• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 4: Lorient - Mur de Bretagne - 172.5 km

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Wergeland said:
Thor didn't wheelsuck today. Sammy Sanchez sucked Thors wheel on the steep part and on the flat when Hushovd himself closed the gap to the front group.

Well, I just tried to make a joke. Thor did a great job today, really impressing I have to say. I never excpected anything like this from him.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Chapeau to Hushovd - ride of the day and of course to Evans.

Amazing to see sprinters outclimb Andy Schleck and gesink. Hope to see more of that in the mountains.

It doesnt really matter whether Sammy Sanchez loses time or not.

You've got a keen eye, Christopher!
Today was Hushovd-day, and will be remembered and revered as such, at least until tomorrow.
Thor's performance today was in a league of its own. Chapeau!

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
Folks would be dumb to do so. I am looking forward to the excuses though. :p One day and 8 seconds. It's not the end of the world, but it is a troubling sign for him.

I am hoping he has enough left in week 3 to put the hammer down on Schleck like Schleck deserves to have it put to him. If not, go Cadel! I used to like Andy, but he has worn thin a bit.

The whole chain affair and the numerous advantages given to him by his team that never were quite put in their proper perspective. The neutralized stage and the cobbles, and "why don't his competitors wait for him to figure out how to operate the only piece of equipment that he gets paid millions of dollars to know how to operate?" But enough griping about 2010...

I find him rather likable and pretty funny, he translates quite well to an american audience, perhaps that's why so many of the most virulent LA-bashers bash him with almost as much passion. But enough chatter, stringbean, win something already, or it's 'All hat and no cattle' - syndrome. I'd rather try and decipher AC's english and 'my team did it all' sponsor friendly approach.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
I think I can speak for ALL Americans when I say we like to root for the underdogs.

That explains why we like PouPou so much.

Boo AC Boo. Boo Boo Boo.
Go Tommy, Go Tommy, it's your birthday it's your birthday.

Yeah, you sure do. That's the reason why like 5000 billion people root for the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, LA Lakers, Boston Celtics...

luckyboy said:
It looked more like he got stuck behind Evans and then tried to get back to VDB's wheel to me.

It doesn't really matter though. When a team mate has a gap, whatever the reason, you don't close it yourself. Everybody was so afraid of Gilbert (they didn't know he wouldn't be able to deliver at that point), that they wouldn't be likely to close the gap on JVDB just to be pummeled by Gilbert after they did the dirty work. By going after JVDB, he not only blew JVDB's chances, but his own as well. This was a bull**** move by Gilbert.

PS: i'm a bit surprised by some comments about Schleck & Gesink "not having the punch" for this kind of finish. I didn't know guys like Klöden, JVDB, Wiggins etc were known for their "punch"? Yet they all finished higher.

Polish said:
I think I can speak for ALL Americans when I say we like to root for the underdogs.

That explains why we like PouPou so much.

Boo AC Boo. Boo Boo Boo.
Go Tommy, Go Tommy, it's your birthday it's your birthday.

You sure Don't speak for me! I am in Awe of Strength and Excellence not *** whining and being dragged through TTTs and miraculously finding form year after year. Baby Schleck had Alot to prove to me!

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Logic-is-your-friend said:
It doesn't really matter though. When a team mate has a gap, whatever the reason, you don't close it yourself. Everybody was so afraid of Gilbert (they didn't know he wouldn't be able to deliver at that point), that they wouldn't be likely to close the gap on JVDB just to be pummeled by Gilbert after they did the dirty work. By going after JVDB, he not only blew JVDB's chances, but his own as well. This was a bull**** move by Gilbert.

PS: i'm a bit surprised by some comments about Schleck & Gesink "not having the punch" for this kind of finish. I didn't know guys like Klöden, JVDB, Wiggins etc were known for their "punch"? Yet they all finished higher.

first,

today contador wasn't afrais of anyone.--ANYONE. he attacked and burned gilbert completely and attacked again. i believe that he was going to chase vdb.

second,

i believe that vdb did that to launch gilbert's sprint. i bet gilbert tough the same. it really looks like vdb was leading gilbert's sprint but he then exploded.

A

Anonymous

c&cfan said:
first,

today contador wasn't afrais of anyone.--ANYONE. he attacked and burned gilbert completely and attacked again. i believe that he was going to chase vdb.

second,

i believe that vdb did that to launch gilbert's sprint. i bet gilbert tough the same. it really looks like vdb was leading gilbert's sprint but he then exploded.

Or he couldn't believe his own teammate was chasing his attack... and he sat up.

Gilbert should have followed someone else across to VDB and then counter attacked. Closing that gap himself cost him the stage and probably any future help from VDB.

Gilbert probably already knows they won't be on the same team next year and slightly over-estimated himself. End of.

Scott SoCal said:
Or he couldn't believe his own teammate was chasing his attack... and he sat up.

Looked like he got his lead because the riders behind peeled off and he was left on the left side of the road. He then never changed pace or rhythm even after Contador initiated the sprint as the road flattened out.

Gilbert should have followed someone else across to VDB and then counter attacked. Closing that gap himself cost him the stage and probably any future help from VDB.

Gilbert probably already knows they won't be on the same team next year and slightly over-estimated himself. End of.

Yeah, dunno. He certainly didn't have it today like he's had it most of the year.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
hektoren said:
You've got a keen eye, Christopher!
Today was Hushovd-day, and will be remembered and revered as such, at least until tomorrow.
Thor's performance today was in a league of its own. Chapeau!

The mountain monkey was just awesome today. I was cheering like those norwegian commentators on amphetamine when i saw him among the top 10

Free beers and a$$ grabs next time he visits dk!

