• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024, Stage 1: Florence (Firenze) - Rimini, 206.0k

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Look, we all know what's going to happen here...
200w.gif
Arnold De Lie?

How is Van der Poel approaching this Tour? I could see him being in the select group at the end or could he even get separation on the final shallower climb?
I expect MVDP to approach this Tour like last year, when he used the Tour as training for Glasgow. This year, he'll use it as training for the Olympics. So he'll be the last leadout for Philipsen in sprints and then we might see him in a few breaks.

So no, I don't think he'll be there in the select group, especially if some teams like UAE set a hard tempo on the tough climbs.

You don't anything about safety. Of course the peloton will be nervous but after 1 or 2 climbs, some riders will be dropped and speed is lower in climbs so less crashes. This is obvious. Do you a want a flat stage with 170 riders together with 3 km to the finish?

i dont what about safety? i wasn't complaining about it, these are actually my favorite types of stages. but they are the most nervous stages they do all season. everyone wants to be at the front for the climbs at the end of the stage even moreso than on a flat sprint stage. especially when the yellow jersey is on offer.

i dont what about safety? i wasn't complaining about it, these are actually my favorite types of stages. but they are the most nervous stages they do all season. everyone wants to be at the front for the climbs at the end of the stage even moreso than on a flat sprint stage. especially when the yellow jersey is on offer.

This is basically a medium mountain stage. If UAE drills the group will be strongly reduced and weakened so way less nervous than in case of the whole peleton fighting for positions.

I Forgot to write know. But these type of stages are perfect to open a GT. Look to the Giro!