• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour De France: Unchained aka that netflix thingy

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Of course, O'Connor would be unhappy that Hindley would be gifted time aided and abetted by his team AGR2. They are both Australian, come from the same state in Perth and are competitive against each other.

I've only watched the first couple of episodes (& half of the third) but Felix Gall was AG2R's main rider in that stage & they rode for him for a stage win. It was a valid tactic in order to keep Vingegaard & the group of favorites far enough behind before Marie Blanque. They didn't know Hindley would drop Gall of course. But that's racing. Gall showed later in that Tour how strong he really was (i.e. a lot stronger than O'Connor).

I think the part which really gets lost in translation between the realities of pro cycling & the Netflix show is being team leader is a fluid situation. Aka O'Connor had to demonstrate on the road he was was better than Gall. He didn't.

It's kind of funny to me though how O'Connor has tanked his 'likeability' stock over the past month, i.e. his rant in the Giro about 'dinosaurs' (when he was afraid of getting wet & cold) & now the Netflix doc which makes him look like a semi deranged spoilt manchild with impulse control issues & a total lack of self-awareness. I also enjoyed Van Aert's meltdown when he didn't win stage 2 ("HOW THE HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE?!!"). I mean dude... it's a bike race. Sh*t happens.

In any case next season they should probably go for a new title, i.e. Tour de France: Unhinged.

It seems like a more accurate description of the mental state of some of these guys.

Finished it yesterday, my little review (spoilers if you didn't watch last years Tour, I guess lol):

I was hoping the attention to O'Connor would be just in the first episodes, but I was wrong, unfortunately. The guy needs a sports therapist or something, he really has some dificulty dealing with his emotions.

Pidcock struggling with the leadership was engaging. It was also a good contrast with how O'Connor dealt with the same situation. Carlos Rodriguez also seems to be the nicest guy ever.

I quite enjoyed Pogacar and Vingegaard rivalry. A shame we had less of it, so AG2R could get more attention.

Gino's death was treated in a weird way in the first episode. Fortunately, the episodes around Pello Bilbao and Mohoric do a good job of honoring Gino's memory in a proper manner.

The final episode is dedicated to Pinot. I'm a huge fan, so I really wanted to love it, but the whole Richard Plugge vs Madiot thing about the "french guys drink beer", ruined it for me. Plugge cames out as big *** and we all know how Madiot takes everything way to seriously.

Overrall, they need to improve the way they show these storylines. I thought it was messier then the first season, probably because more teams take part. For someone that doesn't follow cycling, it might be difficult to place all the events in the right order. I'd rather they follow the stage order, then what they are doing now, with going back and forward all the time.

I think I enjoyed the first season more, but maybe because it was novelty.

Last edited:
Finished it yesterday, my little review (spoilers if you didn't watch last years Tour, I guess lol):

I was hoping the attention to O'Connor would be just in the first episodes, but I was wrong, unfortunately. The guy needs a sports therapist or something, he really has some dificulty dealing with his emotions.

Pidcock struggling with the leadership was engaging. It was also a good contrast with how O'Connor dealt with the same situation. Carlos Rodriguez also seems to be the nicest guy ever.

I quite enjoyed Pogacar and Vingegaard rivalry. A shame we had less of it, so AG2R could get more attention.

Gino's death was treated in a weird way in the first episode. Fortunately, the episodes around Pello Bilbao and Mojoric do a good job of honoring Gino's memory in a proper manner.

The final episode is dedicated to Pinot. I'm a huge fan, so I really wanted to love it, but the whole Richard Plugge vs Madiot thing about the "french guys drink beer", ruined it for me. Plugge cames out as big *** and we all know how Madiot takes everything way to seriously.

Overrall, they need to improve the way they show these storylines. I thought it was messier then the first season, probably because more teams take part. For someone that doesn't follow cycling, it might be difficult to place all the events in the right order. I'd rather they follow the stage order, then what they are doing now, with going back and forward all the time.

I think I enjoyed the first season more, but maybe because it was novelty.
Second season syndrome

• Haha
Reactions: carolina
If you've seen the TdF 2023 already, there's really not much point watching it.

Also, the problem is the timing IMO: we're all focused on the TdF 2024, not last year. It's old news now.
I am 5 episodes in and I disagree. The focus has been on people that you would not watch as closely in the tour, and you get to see them react.

For instance I learned a lot about Pidcock, he really does think he can win the tour. I had no idea there was team tension with CRod. Though I doubt they honestly thought Pidcock would outperform CRod for GC... I'm fairly sure none of us did lol

Seen a lot more of Ben's struggles and how some riders handle pressure and sub par performance, we are often shielded from that but the reality is tough for these guys and some handle it way better than others.

Hindley losing time I put down to the crash, but weirdly Netflix skipped that (despite showing ripped kit lol) and I was reminded he was also sick.

I got to see wout when he is ticked. Enjoyed.

