• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024 route rumours and announcements

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This year was good, but:

1200x900

That‘s not a Tour de France, that‘s a squiggly line across the center followed by a parade. They had to leave out almost the entire country.
In a perfect world the Tour de France would visit every area of France in a year, but the logistics are impossible. Most of the areas that were completely ignored by the Tour were visited in the past couple of years. That’s just how it rolls.

Oct 3, 2023
Visit site
hi Thomas,

Always happy following your website and your quest for the tour route every year. Not completely understanding why you didn't like my post as I mentioned you explicitly as the source. But I will remove the table from my post.

Cheers
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your quick action.

I explained the reasons for my request in my original message. I appreciate you mention me as the source, but that doesn't mean copyright doesn't apply (which [among other things] basically means you can -within the limits of fair use- cite a tiny part somewhere else but cannot copy substantial parts of it; this table is in itself a substantial part of my copyrighted publication and additionally, it is specifically mentioned for this part that copying it is prohibited).

Thanks again for removing this from your post here.

---

Apart from that, as a latest update: since my update early last week (Monday 2 October), the whole thing seems to be pretty stable now (the following updates were mostly about confirming what was already written, based on publications which mention the same thing). However, if anyone knows what's happening around 11 July, I'd be happy to talk about that :D . I hope it'll become clear in the next few days!

Hello,

I explained the reasons for my request in my original message. I appreciate you mention me as the source, but that doesn't mean copyright doesn't apply (which [among other things] basically means you can -within the limits of fair use- cite a tiny part somewhere else but cannot copy substantial parts of it; this table is in itself a substantial part of my copyrighted publication and additionally, it is specifically mentioned for this part that copying it is prohibited).

---

Apart from that, as a latest update: since my update early last week (Monday 2 October), the whole thing seems to be pretty stable now (the following updates were mostly about confirming what was already written, based on publications which mention the same thing). However, if anyone knows what's happening around 11 July, I'd be happy to talk about that :D . I hope it'll become clear in the next few days!
I would question if copyright protection of the sort you’re suggesting applies to the post in question—since it is a non-commercial use. I guess it will depend which country’s copyright laws you’re basing your request on.

For U.S. copyright law re: web materials, here’s one take Univ of Texas Law school) , though I’m sure not the only one:

“Whenever an author posts anything on the internet, he or she should reasonably expect that it will be read, downloaded, printed out, forwarded, and even used as the basis for other works to some degree. So, just by posting online, an author implies a limited license to use their work in this manner. . . .
On the other hand, most authors would not think that posting a work online automatically gives consent to commercial use of it without permission. This is not part of what one reasonably expects, and so it's not part of the implied license.”

Reactions: proffate
Hello,

---

What part is copyrighted? It can't be the route, that knowledge belongs to the ASO.
The profiles look like they were copied from the official tour site.

Last edited:
Regarding the Southern Alps stages next year, it's a bit disappointing that they don't do something better than the already announced stage to Couillole and the rumoured stage to Isola 2000. The really big aspect on these two stages is Bonette. Otherwise it's pretty standard, and the Coulliole stage feels mostly like a pimped version of a PN stage.

Especially I don't understand why it seems so difficult to use Cayolle? The southern approach is a pretty big climb ending at over 2300. And could be done for a finish at Pra Loup or a descent finish to Barcelonnette. It's a bit strange that this climb hasn't been used for 50 years. Could be related to something with the Mercantour national park?

Reactions: Sandisfan
No, not really. 15 km at just over 7 % is not even at definitive HC-climb.

Bonette is a monster. Isola 2000 is just a "normal hard" climb.
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...-have-summit-finish-at-isola-2000-ski-station
(quote)
News of the summit's return has been confirmed by Christian Estrosi, president of the Métropole Nice-Côte d’Azur region that contains the Isola 2000 ski station, as well as the mayor of Nice, made the announcement via X (Twitter).

The stage is set for stage 19 which will lead into a mouthwatering final few days of action at the 2024 Tour de France with a summit finish also taking place on stage 20 atop La Col de Couillole, before an individual time-trial on the final stage finishing in Nice.(end quote)
"
15 km at just over 7 %
"Remco friendly"! baby! The "Remco flavour(TM)" is coming soon!:)

No this is clearly an anti-Remco route. They saw what happened on Aubisque and decided to put 2 MTFs in the last 3 stages as similar to it in profile as possible.
This type of targeting against one rider is ridiculous.

tbf. the 2024 TDF route was decided LONG BEFORE September 2023, and Aubisque-Remco has nothing to do with the 2024 route choice. nothing. for as much as I'd like Remco to show up and beat the Jumbos, ASO's route choice is not related to Remco's Vuelta, please.

Last edited:
The pyrenees are also more or less confirmed.
  • Samedi 13 juillet : Pau > Saint-Lary (Pla d'Adet)
  • Dimanche 14 juillet : Loudenvielle > Plateau de Beille
  • Lundi 15 juillet : repos dans le Narbonnais
  • Mardi 16 juillet : Gruissan > Nîmes

Like I wrote. Stages 14, 15, 17, 19, 20 and 21 are GC stages. Only 16 and 18 are left for sprints or breakaway.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
"Mardi 16 juillet : Gruissan > Nîmes" This is the stage we'll be all talking about (with a bit of luck). A re-run of stage 2 of the Vuelta in 2017 (but in the opposite direction) - full gas for 200 km because of crosswinds. Get the popcorn, sit back and see how long the pro-peloton can keep up 60 km/h.

Reactions: Gigs_98

TRENDING THREADS