• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024, Stage 4: Pinerolo > Valloire, 139.6 km

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I couldn't tell whether Vingegaard was on the cusp of cracking big time. Did he just get gapped or was he well over the limit? If there had been another 2k of stout climbing left what would have happened? Would have he needed to back off to the pace of the other GC guys? In that case, he needs to get A LOT better if he's going to drop Pogacar in week three.

He was only 9 seconds off at the KOM, and lost by far most descending - predmoninatly on the easier high speed parts.

He definitely looked beat at the KOM though, but that might be from just giving everything to the KOM line, knowing a long freewheeling descent followed.

Went about as expected. Meaning a great stage that gave us a taste of everything we wanted. Never thought I’d be pulling for Remco so hard but happy to see him doing well and hoping he’s not blowing his load. Vingegaard still in good enough shape to be a threat. UAE very strong and Ayuso scamming Almeida for 15 seconds by sitting in the back despite looking weaker. Roglic… hoping he’s going for the 3rd week peak.

Reactions: jmdirt
Ullrich on German Eurosport saying that Ayuso's behavior might lead to problems down the line, less so for challenging Pogacar but rather that Almeida and Yates will at some point ask - "why do we go full in, and this guy gets rewarded for setting a fake pace at front".

Valid point.
was thinking exactly this, only reason Almeida lost time today vs Ayuso was his fake pace; he must be damn pissed

Congratulations to Tadej Pogačar for winning the stage in epic fashion.

UAE had everything under control and really did some damage, riding as a team. Now in my opinion they (Pogi) were aiming for a bit more, headwind and some team members not pacing high enough preventing from that to happen. Nonetheless Pogi did what he came for, by launching in the last km and Jonas and the rest shifting some time. Some teams, like Visma and Bora, really falling apart, question here being was it up to a point a tactical decision, as the script on what UAE plans to do wasn't exactly a top secret. Jonas in addition seems confident, that he will be able to respond going deeper in the race. Considering Remco is rather consistent so far and Rogla still alive and kicking. Ineos resolving the leadership questions, but i somehow feel that Rodríguez was the leader from the get go. In my opinion not only leaders but teams as a whole, their form to fluctuate through the race. It should be interesting to see on who profits from such power dynamics the most!

Almeida's getting angry with Ayuso was one of the biggest 'get out of jail' cards for Roglic I've ever seen.

He could have lost two minutes if Almeida had kept pushing.

That's not to say Ayuso wasn't to blame, it was just perfect timing for Roglic for that to happen right at that moment.
Roglic must have used up all his luck in 5 minutes. Landa riding like an idiot, saving Roglic' bacon when he was about to drop.

He was only 9 seconds off at the KOM, and lost by far most descending - predmoninatly on the easier high speed parts.

He definitely looked beat at the KOM though, but that might be from just giving everything to the KOM line, knowing a long freewheeling descent followed.
Except it wasn't a freewheeling descent by Tadej or the guys that caught up to Jonas. Tadej laid down power well past the KOM to get up to speed and then could recover. Another km of climbing would have only doubled the gap. Good tactical riding on Tadej's part.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
Congratulations to Tadej Pogačar for winning the stage in epic fashion.

UAE had everything under control and really did some damage, riding as a team. Now in my opinion they (Pogi) were aiming for a bit more, headwind and some team members not pacing high enough preventing from that to happen. Nonetheless Pogi did what he came for, by launching in the last km and Jonas and the rest shifting some time. Some teams, like Visma and Bora, really falling apart, question here being was it up to a point a tactical decision, as the script on what UAE plans to do wasn't exactly a top secret. Jonas in addition seems confident, that he will be able to respond going deeper in the race. Considering Remco is rather consistent so far and Rogla still alive and kicking. Ineos resolving the leadership questions, but i somehow feel that Rodríguez was the leader from the get go. In my opinion not only leaders but teams as a whole, their form to fluctuate through the race. It should be interesting to see on who profits from such power dynamics the most!
It would have been a bonus to fans if Bernal and Mateo had hung on, too. Having Ineos with several threats would have made it better for the other contenders. Stage 4 and every team pretty much know who their show ponies are for the time being.