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
AC looked tired (more tired than at any stage during the Giro) and he certainly didn't have the explosive punch he normally has. Cuddles was able to easily accelerate and drag AC back each time.
It looked like after his first big dig he not only put everyone else in the red, he also redlined himself which in itself is unusual.

he's definately feeling the Giro and this is going to make for a most interesting tour

Thors a beast. well done

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Kender said:
AC looked tired (more tired than at any stage during the Giro) and he certainly didn't have the explosive punch he normally has. Cuddles was able to easily accelerate and drag AC back each time.
It looked like after his first big dig he not only put everyone else in the red, he also redlined himself which in itself is unusual.

he's definately feeling the Giro and this is going to make for a most interesting tour

Thors a beast. well done

I'd agree AC looked tired which, with his misfortune; could cost him some sleep. I think the attacks and counters were alot more strategic than many think because the climb wasn't a major time factor, win or lose. Thor was able to diesel through those pace changes because it wasn't a huge climb, he wanted the jersey and he was smart to moderate his effort. If all of those climbers drilled it until the last one fell it might have been different.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
ManInFull said:
Phil was was claiming that AC went too early and that he was losing steam. Just as he said that, AC attacked again.

+1

I missed the live stream (that pesky work thing!!) and had to watch NBC's highlights and final 1K instead. The commentary was comical - all about how AC had wasted himself and "had nothing to show for it", etc. Oops - then AC attacked. Idiots. It's like they think if they wish it and say it out loud it becomes true.

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Contador redlined because he is panicking. He should not have gone so deep because he will pay for this in the coming days.

These attacks around him will only increase.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
totally agree, looks like a bull**** move from Gilbert, and at that point he should know he does not have any gas left in the tank, feel sorry for OPL worked so hard the whole day!

Logic-is-your-friend said:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I thought Rabobank did a really good job with Mollema and LLS to get him in the right position. I think he'll be happy to get to the real Cols.

mollema was pretty good I thought.
Without gesink he probably could have been in the first group.
Gesink struggled, but it was to be expected.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Talk about biased idiots.

The jury that decides the combativty award... decided Jeremy Roy. 8 out of the 9 jury-members are French.

Hoogerland was furious: "I attacked, I took the sprint, i took the mountain points, i attacked again in the finale and i did the most work. And then they give the prize to Roy. Unbelievable! What do I have to do more??"

pathetic.

--

I also agree that Gilbert was a d!ck on this stage.

Dutchsmurf said:
Why? That was nothing out of the ordinary. It isn't like he was holding the car, that would have gotten him punished. Things like that happen numerous times every day, we just got to see it this time because Feillu is French.

Well - Cav WAS holding the car in the Giro, and still didnt get fined :rolleyes:

I do think people are underestimating BabySchleck though. He really had no reason to put it right out there yesterday. He got himself into a good position, was never going to lose a lot of time to anyone, just didnt go for it at the end when it was clear AC was going for the win. I think he truly was conserving it for the high mountains.

Thor could outdo him only because Thor had it all to win for. If he could stay, Thor keeps yellow for days .... AS didnt have that much to ride for, so didnt put in the effort.

I think AC will still get there though. :) He has a few flat days to recover and set himself up

Here's a clip of the finish (and a pic to catch attention), for anyone who missed it live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_1YxURthD0

04-RTR2OHSH.-640.jpg

EDIT: ACF's new avatar...?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Interesting commentsby Jens Voigt on his blog

"And then there is Alberto Contador, who finally showed himself by attacking on the Mur and finishing a close second. For me, I just think it was a “whistle in the forest”! I mean, he is supposed to go on the attack if he is the best, but so far in this Tour he just hasn’t seemed as sharp. I don’t know what it is, but he just seems to be missing a bit everywhere. His team is not there when the racing gets though. And he is still 1:40 down in the standings."

EDIT: I find it odd how Andy Schleck is saying he is not good on these climbs. He has won Liege - Bastogne - Liege and done well in the ardennes in the past. That is just a lame **** excuse especially when saying it suits Alberto more when AC hasn't had overly much success in the Ardennes nor in stages like this. Secondly, I also find it odd saying that a 6 or 8 second loss is insignifcant. Do these people not watch cyclling? The 2010 Tour was won by 39 seconds, 2007 Tour was won by 23 seconds, 2010 Vuelta was won by 41 seconds, etc. Every little bit of time lost or gained is significant imo.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
Here's a clip of the finish (and a pic to catch attention), for anyone who missed it live:

04-RTR2OHSH.-640.jpg

EDIT: ACF's new avatar...?

The little toy pistol was a ***** on this stage for trying to celebrate a stage which the big Evans Beat his sorry cap cap azzz. What a sorry piece of shizz. to bad Menchov was not around to get his sorry azz kicked as well.

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
A great stage last night. Great win by Cadel and BMC - they deserve all the plaudits. Often these stages are more exciting than the high mountains for me - much moreso than watching Alberto & Andy slug it out as everyone suffers like dogs behind..

After reading a fair bit of this thread I do think that people are reading far too much into early results. Apart from Contador's time gap, the rest of them mean absolutely nothing. 10 seconds in the mountains is squat.

Basically the equation is Contador needs to make up time over the 3 weeks now to get within striking distance to Schleklet in the TT.

And Cadel and the other strong Time Triallists will need to limit their loses to Andy in the high mountains... that is it. We know about the close tour's of previous years and that every second counts - well we won't know that until the mountains and there are alot of them, with alot of kms to cover even before them whether these small gaps mean anything.. they may end up meaning squat.

Definitely enjoying the race though!

TRENDING THREADS