 30 K from the finish, and mostly downhill from the summit.

Stage 12 is a flat finish, but with a 5,3 K 7,6 % climb 28 K from the finish, with 15 K of it being downhill.

Stage 19 is a flat finish, but with a 2,3 K 5,9 % climb 28 K from the finish,

Strong breaks have a shot on all those, and on some of them a reduced sprint is realistic.

I think only stages 7, 11, 18 and 21 are certain bunch sprints.
Why you even include stage 10 and 12 are beyond me. These are super hard breakaway stages that will be contested by the best riders outside of top 15 and got absolutely nothing to do with sprints.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Did anyone spot what Bauhaus got punished for?
Not that he had much chance of winning the green jersey anyway, but he definitely won't now.

Ok, he gave Kirsch a bump when the Bahrain train overtook Trek's, but it didn't look worse than what normally happens in a sprint.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Van Poppel sr saying Philipsen caused Jakobsens crash. Fresh drama. Gotta love it.

Also this

b38108d8-1a83-11ee-91d7-02b7b76bf47f.jpg

Let's look at where Groenewegen is and how there is 0 shot he got there making illegal moves himself.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Been thinking the same. Waerenskjold is ridiculously good at delivering Kristoff who just isn't quick enough this season to capitalise on it. Reversing the roles would probably bring Uno-X some more points and maybe a podium spot?

Pretty terrible mistake by Soren today though causing the crash. First GT in his first WT season, and the naivete really showed.
Kristoff has never been a reliable bet for a top 3 in bunch sprints at the end of short, easy stages like today at any point in his career let alone at the tail end of his time. His forte is being able to still produce a sprint at the end of a long stage or classic when the snap has been deadened from the more explosive finishers.

Philipsen is set to be the dominant sprinter in this Tour but I really liked to see Ewan in these two stages, I hope that he manages to wins a stage as he has been very unlucky lately.
On his Instagram, Ewan posted a picture of the finish and wrote, “Painfully close today.”

I like Jasper the Disaster a lot, but it’s also good to see the wealth spread out.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CuSL0nQMPXZ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==