And you get to see riders beyond just riding their bikes, saying things much more interesting than their usually boring interviews, mohoric excepted of course.

It's also interesting what team management will say to a camera about their riders. Surprising really.

Get on it ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
The racing footage is outstanding. The 1 on 1 interviews are fine. The staged personal conversations are downright embarrassing.

LOL yes... the protagonist with girlfriend "discussions" are painful to suffer through. In general theres way too much emphasis on feelings vs facts so to speak. Too many interviews and 1 liners and background info that could be super interesting, but usually is just incredibly dull and/or staged and not enough race footage or interesting insights into tactics etc.

5 eps in the most interesting alltho not in the least bit surprising aspect was the ineos focused episode, where the monkey ds' are scratching their heads "muh we need captain!? who captain!? we need captain!?" rather than just *** seeing what will develop on the road. God I hate this team, Pidcock and Rodriguez seem quite likeable though.

Reactions: kingjr
So I'm only one episode into the new season but that episode is honestly already so much better than the latest Drive to Survive seasons and whatever short part of break point I managed to watch before angrily quitting. Like yeah, it's over dramatized, but I think it's still way more truthful to the actual sporting event than the other Netflix sport shows and the behind the scenes material is actually genuinely interesting to watch, even for hardcore fans.

Is there a lot of stuff in the show that will annoy most cycling fans? Sure, but in the genre of over dramatized sports documentaries this is easily among the better ones. I just wish they didn't stick to the narratives they want to follow as stubbornly.

Reactions: yaco
Couldn't get through the first series, but kind of enjoying the second. Not sure why. I like the O'Connor subplot. Shows the pressure of being leader with high wage, big expectations and uncertainty around legs. Same with Pidcock. He comes across as a bit of psychopath, but, maybe that's what you need to win. Most of them are really quite crazy. How else would it even work? Good to see that level of craziness. It's a mad sport.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Couldn't get through the first series, but kind of enjoying the second. Not sure why. I like the O'Connor subplot. Shows the pressure of being leader with high wage, big expectations and uncertainty around legs. Same with Pidcock. He comes across as a bit of psychopath, but, maybe that's what you need to win. Most of them are really quite crazy. How else would it even work? Good to see that level of craziness. It's a mad sport.
I agree Season 1 was no where near as good, I persisted but it took some effort to get the reward.

I've just finished watching the last episode. Definitely some nice moments and comments caught.
1) I didn't know O'Connor was so jealous of Hindley success, lol. Childlish behavior noticed a few times.
2) Also selfish behavior of Pidcock at some point: it can be justified when one has the legs but he was crushed the next day (Morzine stage), while Rodriquez won mano a mano against the two mutants. Tough pill for him to swallow for sure.
3) Touching moments in Barhrain team when Mohoric tried to win and Bilbao won a stage for Gino. Also Mohoric's thoughts during his winning stage (from physics to those who lose by hair's breadth making it a cruel sport).
4) Philipsen and Alpecin were portrayed as villains wanting to win at all cost, even injuring their opponents during sprints. And TBH there seems to be some truth in it, even judging by some of their comments.
5) I expected more interesting insights regarding Pogacar vs Vingegaard rivalry. At least Grischa delivered a few lines ("he's on his last legs surely!" during stage 6, haha). Pogacar actually looked quite subdued during his interviews, even when he was still in the game for victory.
6) Some thrilling clips from inside the peleton at full speed, this is what I really like.

Last edited:
Yeah, being a nice guy and being content with your results and salary isn't what helps you rise to the top. You have to be ruthless, crazy driven and a bit of a psycho. Can't think of too many nice guys being dominant since Indurain...

Reactions: Cookster15
So I'm only one episode into the new season but that episode is honestly already so much better than the latest Drive to Survive seasons and whatever short part of break point I managed to watch before angrily quitting. Like yeah, it's over dramatized, but I think it's still way more truthful to the actual sporting event than the other Netflix sport shows and the behind the scenes material is actually genuinely interesting to watch, even for hardcore fans.

Is there a lot of stuff in the show that will annoy most cycling fans? Sure, but in the genre of over dramatized sports documentaries this is easily among the better ones. I just wish they didn't stick to the narratives they want to follow as stubbornly.
I am looking forward to watching this; really enjoyed the first season if only because I could see it in hi def on a big screen without inane Eurosport commentary.

My main take-away from this season is that both Madiot and Johnatan Vaughters aren't winning the TDF anytime soon.
Also, Plugge probably caught wind of what Madiot said about Jonas' "supplements" and therefore retaliated with the whole beer-saga.
I must say, a move so sneaky I might actually turn into a Vismafan
One of the highlights of the season was the jumbo sports director Grischa sitting in the car having thousands of tibot and French fans booing jumbo and chanting about beer on stage 20 when he simply says "thanks for that, Richard" :tearsofjoy:

Last edited: