• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024, Stage 2: Cesenatico > Bologne (Bologna), 199.2 km

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't see Jorgenson doing Kuss things, for one, hence i expect for Jonas to be easily isolated in mountains. But OK, i get it, Jonas is the best in mountains, ergo he doesn't really need Kuss or his team over there. We'll see.
Mate, everybody will be isolated in the mountains, minutes behind these two. It's not that important. The super domestiques will just pace hard before launching them.

Sub-optimal for sure, but the post you quote was outright false:
Yep, especially since Vingegaard has not been able to train on his TT bike since the crash.
He has been able to train on it, and the team has not tried to hide that.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
CoDkJUz.png

Yates, A.
Jorgenson
Vingegaard
Pogi
Evenepoel
Van Gils
Carapaz
Mas

Vlasov
Ciccone

Rogla
Yates, S.
Ayuso
Martin, G.
Landa
Gall

Pidcock
Grégoire
Bernal
Buitrago
Bardet
Hindley
Rodriguez
Romo
Bilbao
Almeida
You can always count on Enric to lose contact on the descent.

busy weekend so didn't react.. but my takes:

- Vingegaard pretty much as I expected. You know Visma is just playing everyone. Same with Van Aert, who also seems just as good as normal.
- UAE surprised me, I thought they would be way more aggresive to try and take advantage early. Especially since these are explosive stages. This could mean either Pogacar wasn't as sure about his shape either with the Covid he had, or that UAE have learned from last year and try to keep more in the tank for the toughest stages. Not sure.
- Surprising to see both days taken by breaks.
- Caparaz much better than I expected. Hope he can confirm this in real mountain stages.

Reactions: meat puppet
I don't buy into the UAE hate - unless there was a stage win and bonus seconds up for grabs yesterday they knew there was little to gain from smashing that stage. It was a 6 minute effort - the true test will come when Jonas has to go deep for 40 mins + in week 3 - the lack of training and racing will bite him in week 3.

Almeida pulled for Yates in Suisse, Yates pulled for Pog y'day. Almeida is ideal for those long mountain climbs as he's able to pull at a high pace, and once Pog or Yates take over then he's able to keep plugging on and mop up the dropped GC guys - very similar mould to Kuss.

When the time comes in the high mountains they will go Sivakov -> Ayuso -> Almeida -> Yates -> Pog and Jonas will be all alone very quickly.

If they can keep Almeida or Yates up there on GC - then they can attack out of the peloton and force Jonas to stick or chase - much like the Roglic / Jonas double team on Pog a few years back.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
So am I right in thinking the following groups formed on the last ascent of San Luca, before Pog attacked

Yates, Jorgenson, Vinge, Pog, Carapaz, Evenepol, Mas were the group in front

Next - Rog and S Yates were behind a few seconds

Next yellow jersey group inc 3 Ineos, Ayuso, Almeida, Gall, Bardet, VanGils, Gall, Gregoire & Landa

I know its only a short climb but if the above is correct you would have to ask questions of Ineos, Roglic and Uae duo of A&A