• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France Femmes 2022 (July 24th-31st)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 28, 2022
Visit site
We can't know how strong Cecilie was because she never put her face in the wind on that climb. She looked to be climbing well within herself. Female Simon Gerrans.
Ha. That's exactly what I said to my wife as we watched - the female Simon Gerrans. There is no class in riding like that.

Last edited:
AVV is just far superior to the others in mountainous stages. Quite a big gulf in class. Will be a lot more equal after she retires.

I wonder whether she'll reconsider that retirement if she can maintain her dominance into her 40's?

In any case, I hope for another hot stage today & Katarzyna Niewiadoma is the one to watch. Like yesterday. Like everyday really.

YwZQ8tv.jpg

A possible climber for the future, (providing she's interested in the road) is young Austrian MTB-er, Mona Mitterwallner; a lightweight climber, who seems to love training, and racks up plenty of kms, and for a 20 year old is already Elite XC Marathon World Champion, which is normally reserved for older athletes. Has very little explosivity at the start of races, and loses places.

I have no idea if she has any road ambitions, but she seems to have the tools for the job.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
A possible climber for the future, (providing she's interested in the road) is young Austrian MTB-er, Mona Mitterwallner; a lightweight climber, who seems to love training, and racks up plenty of kms, and for a 20 year old is already Elite XC Marathon World Champion, which is normally reserved for older athletes. Has very little explosivity at the start of races, and loses places.

I have no idea if she has any road ambitions, but she seems to have the tools for the job.

I'd love to see Mitterwallner doing more road races. The same goes for Laura Stigger and Sina Frei.

Jul 31, 2022
Visit site
Hands up anyone else who is watching the Eurosport/GCN coverage with the volume turned off because they can't stand Marty MacDonald's commentary style?

I'm wondering if there is some sort of contractual requirement to say both the first and last names of every rider (and the full team names?), because the men's race commentary just say the ride's surname.

And then for good measure, he'll often say the riders full name and then their teams immediately afterwards, and in the same sentence repeat it. The mens commentary doesn't have this repetitive verbal style, which allows more time to discuss the race, and Marty's technique simply rider spots.

And now he's started translating "Maillot Jaune" at every opportunity........... all very distracting, not entertaining, and detracts from the race action.
Not just me then, I can’t listen for all the reasons you mention plus his way of changing up his delivery with a growly/snarly “final few yards of a horse race” style, often at completely random words. Would love to watch more women’s cycling but not with this commentary. On a positive note I quite like the two Dani’s.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
Some great climbers in that breakaway, although the gap doesn't look even close to enough to make them viable stage winners. And even if they do, I presume Patiño is just going to sit on all of them as long as she can and it would need García to be back to her Giro form - Rooijakkers and Chabbey being up there are obviously potential stagehunting threats, but also are potentially going to have a job to do for Niewiadoma, likewise Brown for Uttrup. Interesting if Santestebán's group gets across but I just think that if Demi has any serious ambitions towards the race and makes a move, or if anybody within a minute of 3rd pushes the pace in the hope of dropping Kasia, then we certainly aren't going to see too much likelihood of the break staying away with less than 2 minutes' advantage at this point, unless the heads of state decide to roll through on the Ballon.

Understandable, but I need half the peloton to abandon to win green and polka dots.

Miekanical!
I need a complete paradox to win the polka dots, I don't think I can mathematically take them unless Demi abandons, and I picked Demi for the overall because of course I picked Demi. I thought Chabbey would probably have gone about collecting a few before the GC leaders went nuts yesterday, but there were no points given out before they went nuts at all...

Reactions: Samu Cuenca