• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 5: Carhaix - Cap Fréhel 164.5 km

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
Btw in case this hasnt been posted yet:

The motorcyclist who drove into Nicki Sørensen was thrown out of the Tour. Supposedly he was sacked over the radio immitiately after the incident by Prudhomme.

Well-deserved imo. He drove recklessly.

motorcyclists pass up along side the peloton on regular intervals. it appeared that Sorenson got knocked slightly of line and his bike got caught by something on the bike. the motorcyclists are told when to pass through the peloton and the cyclists know this.

seems to me the motorcyclist is a scapegoat, not that i am happy that it happened.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Damage report Gesink: Back problems seem to be the most troubling.

He said he was behind Brajkovic and Brajkovic fell first, Gesink went on top of him

ffs, Gesink is always so unlucky. I hope he will recover and be rdy for the mountains

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
motorcyclists pass up along side the peloton on regular intervals. it appeared that Sorenson got knocked slightly of line and his bike got caught by something on the bike. the motorcyclists are told when to pass through the peloton and the cyclists know this.

seems to me the motorcyclist is a scapegoat, not that i am happy that it happened.

Surely it was the motorcyclist fault. Its his responsibility when he passes through the peloton. In addition, Vandborg had aldry told him once not to do it since the peloton was very nervous. Yet he did. Good thing he was kicked out.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
:rolleyes:
Tom T. said:
I'm sorry, but Trek Leopard is really a bunch of whiny b**ches. Fabian, why didn't you try to neutralize the stage then you big prima donna.

He would have if one of the Schlecks had crashed. Since it was the rivals who crashed I guess he found no need for it

killswitch said:
If you go to bikechatter (or a similar site), you can see that everyone is complaining...
But was the parcours that dangerous? It didn't give me that impression, but I wasn't paying attention for much of the race. I think everyone was nervous because of the threat of crosswinds, and because of the previous crashes.

Benotti69 said:

There just wasn't enough space to pass the peloton. Maybe the driver misjudged the distance or maybe he was too cautious and got caught up or something. I also think was probably an accident for which he's not much to blame, it was just a ****ty situation, but I guess the commisaires see it differently.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Geraint Thomas is defintely one of the riders of the Tour so far. Great seeing him finishing so high. In few years he will be a force at Classics.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:
Big words, but if you really raced and sprinted for the flowers you would know that after the finish your colleagues have "words" with you if you act like a cowboy.

Headbutting is not that common nor is it accepted at club to elite level.

Yeah we already sorted this out - other posters were using 'butting' to describe using your head and shoulders to nudge riders coming across your line and let them know you are there. I would call that a nudge and I am not going to take my hands off the bars to do it. So its elbows or whatever else if the message is not taken.

Like Cav did yesterday, not Robbie McEwan style, where one would expect words afterwards.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
There just wasn't enough space to pass the peloton. Maybe the driver misjudged the distance or maybe he was too cautious and got caught up or something. I also think was probably an accident for which he's not much to blame, it was just a ****ty situation, but I guess the commisaires see it differently.

i am always amazed watching the peloton have so many near misses in GTs whether it be motorbikes through the peloton, spectators not paying attention racing back on through the team cars etc..the motorbikes regularly pass through the peloton. i reckon it was wrong place at the wrong time for Sorenson to move a few centimetres to his right, surprised it hasn't happened more often, but that is due to the skills of the 2 wheelers both cyclists and bike motorcyclists.

but is there an official link for the motorcyclists removal from the race?

Frosty said:
Wiggins seemed fine afterwards.

Think that Horner went down at some point as well, he was off the back at one point anyway. Didnt seem too perturbed by it all though.

THanks!
It sure seemed like a crash-fest. So many hit the pavement but some are fairly quiet about the extent of their bruising and damage. Only later do we find out that some are hampered by an earlier crash that looked fairly innocent.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Janjapan said:
- Jakob Fuglsang

- Fabian Cancellara

- Fränk Schleck

Interestingly, all the crashes occured at relatively flat and straight sections of the route. I don't think you can blame the organizers for that.

Selectively only quoting the Leopard riders! Most riders commented it was crazy all day and that the narrow roads contributed to it. They were all certainly worried about that finish.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
As for the intermediate sprint, I think Cav was right to complain, he would be relegated for that kind of thing easily. Still, he should have kept riding instead of complaining.

couldn't agree more. hate to feel like rules are not being applied equally. at the same time, and understanding his frustration, you don't just quit--especially to complain! glad he pulled out an amazing sprint at finish.

EDIT okay just read that boonen and rojas relegated so that's a good start to equal application.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
i am always amazed watching the peloton have so many near misses in GTs whether it be motorbikes through the peloton, spectators not paying attention racing back on through the team cars etc..the motorbikes regularly pass through the peloton. i reckon it was wrong place at the wrong time for Sorenson to move a few centimetres to his right, surprised it hasn't happened more often, but that is due to the skills of the 2 wheelers both cyclists and bike motorcyclists.

but is there an official link for the motorcyclists removal from the race?

Havent found anything offcialt just various media reporting it and Fuglsang tweeting "Good to hear that his is out!"

Anyways it definately was the moto's fault. No doubt about it. If he wants to pass the peloton its his responsibility, especially after being asked not to do it by another rider just prior to the incident.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
Havent found anything offcialt just various media reporting it and Fuglsang tweeting "Good to hear that his is out!"

Anyways it definately was the moto's fault. No doubt about it. If he wants to pass the peloton its his responsibility, especially after being asked not to do it by another rider just prior to the incident.

not sure considering the motorcyclist rode on the verge and didn't alter his line.

bettiniphoto_0085033_1_full_600.jpg

i wonder whats going on with hincapie's legs. thats a bit disgusting :S

TRENDING THREADS