• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France, Stage 21: Creteil - Paris!!, 95 km

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
EiffelTowerSmall.jpg

WE MADE IT!

This year's thrilling Tour has finally made it to Paris, and Cadel Evans has nothing left but a victory parade around the Champs Elysses from his 1st Tour Victory!

alg_arcdetriomphe.jpg

Just below the appropriately named Arc de Triomphe, the final podiums will be presented, and the Australian National Anthem will play!

And by the way, this year's Random Paris Suburb to host the start is Creteil. Just a short ride into Paris, and then the circuits begin!!

tdf2011_21sp_600.jpg

AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE! A well deserved victory lap for Cadel and the ACF Mafia!

australian-flag.jpg

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
This stage, however, won't be ALL fun and games. There's still a race to be had.
One last chance for THE SPRINTERS!

Who will win?

bettiniphoto_0086166_1_full_600.jpg

Can Mark Cavendish cap another great Tour with a 5th stage win and a 3rd straight Champs Elysses win, and seal his Green Jersey?

pic210104846_600.jpg

Can OPL take it to HTC and get Andre Greipel another stage win over his faster rival?

bettiniphoto_0084761_1_full_600.jpg

Can Garmin-Cervelo finish off a FANTASTIC Tour in Epic Style, by finally beating HTC on the Champs and taking Tyler Farrar to victory?

bettiniphoto_0085135_1_full_600.jpg

Can Norway's Edvald Boasson Hagen finish a great Tour with a beautiful win for the grieving Norwegians? It would be wonderful to watch!

And that's all the pictures allowed in one post, BUT there are others...

J.J. Rojas would have gotten a picture, HAD HE WON A STAGE! But he's been consistent, and it's kept him close enough in the Points Competition. Can he pull off a HUGE upset?

To quote Phil Liggett from last year: "Is Thor Hushovd gonna pull off the big surprise?" He was put in a great position last year and couldn't cut it. Can the World Champ get another win, or will he be working for Farrar?

Will Alessandro Petacchi please stand up? He's been nowhere so far this Tour, but will he show up in the Grand Finale?

And will someone try to pull off a Vino? Philippe Gilbert, anyone?

WHAT A GREAT END TO A GREAT TOUR!

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
Cadel to get dropped on the hill prior to Vincennes as he's taking a sip of champagne and both Schlecks to get taken down by a crash because of a rampaging fan standing too close to the road.

In a stunning turn of events, Voeckler to win the tour as the New Bernard Hinault sets a blistering tempo in the field.

I look forward to seeing them pour Champaigne, and see Sammy in the polkas, on the road, with the champagne and on the podium, celebrating Sammy style by acting as if he is an 8 year old who has just gotten a playstation, every step of the way.

Also I look forward to the national anthems.

Since the Spanish get messed with, with the Tour playing the Danish national anthem in 09 and the Giro playing the Franco version this year, i do hope that the TDF organisers mistake will be to play "Toms Traubert Blues" by Tom Waits which contains a chrous of "Waltzing Matilda" rather than the real "Waltzing Matilda" which exciting as it may be, is less likely to get me standing on my feet with my hand on my heart, or at least to keep me in that position after La Marseillie brings me to it.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not able (because of work) to tune in to the action till 15:00 tomorrow - will this see me miss the action (the sprint finish to the line specifically)?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I was going to give you a good telling-off because of your fanboyism, but you know, I could see this happening.

I could also say Cav, but what's the point of making a prediction like that. We all know Cav will win, but let's keep the hope alive even if it's just for the lulz.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
De Gendt to pull off a Vino :p with Roy and Voeckler in his wheel :p

Roy, Voeckler, Gilbert, Hushovd, De Gendt should really try tomorrow. A group like that would be hard to pull back. Although Roy is probably dead tired and I don't think Hushovd cares all that much anymore.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Roy, Voeckler, Gilbert, Hushovd, De Gendt should really try tomorrow. A group like that would be hard to pull back. Although Roy is probably dead tired and I don't think Hushovd cares all that much anymore.

He had the best tour of his career, 3 stages and 7/8 days in yellow? I wouldn't bother if I were him tbh :p

but I doubt any attackers will stay away. Pate and Bak will pace Martin to the last km, he'll put in a blistering pace and Eisel followed by Renshaw will once again show the world how to do a lead-out.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Why would Hushovd try? There arent any mountains :rolleyes:

Perhaps he'll get tempted by the terrible cobbled stones at the Champs Elysees. Better hope Cancellara is in better form then otherwise Hushovd won't now what to do :D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Contador is the new Vino.

He became it when he attacked on the Galibier 90k from the end, just like Vino.

They also have the Astana connection, and that other connection.

Also the Liberty Seguros connection :p

Would be sweet if Contador attacked tomorrow. Slim chance of that happening though. But hey, why not? It's not like he has anything to lose.

El Pistolero said:
Also the Liberty Seguros connection :p

Would be sweet if Contador attacked tomorrow. Slim chance of that happening though. But hey, why not? It's not like he has anything to lose.

He's not Vino or Cancellara. If he attacked, HTC would close it down within seconds.

He'll cruise round Paris in the peloton with his head held high, though. He's ridden with great pride and dignity during these past 3 weeks.

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Agreed. So, I'm going to tip the closest thing to Vino we still have: De Gendt and Hoogerland on a tandem.

I would love that.

On a rare serious note, don't you think the pure sprinters Renshaw and Cavendish will be still in pain tomorrow from the hurt of the Alps and that the victor will be a tough-guy sprinter? e.g. a Norweigan, a Greiple or maybe even aRojas!?