• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024, Stage 2: Cesenatico > Bologne (Bologna), 199.2 km

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So, guys, please explain to me, how Pog can actually win this tour? This was his terrain and the start of the tour where Jonas should not be 100%. Jonas is going to get better throughtough the tour whereas Pog will probably fade after the giro. I dont see any way how he could beat Jonas.
As someone else said, the race is won in the big hills.

This is just one test for Jonas. He passed with flying colors. He has other tests of his recovery in the coming days.

I didn't follow cycling yet back then, but I remember this classic intro all too well. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... it was the freaking Wide World of Sports! :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k1gajZeegg
Whenever I want to engage I have the full opening sequence with narration running in my head. But I guess I should give credit where it’s due, because watching that every Sat afternoon helped me develop my interest in many sports beyond mainstream American Leagues.

Vaughters is wasting energy on GC, Carapaz is a good racer but a little out classed. If " Big Vaught" had any sense he would see that Ben Healy and Alberto Bettiol have form and exploit it.. If EF supports either they can get a stage. Ben Healy obviously has something, just doesn't know what to do with it and when.. Roglic falling in the toilet today probably has Vaughters little mind racing and yes Carapaz could draft off of Remco..but come on..

Vaughters is not wasting any energy, he sits in a car or at home or wherever.

And Carapaz is a GC rider, what else should he be doing. A Gaudu? Bettiol and Healy form, yes, having Carapaz riding for GC and let Bettiol and Healy chase stages is not mutally exclusive. Stage 1 didn't work out, having Healy go there was rather stupid. Today was always highly unlikely to be good for those 2, unless somehow they were allowed in the break.

Reactions: saunaking
So, guys, please explain to me, how Pog can actually win this tour? This was his terrain and the start of the tour where Jonas should not be 100%. Jonas is going to get better throughtough the tour whereas Pog will probably fade after the giro. I dont see any way how he could beat Jonas.
Why do people seem to take it for granted that Jonas will get better? If anything, it seems more likely he'll have more problems as the tour goes on due to lack of racing and preparation. The truth is, we do not know, and most likely he doesn't know either. To make definite conclusions after stage two is... Brave. Though not something I'd characterize as wise.

CoDkJUz.png

Yates, A.
Jorgenson
Vingegaard
Pogi
Evenepoel
Van Gils
Carapaz
Mas

Vlasov
Ciccone

Rogla
Yates, S.
Ayuso
Martin, G.
Landa
Gall

Pidcock
Grégoire
Bernal
Buitrago
Bardet
Hindley
Rodriguez
Romo
Bilbao
Almeida

Last edited:
Watching Vingegaard answer that attack was enough for me to understand that Pog is not getting anything for free.

Remco jumped with Richard was fine but not convincing. Like I have already said a year ago, Roglic is never winning another GC, and he will fade out of top 10 this year is my prediction.

And now Pog has the yellow so mandatory scene appearances, doping control etc. Tiresome daily activities.

UAE seemed off today as a team. Scattered and strange moves by Ayuso, probably tired and not on top. Yates looks like Mauro G before he died of drugs, then revived, in the 90s, jacked, pumped and ready to go.

Reactions: nilfen
I get the impression that some people are surprised by Vingo's performance thus far, and I cannot understand why. Did people really think the two-time defending TdF winner was going to show up in substandard form for battle with Pogacar?
I expected Vingo to be in excellent form and that he'll get better as the Tour progresses. He's still the favorite, IMO. I say this as a Pog fan.

Remco on the podium looking like he would like to fight someone
Funny completely different..You see the uncontrollable ear to ear smile, getting polka dots, green, and most combative.. Guy is genuinely surprised at where he finds himself. Remco is truly disappointed and thinks he should be achieving more..
And his brain is saying, had I jumped immediately, I could have beat both going down hill and for sure on flat ground!!
Remco's speed is amazing!!

Reactions: AnotherArmChair