• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 4: Lorient - Mur de Bretagne - 172.5 km

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Interesting day. Played out how I thought. Show’s not many can follow Alberto’s acceleration. Andy looks to be running scared. If Conta can gain 6-8 seconds in 1km imagine what he’s going to do over 7-10km. Andy is not on form. He should have been up there. I wonder if Alberto will school him about “being up the front” when the race is unfolding?
I guess the question is if having the giro and the tdf back to back a good thing or a bad thing

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Come on Gesink :( you can do these types of climbs in one day races. Also any Andy fans don't worry his "magic" form will be ready for the mountains.

SiAp1984 said:
AC not able to drop the GC guys on a steep climb- that's new. OK, the climb was short, but it was steep enough for him. If Andy has lost some seconds that's just because this kind of climb still does not fit him (like last year when AC chased Vino down on that one stage on a similar climb). Another nice fact: No stage win for AC. Evans seems to be in great shape. Nice to see him taking the glory. Will be exciting to see what he will be able to do in the Alps or the Pyrenees. Oh, and personally I am glad that Klöden was also there today.

Just like Schleck could win LBL of course, it was not his terrain. After the TTT this is the second time he was tested and it was the second time he didn't answer.

Contador and steep small climbs. Remember Fleche Wallone last year? He is good, but in the end doesn't have the explosion to distance himself. His strength is explode on a longer climb, he keeps his acceleration no matter how long the climb is, its not the acceleration an sich.

SiAp1984 said:
AC not able to drop the GC guys on a steep climb- that's new. OK, the climb was short, but it was steep enough for him.

Mûr-de-Bretagne_profile.jpg

Anyway he dropped Andy by 8 seconds, and they are the GC guys.

BYOP88 said:
Also any Andy fans don't worry his "magic" form will be ready for the mountains.

Yeah there's a rest day before then right?

Finn84 said:
Good to see Evans finally winning Tour stage. Well, he has one win in 2007 but didn't get to celebrate that back then since it was only due to original winner Vino being busted for doping.

Or as Ligget twisted it "for allegedly taking drugs". You only say "allegedly" before the verdict. The guy was banned.

SiAp1984 said:
AC not able to drop the GC guys on a steep climb- that's new. OK, the climb was short, but it was steep enough for him. If Andy has lost some seconds that's just because this kind of climb still does not fit him (like last year when AC chased Vino down on that one stage on a similar climb). Another nice fact: No stage win for AC. Evans seems to be in great shape. Nice to see him taking the glory. Will be exciting to see what he will be able to do in the Alps or the Pyrenees. Oh, and personally I am glad that Klöden was also there today.

Yep this is a bad sign for AC and a great sign for Andy. Or something.:rolleyes:

May 26, 2009
Visit site
We will see how Contador has recovered from the Giro on the last mountain stages. A 4-5min sprint at the end of a stage doesn't really tell anything. A.Schleck's form should be clear after the Pyrenees.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Jan the Man said:
At least 5 minutes over Contador before he gets to the mountains and 3:30 over Schleck.

Cadel will likely lose time on stages 12, 14, 18 & 19 to Contador.
probally right but in sport ANYTHING is possible

Im not giving up just yet....

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
SiAp1984 said:
AC not able to drop the GC guys on a steep climb- that's new. OK, the climb was short, but it was steep enough for him.
But coming a day after a TTT in which AC did a s**tload of work, not too surprising that he didn't have his normal explosiveness. Anyway, I think it was more a shot across the bow than anything - if he'd really wanted to gain time, he'd have attacked straight away at the bottom of the climb.

But yeah, Evans looks good so far - hope he can hold it together for this Tour.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Animal said:
Or as Ligget twisted it "for allegedly taking drugs". You only say "allegedly" before the verdict. The guy was banned.

Dunno how you stand the itv4 pair, a complete pair of eejits. Eurosport all the way

May 26, 2009
Visit site
VeloCity said:
But coming a day after a TTT in which AC did a s**tload of work, not too surprising that he didn't have his normal explosiveness. Anyway, I think it was more a shot across the bow than anything - if he'd really wanted to gain time, he'd have attacked straight away at the bottom of the climb.

But yeah, Evans looks good so far - hope he can hold it together for this Tour.

I guess most of the GC conteders did a ****load of work - some of them are just better time trialers so they spent more time at the front. I mean if you look at this from the perspective of energy wasted.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cadel this year looks like Valverde in 2008 (no clinic implications intended). He is obviously on great form but I wonder if he can stay at this level for the next two and a half weeks.