• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de la Provence 2021, France, February 11 - February 14

EtGGmqCXIAAkAo3

After the cancelled races in Spain this is the first stage race in Europe that most of the field will flock to (apart from UAE tour).

Notable GC mentions: Alaphillippe, Vlasov, Enric Mas, Wellens, Bernal, Laurens De Plus (in his new INEOS colors)
Notable sprinters: Arnaud Demare, Nacer Bouhanni, Kristoff, Trentin

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-cycliste-international-la-provence/2021/overview
https://www.tourdelaprovence.fr/

01zmwhM.png

uUkMk5A.png

Live video stream available on Eurosport.

iyFQX3g.png

Full startlist: https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-cycliste-international-la-provence/2021/gc/startlist

Last edited:
Reactions: postmanhat
To add:

Maps
Stage 1
TdP-2021-Carte-de%CC%81taille%CC%81e-E1-V2.png

Stage 2
TdP-2021-Carte-de%CC%81taille%CC%81e-E2-V2.png

Stage 3
TdP-2021-Carte-de%CC%81taille%CC%81e-E3-V11.png

Stage 4
TdP-2021-Carte-de%CC%81taille%CC%81e-E4-V1.png

Climbs
Stage 1
Col de l'Espigoulier
EspigoulierS.gif

Montée du Brulat
3110.gif

Montée du Camp
3481.gif

Stage 2
Pas d'Ouillier (final 4k only)
2052.gif

Grand Caunet (final 3.9k only)
GrandCaunetNW.gif

Côte de Bois de Rousset
BoisDeRoussetE.gif

Col de la Mort d'Imbert
MortDImbertS.gif

Col de Montfuron (first 4.9k only)
MontfuronNE.gif

Stage 3
Col du Pointu (final 10.8k only)
PointuS.gif

Blauvac (final 3.2k only)
BlauvacW.gif

Châlet Reynard (first 15.2k only)
VentouxS.gif

Stage 4
n/a

Yes Eurosport player/GCN should be showing this live, ad-free I think. Not sure about regular Eurosport 1/2, they have a lot of tennis to cover now.

Alaphillipe posted this the other day:

EtpMNtlXYAMfPcQ
They also have the world championships in both Alpine skiing and biathlon so time is a little tight, I would think.

Good thing we have another channel who has the rights to this race in Denmark.

Curious about De Plus and Leknessund.
Not sure what to expect of Leknessund here. He is apparently not forcing himself to go down the GC route anytime soon, if ever. Doesn't want to lose unhealthy amounts of kg's and is heavier than your normal GC contender. So he is not focussing on climbing atm but rather trying to develop broadly. He is gonna race some classics, both flemish and Ardennes. He says that he is quite explosive and likes the hilly terrain, so he might want to delve more into that direction.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not sure what to expect of Leknessund here. He is apparently not forcing himself to go down the GC route anytime soon, if ever. Doesn't want to lose unhealthy amounts of kg's and is heavier than your normal GC contender. So he is not focussing on climbing atm but rather trying to develop broadly. He is gonna race some classics, both flemish and Ardennes. He says that he is quite explosive and likes the hilly terrain, so he might want to delve more into that direction.
I think that's a wise decision. To be fair, he wasn't the best climber in the U23, and on the other hand, he wasn't really dominant as a TTer either. He could become a better climber by losing weight, but he already seems rather lean, and i don't think there's a lot of fat to shed. He'd probably have to lose muscle mass in order to lose considerable weight. But then, what will that do to his TT abilities... I still consider him to be one of the bigger talents coming out of the U23, but i'm not quite sure GC is where he needs to go. I also think he was physically ahead of the curve compared to boys his age. I think he could be a great stage hunter and classics rider. Let's say, Jungels 2.0.

Apparently, you can obtain 17 bonus seconds in the intermediate sprints on these stages, so that means there are more bonus seconds during the stage than at the finish line. I thought that was against UCI regulations.

Maybe it's a safety measure to prevent people from being too frantic about going for stage wins...

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS