• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Stage 5: Carhaix - Cap Fréhel 164.5 km

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
There are some others who are also complaining about Cav's comments. Not just me.

What on earth is there to complain about? I know you don't like the guy, but come on. Get real.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
:eek: God! that youtube. thanks, hfer07.

i was just trying watch my recording and sort the crashes! niki looks lucky that he skidded along mostly grass, not asphalt. poor jani, the rabo riders and conti. conti putting on a brave face? he appeared tired yesterday! was hoping for a quiet day for him.

Janjapan said:
- Jakob Fuglsang

- Fabian Cancellara

- Fränk Schleck

Interestingly, all the crashes occured at relatively flat and straight sections of the route. I don't think you can blame the organizers for that.
i am an old dude here .. (really old ) so probably it is my imagination playing tricks on me but It seems that the new generation or riders spend a lot of time looking back. (Is it time for rear view mirrors in the peleton? God forbid.....) At the Giro the man who got killed was looking back at the moment of his tragedy and he clipped his pedal and we know the rest. Today contador admitted he was looking back during one of his crashes. I don't have videos of the old days , but I wonder if other people on this forum feel the same ways about "this looking back trend "

Dedelou said:
i am an old dude here .. (really old ) so probably it is my imagination playing tricks on me but It seems that the new generation or riders spend a lot of time looking back. (Is it time for rear view mirrors in the peleton? God forbid.....) At the Giro the man who got killed was looking back at the moment of his tragedy and he clipped his pedal and we know the rest. Today contador admitted he was looking back during one of his crashes. I don't have videos of the old days , but I wonder if other people on this forum feel the same ways about "this looking back trend "

Doping is no longer an issue. It's looking back which is destroying cycling.

Get off the meds old timer! What are you talking about?

The motorcyclist claimed that
"There were four motorbikes who wanted to pass the peloton. Contador was back in the peloton and the first motorbike slowed down to take photos which is not allowed. Through the radio Mr. Pescheux told us that we had to drop back. I pulled over to the right hand side of the road and didn't move from that line. Suddenly I heard that noise," the driver said, referring to the bike that clung to his motorbike.

If he was supposed to be dropping back, and following the directions over the radio, how did he hit and drag a bike while passing it going forward??

For some reason I can't quote The Hog here, but where do you get doping in the post by Dedelou?? He's talking about riders looking over their shoulders and back. Maybe you need to get back on your meds Hog

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Jean-François Pescheux, race organizer ASO

he wasn't consulted regarding the incident....surprise

yeah, thats because his statement there is a flat out lie, or at the very least, completely contradictory to all evidence - he says in his quote that he slowed down, pulled to the right - which would imply that he was in front of the peloton and slowing down to allow the peloton to overtake him.
this is contradicotry because:
1) the race director himself said the MB was trying to overtake the peloton.
2) At least 1 rider has said something to this effect.
3) The slowed down footage shows (or it does to me) the MB coming from behind the rider, clipping him, and then continuing to move past the peloton.
4) Nicki's quote even says this - that he was dragged behind the MB for 200m

All this calls into the reliability of the driver of the bike if he claims that he was slowing down like ordered (also, why would you do that, its just asking for trouble to try and get the peloton to overtake you in your blind spot on a narrow road); and that if he wasn't, and was overtaking the peloton like everything points to, then he was flat out disobeying what he says the director told him to do which was to slow down!

The problem is also that it is fundamentally silly to expect a MB to slow down, and drop to the side of the road, judging distance, speed etc to perfection to allow the peloton, who are strung out across the narrow road, to pass *you*. It *is* far more safe, and this is where the bikers judgment has to be used/called into question, to simply acclerate slightly (as there was *nothing* in front of him to stop him), pull onto the grass, stop/slow down to a crawl for a few secs whilst the peloton passes, and then carry on. So either way, either the rider/footage/race director are all wrong, and he was slowing down - in which case he made a irresponsible, dangerous judgment which directly resulted in an injury to a cyclist and should be reprimanded, much like anyone would be if they made a reckless misjudgment which caused injury in their workplace, or even on the road. Or he flat out disobeyed an order he says he had received about slowing down, instead deciding to overtake the peloton on the narrowest margin. Either way, its his fault,, he should be reprimanded

theyoungest said:
... which would then leave Brajkovic and Machado. Two guys who can't handle a grand tour.

machado has only ridden a GT and was sick during the giro (bruynnel said he wanted him to retreat from the race but he refused)

anyway sick or not is a bit too soon to count him out as a possible GT contender(for a top 10 not even going to say a win because i don't think he can do it) don't you think? not every1 has the luck to be born in a country with a world tour team that has an amazing program developing riders from its country, and gets a chance to ride its first GT on his early 20's. about janex tho. . . we shall see but he is running out of chances to prove himself.

btw i would say machado's biggest problem is that he isn't a good enough climber not the fact that he can't handle them.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Dedelou said:

i didn't read that about contador so thx for the info. i read that he crashed when his chain came off, so he must have been looking back on another crash. i get your point as wouter was looking back, too, and sadly had done it on a really dangerous part of the course (i think he only looked back because he was looking for teammates, and under normal circumstances probably would not have been looking back at that particular time). i don't know the circumstances of contador's backwards glance crash, but i would guess that it's more about bad timing rather than people looking back more frequently.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
lilyprotector said:
i didn't read that about contador so thx for the info. i read that he crashed when his chain came off, so he must have been looking back on another crash. i get your point as wouter was looking back, too, and sadly had done it on a really dangerous part of the course (i think he only looked back because he was looking for teammates, and under normal circumstances probably would not have been looking back at that particular time). i don't know the circumstances of contador's backwards glance crash, but i would guess that it's more about bad timing rather than people looking back more frequently.

Contador's head is on a swivel all the time. He looks back more than any rider I have ever seen.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
Contador's head is on a swivel all the time. He looks back more than any rider I have ever seen.

what's he looking at? is this when he's dropping people or do you mean all the time? no wonder he's so hard to beat. he's got power legs and 360 vision!

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
lilyprotector said:
what's he looking at? is this when he's dropping people or do you mean all the time? no wonder he's so hard to beat. he's got power legs and 360 vision!

Hehehe. I think it's usually when he is dropping people.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Garate has a fracture in his arm, but he will continue.

Hard men. These TDF men.

I am currently recovering from a fractured arm and it is totally beyond my comprehension how it would be possible to continue racing.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If you think you saw it all on the TV.

hornerakg Chris Horner
Today's blog - not sure I saw much besides flying bodies all day! Glad that one is behind us! bit.ly/qvmDXr

TRENDING THREADS