• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 4: Lorient - Mur de Bretagne - 172.5 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It's only 1 k at 10%, not impossible, just unlikely.

M%C3%BBr-de-Bretagne_profile.jpg

Whoops, I guess I can't read. I assumed each block was 1km because that's usually how these things work for summit finishes. I guess this finale isn't as hard as I thought.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Jamsque said:

Whoops, I guess I can't read. I assumed each block was 1km because that's usually how these things work for summit finishes. I guess this finale isn't as hard as I thought.

It will be as hard as they race it - which today wilöl be hard.

Tommy V and Vino I think will go early and blow the group appart.

Sammy and Contador want to make up time - Andy and Frank will choose a *** each and follow those 2

Evans and Gilbert want the win

etc etc

There will be decent time gaps.

Jamsque said:

I guess your geographical knowledge of Europe needs improvement:D
If every Block was one Km that would mean that there were like 1000m high mountains in the Bretagne:D

I would love to see Vino win the stage, just not sure if he has the acceleration to get away from Gilbert on the up hill. For the most part, I think you will probably see about 5-10 riders after the 8-10% part of the climb together to sprint out for the finish, which would heavily favor Cunego.

The last km is basically flat, so unless a climber can get a substantial distance on the steep part, very few would have the power to stay away from a group on flatish roads.

Vino would seem like the second favorite, but it depends on what happened on the stage 1 attack. Did he not have the acceleration to get to far away, or did he realize he went to early and just stepped back and finished in the group?

I think Contador will give it a try today. I dont see it as too much energy expended, you talking about only 2 km. Everybody is talking about the time between him and Schleck, but I think is first need is to clear out the contenders in between them 2, if for nothing else, for the mental aspect.

I think it will be a Gilbert/Cunego battle, maybe with a 2-3 second gap from the rest because of the sprint they can produce.

Carl0880 said:
I would love to see Vino win the stage, just not sure if he has the acceleration to get away from Gilbert on the up hill. For the most part, I think you will probably see about 5-10 riders after the 8-10% part of the climb together to sprint out for the finish, which would heavily favor Cunego.

The last km is basically flat, so unless a climber can get a substantial distance on the steep part, very few would have the power to stay away from a group on flatish roads.

Vino would seem like the second favorite, but it depends on what happened on the stage 1 attack. Did he not have the acceleration to get to far away, or did he realize he went to early and just stepped back and finished in the group?

I think Contador will give it a try today. I dont see it as too much energy expended, you talking about only 2 km. Everybody is talking about the time between him and Schleck, but I think is first need is to clear out the contenders in between them 2, if for nothing else, for the mental aspect.

I think it will be a Gilbert/Cunego battle, maybe with a 2-3 second gap from the rest because of the sprint they can produce.

Cunego didn't look impressive in the first stage.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I was talking about uphill finishes, cadel is better.

Major mountain top finishes, no

Uphill, classic-style climbs, yes

Not that we have a lot of past races to compare on that last one.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok, going to say that the break will stay away today. When you think about it I don't see who will really chase the break other than Lotto. I think there is a possiblity that they will want other teams to chase of which they sit up and look at them.

The winner of the stage will take POlka dot, can't say I like the KOM points system this year.

auscyclefan94 said:
You must of had strange expectations. His actual form is totally unknown like pretty much every tdf contender. The first day we will possibly see any cracks is the stage to Super Besse. Did you seriously think he would be dropped on the bridge?
Talk about strange

Here was my PCM 11 result after a full tour (I was fdjeux)

1 Cadel Evans BMC Racing Team 83h45'38
2 Alberto Contador Saxo Bank - Sungard + 48
3 Andy Schleck Leopard - Trek + 2'02
4 Robert Gesink Rabobank + 5'59
5 Samuel Sánchez Euskaltel - Euskadi + 6'01
6 Jurgen Van den Broeck Omega Pharma - Lotto + 6'51
7 Ivan Basso Liquigas - Cannondale + 8'11
8 Alexandre Vinokourov Pro Team Astana + 9'31
9 Chris Horner Team RadioShack + 9'57
10 Fränk Schleck Leopard - Trek + 11'55

So prepare the balloons, Evans is going to win the Tour 2011...

Captain_Cavman said:
Break stands no chance with all the big teams motivated to close it down.

The big teams have got to learn not to contribute to the chase and let OPL do all the work. There's a risk that the break will succeed, but if OPL arrive fresh, close to the finish, we'll see a repeat of Saturday.

Contribute nothing, let OPL do all the work and then attack the **** out of them. If Gilbert's team mates are all used up, he'll be forced to chase each one himself.

That's the only way Gilbert's not going to win today.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
The big teams have got to learn not to contribute to the chase and let OPL do all the work. There's a risk that the break will succeed, but if OPL arrive fresh, close to the finish, we'll see a repeat of Saturday.

Contribute nothing, let OPL do all the work and then attack the **** out of them. If Gilbert's team mates are all used up, he'll be forced to chase each one himself.

That's the only way Gilbert's not going to win today.

I agree VDB2 must be a happy camper at the moment - not really but I guess he stays at the front as well and they were not going to be help when it goes up, but still

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Talk about strange

Here was my PCM 11 result after a full tour (I was fdjeux)

1 Cadel Evans BMC Racing Team 83h45'38
2 Alberto Contador Saxo Bank - Sungard + 48
3 Andy Schleck Leopard - Trek + 2'02
4 Robert Gesink Rabobank + 5'59
5 Samuel Sánchez Euskaltel - Euskadi + 6'01
6 Jurgen Van den Broeck Omega Pharma - Lotto + 6'51
7 Ivan Basso Liquigas - Cannondale + 8'11
8 Alexandre Vinokourov Pro Team Astana + 9'31
9 Chris Horner Team RadioShack + 9'57
10 Fränk Schleck Leopard - Trek + 11'55

Considering you TTT "success", I think we'll all ignore this. :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
just some guy said:
As Timmy noted Evans is not a lean as the other GT guys

Wiggins would be more of a worry - talk about thin, maybe Andy will get a cold here hoping
I find this point amusing. He is slightly more muscular than some of the others but if you have seen him in a race or just in casual clothes he is just as skinny as any cyclist.
Dekker_Tifosi said:

I think I will do more than just prepare balloons if that happens but there is a long way to go. As Cadel says, "So far so good"

Very wet and windy in Brittany, very possible a GC contender could lose a lot of time today.