• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Luxembourg June 2nd - 6th

Start list can be found here -

http://www.aotdl.com/skoda-tour-de-luxembourg-2010/equipes-2010/liste-des-engagés/

It's fairly old though, Armstrong will be running etc so don't take it as 100% finalised.

Or CN's which has Armstrong listed -

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/skoda-tour-de-luxembourg-start-list

(Surely O'Grady isn't back yet...)

Plenty of big names to look out for.

Stage Profiles: http://www.aotdl.com/skoda-tour-de-luxembourg-2010/parcours/les-profils/

cache_1637452203.jpg

cache_1637452303.jpg

cache_1637452403.jpg

cache_1637452503.jpg

Unfortunately there will be no live video.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
More importantly, how much have Skoda handed out to Armstrong so he could grace them with his presence? I'm sure Hog or Race Radio know as they are pretty switched on.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
More importantly, how much have Skoda handed out to Armstrong so he could grace them with his presence? I'm sure Hog or Race Radio know as they are pretty switched on.

Yup and how much they paid to whoever caused the mass crash in California!

The prologue is really, really cool (similar to the one of the TdF in ... I want to say 1998? I could be totally wrong though. Anyways, that one time in the last 15 years when the TdF started in Luxembourg)

The third stage qill bring the decision (that's where Fränk beat Klöden last year)

First stage probably sprint decision, look out for Borut Bozic, Jimmy Casper

In general I expect a lot from Vacansoleil: Matteo Carrara, Bozic, Johnny Hoogerland, Brice Feillu.

Sky and Katusha also have strong line-ups (Kolobnev will be there too)

Should be exciting!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Is the route really as bumpy as those profiles make it look? Judging from the graphs, there doesn't seem to be flat piece of road anywhere! On the other hand, there also doesn't seem to be a single climb over a K or so.

It'll make for decent entertainment while we await the start of the Dauphine;)

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
First stage probably sprint decision, look out for Borut Bozic, Jimmy Casper

Look out for Ben Swift in any sprints as well. Recently won the Tour of Picardie (where he beat both Casper and Bozic if I'm not mistaken) and has maintained speed from his efforts on the track earlier in the season. Alex Rasmussen will be one to watch out for too.

Saxo Bank, Sky, Radioshack and Katusha have very strong teams and along with Vaconsoleil, should be contesting the overall. With Sky, chuck in Wiggins, Calzati and EBH and you have their tour line up for me.

It's hard to predict a winner because a lot of the riders I expect to be high on GC haven't been in action for a while so it's hard to judge their form. Frank Schleck should be motivated with it being his home tour but I expect a decent showing from Gerrans, Pauwels and Lofkvist for Sky to be honest.

The Parcours looks like a cross between Flanders and Amstel with a bit of L-B-L thrown in for good measure so the stages should be pretty selective and exciting.

I really like Luxembourg, particularly the Petite Suisse area they're passing through at some point. It's lush, thickly wooded and full of nasty little hills. Went for a dayhike there last year:

2gy3p51.jpg

In the woods above Echternach

2dskehv.jpg

Luxembourg city, the quartier Grund

Ferminal said:
Start list can be found here -

http://www.aotdl.com/skoda-tour-de-luxembourg-2010/equipes-2010/liste-des-engagés/

It's fairly old though, Armstrong will be running etc so don't take it as 100% finalised.

Or CN's which has Armstrong listed -

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/skoda-tour-de-luxembourg-start-list

(Surely O'Grady isn't back yet...)

Plenty of big names to look out for.

O'Grady back for Suisse

startlist
http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MTk5OTc=

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
Judging from the graphs, there doesn't seem to be flat piece of road anywhere! On the other hand, there also doesn't seem to be a single climb over a K or so.

Reverend_T_Preedy said:
The Parcours looks like a cross between Flanders and Amstel with a bit of L-B-L thrown in for good measure so the stages should be pretty selective and exciting.

Yup you guys are right - no long climbs or anything like that but a lot of hills that can be pretty steep. However nothing that should pose to much of a problem to anyone except for stage 3. Luxembourg is on the very outskirts of the Ardennes (You might know the famous "Battle of the Bulge" at the end of WW2, when a town like Diekirch, the arrivée of stage 3, was almost completely destroyed. They still have a monument there today for American General Patton and there is a yearly cycling race for U23 that also has his name), and so especially the north of the country is rather hilly because of that. Hence the similarities with the Ardennes Classics and the liking that luxembourgish riders have for the Ardennes Classics. Plus some other riders from Saxo Bank (Fuglsang, N. Sorensen) train here because of the good terrain.
When I go on rides I always think they could just as well organize a really cool 1 day race here, but it's of course difficult to establish a new race like that against the likes of LBL, which has been around for a hundred years or so. Strade Bianche showed how it's done though - you can still create a new race and make it very big and popular in little time!

