• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de l'Avenir 2011 (04/09 - 11/09)

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Tom Dumoulin now 11th on GC... better than expected, actually.

Since Hepburn won, I assume this was a breakaway group. I mean, the guy was dropped on the Cauberg in Olympia's Tour...

noticed that, pretty good ride. I suppose with the 3rd place the other day is somewhat justifying his spot here.

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
It is difficult to make predictions. This race is uncontrollable with just six riders in every team. It's all about getting in the right group, a group like today. And nobody knows how Quintana did at the ascents, it's total speculation.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Tom Dumoulin now 11th on GC... better than expected, actually.

Since Hepburn won, I assume this was a breakaway group. I mean, the guy was dropped on the Cauberg in Olympia's Tour...

I was thinking this. I am aware in the young races power outage and such can make average climbers (matthews taking 8th in gc last year etc) do well. But this is a little odd.

Maybe not a breakaway, maybe there was just chaos before the climb ?

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Colombia has still good chances with three riders.

6 3 Johan Esteban CHAVES COLOMBIE 00:00:45
10 5 Sebastian SALAZAR COLOMBIE 00:01:31
16 4 Michael RODRIGUEZ COLOMBIE 00:01:50

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
According to the Colombia es Pasion website, Quintana was one of 30 riders who were held up for more than a minute by a passing train. The peloton had split into five groups after the third climb of the day, as all the teams wanted to get their riders into the break. There were then more splits on a flat section, the final one being decisive.

http://colombiaespasion4-72.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=536:tercera-etapa-del-tour-de-laavenir-&catid=37:nacionales

They've also posted a video showing the weather conditions for the stage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoXvVg_fR-w&NR=1

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Don't know much about the columbian riders but surely Simon is the favorite now? I agree that Laengen could do well also. Cattaneo is also in a good position as well as the one I predicted would do well, Preidler

Edit: impressive that Hepburn won the stage.
simon won't stand a chance on the mountains against rodriguez for sure, he was 2nd in vuelta juventud. quintana is down and too far down now but rodriguez and chavez are now favorites for sure I think. gaps will be big on saleve

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
Chaves has improved a lot this year, won a couple of stages in Colombian races against elite riders.

chavez improving has been incredible. that's why he was 2nd man behind quintana in team order before avenir and will now be leader for sure.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
According to the Colombia es Pasion website, Quintana was one of 30 riders who were held up for more than a minute by a passing train. The peloton had split into five groups after the third climb of the day, as all the teams wanted to get their riders into the break. There were then more splits on a flat section, the final one being decisive.

http://colombiaespasion4-72.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=536:tercera-etapa-del-tour-de-laavenir-&catid=37:nacionales

They've also posted a video showing the weather conditions for the stage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoXvVg_fR-w&NR=1

oh my god what a bunch of f'n idiots. hopefully quintana will wreck friday and the first european not to finish within 4 minutes :p

TRENDING THREADS