• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2025 route rumours and announcements

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Two good ways to order a route with both Finestre and Granon, one south to north, one north to south;

Stage n: ??? - Gap (obligatory if they enter the Alps from the south)
Stage n+1: Embrun or Gap - Granon (Vars, Izoard)
Stage n+2: Briançon - Sestrière (Galibier, Mont Cenis, Finestre)
(transfer through the Fréjus tunnel)
Stage n+3: Modane or Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne - somewhere further north in the Alps

Stage n: ??? - Granon (Galibier)
Stage n+1: Briançon - Sestrière (either the same route as in the previous example, or if you don't want to double up on climbs, Izoard, Montgenèvre, Finestre)
Stage n+2: Pinerolo - southern French Alps (e.g. Lombarde - Bonette - Jausiers finish like in 2008)

Why would you hope for those two climbs to be used together? The only scenario where Finestre isn't wasted is if the race explodes with like 100k to go, in which case the Granon would be wasted.

You know you can also wish for a queen stage to the Granon before a short "Briancon-Montgenevre-Finestre-Sestriere" stage. That would be way better imo.

Reactions: Sandisfan
what is the category beyond HC?

Whatever that is, the Finestre gets it. Single hardest climb in cycling
No longer, I'm afraid.

IMG_1185.jpeg

IMG_1183.jpeg

APM coefficient of 688, to Finestre's 487.

While the coefficient is flawed (it does not have a means to take altitude or surface into account, so Finestre ranks below Zoncolan, Angliru, Hochtor and Gamoniteiro), I do believe that 18km at 11% with large brick-paved sections and ramps of over 20% - being battered by the wind coming in from the coast as well - gives it the edge.

No longer, I'm afraid.

IMG_1185.jpeg

IMG_1183.jpeg

APM coefficient of 688, to Finestre's 487.

While the coefficient is flawed (it does not have a means to take altitude or surface into account, so Finestre ranks below Zoncolan, Angliru, Hochtor and Gamoniteiro), I do believe that 18km at 11% with large brick-paved sections and ramps of over 20% - being battered by the wind coming in from the coast as well - gives it the edge.

what climb is that?

The rankings I have seen of Finestre (albeit more than 10 years ago) puts it well harder than Mortirolo, Zoncolon, and Angliru. Mainly due to the length, the constant gradient providing no rest, as well as the final 8km being gravel. The climb you posted likely would be harder, however

Reactions: Sandisfan