• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024 route rumours and announcements

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
tbf. the 2024 TDF route was decided LONG BEFORE September 2023, and Aubisque-Remco has nothing to do with the 2024 route choice. nothing. for as much as I'd like Remco to show up and beat the Jumbos, ASO's route choice is not related to Remco's Vuelta, please.
Wrap tin foil round your head, it helps.
… I really thought I made my joke obvious enough, but apparently not

Both next year's TDF and Giro's big mountain stages look very underwhelming IMO.
The Tour stages looks about the same as they have done the later years, so that is no suprise. The Giro may be lacking use of climbs like Finestre, Mortirolo and Stelvio or a monster Dolomite stage, but may have 3 very long mountain stages, which combines with a fair amount of ITT, could make it a proper designed route.

The rumours about stage 5 talks about a start on saint jean de maurienne and a finish in saint vulbas. Is there a possibility of doing a decent mountain stage between saint jean maurienne and saint vulbas? Probably someone here knows better the region.
I used for fun the site cronoescalada, and i tried to do a decent mountain stage between these two places, so i created a stage that starts in sain jean maurienne and then goes by col du grand cucheron-col marocaz-le bourget du lac-mont du chat-col ordonnaz-serrieres de briod-col de portes-saint vulbas.
This stage as an amount of about 220 km. What do you think of this stage?

Reactions: Sandisfan
The rumours about stage 5 talks about a start on saint jean de maurienne and a finish in saint vulbas. Is there a possibility of doing a decent mountain stage between saint jean maurienne and saint vulbas? Probably someone here knows better the region.
I used for fun the site cronoescalada, and i tried to do a decent mountain stage between these two places, so i created a stage that starts in sain jean maurienne and then goes by col du grand cucheron-col marocaz-le bourget du lac-mont du chat-col ordonnaz-serrieres de briod-col de portes-saint vulbas.
This stage as an amount of about 220 km. What do you think of this stage?
I think that completely unrealistic given that stage 1 and 2 are very stages and stage 4 is a proper mountain stage. Then we go back to the Alps later in the race, so more than one early stage in the high mountains seems like something that definitely wont happen.

Reactions: Froome
Sestriere-Montgenevre-Galibier is fine for stage 4

Edit: what I am more uncertain about is the amount of potentially uninteresting stages until the race gets to Pyrenees.

The first Pyrenees stage is rumored to be stage 14, so that's 9 stages of something-something-something to get there from the Alps.

Ok, there's Lioran, gravel stage and maybe TT, but potentially also up to 6 sprinter'y stages with not much happening

Last edited:
Valloire via Galibier

Should look like this.

tdf-2024-etape-04-v2.jpg

No, sorry can n't wait for the 2024 announcement, I'm already on to 2025 - :)
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...our-de-france-with-possible-return-of-cobbles
(quote)
After 3 consecutive departures from abroad (Copenhagen/Denmark in 2022, Bilbao/Spanish Basque Country in 2023 and Firenze/Northern Italy in 2024), it will be a Grand Départ in France for this 112th edition of the Grande Boucle, in all likelihood from the Hauts-de-France region.

The Ouest France newspaper was the first to break the news on Thursday afternoon. In the evening, France Bleu Nord confirmed the news. A little later, La Voix du Nord also picked up on this information, stating that it had received confirmation from several high-ranking MEL (Métropole Européenne de Lille) sources.

The local paper mentions three or four stages, starting from Lille, and imagines a return of the cobbles (last seen in the Tour de France 2022, on the stage between Lille and Arenberg), before indicating that "the peloton could also head for the Avesnois, and Picardy, which won't be forgotten". Lille has hosted the Grand Départ of the Tour de France twice before, in 1960 and in 1994.

To sum up, at this stage, Lille, Béthune, Saint-Quentin and Calais are the most likely starting and finishing points for the Grand Départ of the Tour de France 2025 in the Hauts-de-France region. At the end of November, the Grand Départ of the Tour de France 2025 should be officially announced!(end quote)

No, sorry can n't wait for the 2024 announcement, I'm already on to 2025 - :)
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...our-de-france-with-possible-return-of-cobbles
(quote)
After 3 consecutive departures from abroad (Copenhagen/Denmark in 2022, Bilbao/Spanish Basque Country in 2023 and Firenze/Northern Italy in 2024), it will be a Grand Départ in France for this 112th edition of the Grande Boucle, in all likelihood from the Hauts-de-France region.

The Ouest France newspaper was the first to break the news on Thursday afternoon. In the evening, France Bleu Nord confirmed the news. A little later, La Voix du Nord also picked up on this information, stating that it had received confirmation from several high-ranking MEL (Métropole Européenne de Lille) sources.

The local paper mentions three or four stages, starting from Lille, and imagines a return of the cobbles (last seen in the Tour de France 2022, on the stage between Lille and Arenberg), before indicating that "the peloton could also head for the Avesnois, and Picardy, which won't be forgotten". Lille has hosted the Grand Départ of the Tour de France twice before, in 1960 and in 1994.

To sum up, at this stage, Lille, Béthune, Saint-Quentin and Calais are the most likely starting and finishing points for the Grand Départ of the Tour de France 2025 in the Hauts-de-France region. At the end of November, the Grand Départ of the Tour de France 2025 should be officially announced!(end quote)

Are Ronse and Tournai also not candidate for a stage finish/start?

found the source:
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2022/1...se heeft zich,Sport Joris Vandenhoucke (CD&V).