• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2025 route rumours and announcements

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If they do Alpe d'Huez. What is the earliest time it is plausible they do that? I consider a hiking trip around the Ecrins national park, and would therefore need to stay in Bourg d'Oisans or surroundings before and after the hike. And will choose dates to avoid the Tour circus. La Marmotte takes place the last weekeend in June, so I'll also try to avoid that. But stays in Bourg d'Oisans at 3. and 13. July seems like an opportunity. Given the Tour start at 5.July, it's not very likeley they will be in that area as early as 13th?

Reactions: Sandisfan
If they do Alpe d'Huez. What is the earliest time it is plausible they do that? I consider a hiking trip around the Ecrins national park, and would therefore need to stay in Bourg d'Oisans or surroundings before and after the hike. And will choose dates to avoid the Tour circus. La Marmotte takes place the last weekeend in June, so I'll also try to avoid that. But stays in Bourg d'Oisans at 3. and 13. July seems like an opportunity. Given the Tour start at 5.July, it's not very likeley they will be in that area as early as 13th?
Everything I've seen points to Pyrenees before Alps, with neither of those before the first rest day on July 15. So I think the earliest possible date for Alpe d'Huez is July 20.

I don't believe ASO have the guts to do alpe d'huez and reason are very obvious.

How they will explain? Better nutrition? Well, clinical issues.
The same way athletics does. Just act like the records of yesteryear don't count if they're from "undesirable" cheaters, and treat them with a nod and a wink if they're from "acceptable" cheaters. And certainly don't question any of the performances coming in now, because technology is so much better (mind you, they're also building faster tracks now, which I don't think they could really buy as an argument with road cycling).

The same way athletics does. Just act like the records of yesteryear don't count if they're from "undesirable" cheaters, and treat them with a nod and a wink if they're from "acceptable" cheaters. And certainly don't question any of the performances coming in now, because technology is so much better (mind you, they're also building faster tracks now, which I don't think they could really buy as an argument with road cycling).

Perhaps not but there have certainly been more advancements in bikes than in shoes since the 90s.

Reactions: Salvarani

"If we calculate everything and at 23 kmh, we therefore have 5 watts for the tires, 4 w aero for the frame, nothing on the rigidity, nothing on the transition, 5 w on the lubrication, helmet/outfit canceling each other out. We are therefore on 14 w of material gain between 1999 and 2024 at 23 kmh, I specify at this speed! The faster we go, the more the aero gains will save watts to ride at 40 kmh. Pogi on the Beille plateau at 23 kmh would have dissipated 14 w more on Pantani's equipment, or 0.5 kmh cost or 50s slower."

"If we calculate everything and at 23 kmh, we therefore have 5 watts for the tires, 4 w aero for the frame, nothing on the rigidity, nothing on the transition, 5 w on the lubrication, helmet/outfit canceling each other out. We are therefore on 14 w of material gain between 1999 and 2024 at 23 kmh, I specify at this speed! The faster we go, the more the aero gains will save watts to ride at 40 kmh. Pogi on the Beille plateau at 23 kmh would have dissipated 14 w more on Pantani's equipment, or 0.5 kmh cost or 50s slower."
Ignoring the heavier bike that Pogacar had...

Are you really trying to justify 3 and half minutes?

• Wow
Better asphalt?

• Haha