• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de l'Avenir 2021 (August 13-22)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
E8_u10QXEAEujTm

This does not look good at all.

I see some reports saying he abandoned, but no confirmation yet.

Ethan Vernon wins the stage in a bunch sprint, bit of a surprise to me
Looks like it was a reduced downhill sprint between 50 riders with a field that was streched out after the final climb, in that context Garofoli finishing 4th also makes a bit more sense, him being 4th in a normal bunch sprint woulf be wild.
Speaking of Garofoli, he has impressed me this season. He's not Ayuso, but still really impressive for a first year u23 rider.

Looks like it was a reduced downhill sprint between 50 riders with a field that was streched out after the final climb, in that context Garofoli finishing 4th also makes a bit more sense, him being 4th in a normal bunch sprint woulf be wild.
Speaking of Garofoli, he has impressed me this season. He's not Ayuso, but still really impressive for a first year u23 rider.

Vernon just timed it right. Apparently got the perfect leadout from De Lie who went way too early (+300m) because of The Netherlands messing up their train for Van den Berg. Vernon was still not in the wind with 100m to go while the others were. It was a weird finish with that 2.5 km downhill and then only 400m flat to the finish. If a WT race does a similar finish everyone screams murder. Rightfully so, looks incredibly dangerous with riders trying to position for a sprint at 85 km/u.

And yes Garofoli is pretty impressive this year, seems to be very alround, attacking everywhere, looks like it doesn't really matter to him if the road is flat or uphill and seems to be having a good sprint for a guy who's more suited for the more hilly stuff.

A 45 km/u avarage today btw, the u23 peloton is getting closer and closer to the pro peloton every year.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Vernon just timed it right. Apparently got the perfect leadout from De Lie who went way too early (+300m) because of The Netherlands messing up their train for Van den Berg. Vernon was still not in the wind with 100m to go while the others were. It was a weird finish with that 2.5 km downhill and then only 400m flat to the finish. If a WT race does a similar finish everyone screams murder. Rightfully so, looks incredibly dangerous with riders trying to position for a sprint at 85 km/u.

And yes Garofoli is pretty impressive this year, seems to be very alround, attacking everywhere, looks like it doesn't really matter to him if the road is flat or uphill and seems to be having a good sprint for a guy who's more suited for the more hilly stuff.

A 45 km/u avarage today btw, the u23 peloton is getting closer and closer to the pro peloton every year.

They had to start the sprint early because Steinhauser was still out the front. He was only caught 200m before the line according to a report.

And the stage was so fast because they had tailwind for 80% of the stage. Think they did 47.5km/h in the first hour.

He's only 22sec ahead of Hellemose before the big moutain stages, I wouldn't put all eggs in one basket.

They rode for him today or at least that was what I gathered from the live updates, but if Hellemose has the better legs tomorrow then the situation will obviously change again.

Tobias Johannesen is definitely in the driver's seat, but it's not over yet. It's a shame that tomorrow's stage isn't being broadcasted.

They rode for him today or at least that was what I gathered from the live updates, but if Hellemose has the better legs tomorrow then the situation will obviously change again.

Tobias Johannesen is definitely in the driver's seat, but it's not over yet. It's a shame that tomorrow's stage isn't being broadcasted.
Yeah, tomorrow will be pretty much straight forward, but on the final 2 stages I expect lots of long range attacks, with small teams and not too many teams willing to help Norway controlling the race it could be total carnage.

Everyone basically riding solo right now on the Grand Colombier, it's carnage. Johannessen looks to be the strongest here. He has 10 seconds on Zana and 20 on rodriguez.

EDIT: He's destroying everyone right now. He has a minute + on the other favorites. It's early, the 2 hardest mountain stages are still to come, but it's gonna be really hard to keep Johannessen from winning this years Tour de l'Avenir.

Everyone basically riding solo right now on the Grand Colombier, it's carnage. Johannessen looks to be the strongest here. He has 10 seconds on Zana and 20 on rodriguez.

EDIT: He's destroying everyone right now. He has a minute + on the other favorites. It's early, the 2 hardest mountain stages are still to come, but it's gonna be really hard to keep Johannessen from winning this years Tour de l'Avenir.

Yeah, this is really a strong performance from him. Pure climbing wise, he's definitely appearing to be a bigger talent than Foss now.

TRENDING THREADS