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Livestreams it is..no?

Shame Sporza stopped coverage

Hm I highly doubt that. I don't know whether Sporza ever covered it either ... to my knowledge the only coverage if of RTL - Luxembourg, they'll show recaps every day on TV. The good news is those will be available online (http://www.rtl.lu), the bad news is the comment will be in luxembourgish. However if you're proficient in dutch/german, you'll understand it.

L'arriviste said:
I really like Luxembourg, particularly the Petite Suisse area they're passing through tomorrow. It's lush, thickly wooded and full of nasty little hills. Went for a dayhike there last year:

Hey I'm glad to hear you liked it! I live 15 mins from Echternach and went to school there for a long time. The petite swiss is great and the race will go through there on Stage 1 (at km 45) and then again on Stage 4 (at km 80).

The Grund is really beautiful and it's a really nice place to go out and party. The prologue will go through there tomorrow - a lot of pavement and a really steep hill as well. I'll be there to watch it :)

&quot said:
Plus some other riders from Saxo Bank (Fuglsang, N. Sorensen) train here because of the good terrain.

Now I'm confused, I thought it was Chris Sørensen who lived and trained in Lux while Nicki Sørensen lived and trained in Toscana.

Anyway... think I've just found the silliest name for a team; the pro conti team Differdange! What's that? (Other than a bike team...)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Now I'm confused, I thought it was Chris Sørensen who lived and trained in Lux while Nicki Sørensen lived and trained in Toscana.

Anyway... think I've just found the silliest name for a team; the pro conti team Differdange! What's that? (Other than a bike team...)

Yup could be, I might have gotten the two mixed up. Actually I think you're right because there was an article on CN earlier in the season that C.A. Sorensen would not get a danish license anymore for living in Luxembourg.

As for Differdange, that's the name of a town in the south of Luxembourg! That's the french name for it, in luxembourgish it is called Déiferdéng. It's also the town where the arrivée of the second stage will be. I don't know why they don't have a name sponsor, but this is already their third or fourth season I believe. They mostly participate in races in Belgium, Netherlands and France (Coupe de France for example). Their most noteable rider would have been Benoît Joachim (former US Postal, Discovery and Astana), but he ended his career after last season. I espect them to be in breaks but I doubt they'll be able to win a stage.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
The prologue is really, really cool (similar to the one of the TdF in ... I want to say 1998? I could be totally wrong though. Anyways, that one time in the last 15 years when the TdF started in Luxembourg)

@ Christian
'88 I remember 'cos i was there....looking for Pedro:D

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Reverend_T_Preedy said:
Have I read it right that the Prologue starts at 7pm CET with the last rider off at gone 9pm? Interesting...

Yes that's true - it was that way last year as well. It should still be reasonably light at 9pm though, plus there are street lamps of course. It's nice because there is always a very good ambiance there, sort of like a big party.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
Yes that's true - it was that way last year as well. It should still be reasonably light at 9pm though, plus there are street lamps of course. It's nice because there is always a very good ambiance there, sort of like a big party.

I love evening races, especially TT's and crits. This really does sound a cool race with some good riders involved. Shame there's no coverage of the race.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Christian, do you mean the 2002 Tour de France that started in Luxembourg? The winner of the prolouge was His Holiness himself, Lance Armstrong.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I did some Lëtzebuergesch at university though, which proved invaluable in understanding the reports from the Flèche du Sud, so Déiferdéng it is from now on.

Wow that's interesting - where did you go to University?

craig1985 said:
Christian, do you mean the 2002 Tour de France that started in Luxembourg? The winner of the prolouge was His Holiness himself, Lance Armstrong.

Yes that's the one I meant, thanks! I'm bad with remembering exactly what year what happened in cycling. This is interesting though - maybe Lance will be able to repeat his success from '02 then! Other favourites include

- Grégory Rast (won the prologue as well as GC in '07)
- Kim Kirchen (won it in '06 I believe but no one knows how his form is)

It's really hard to say though because it's so short and so technical. In other interesting news, Saxo Bank is listed as only starting with 6 riders today: Richie Porte and Kasper Kloostergaard are not on the list anymore. Bad news for Fränk!

Jens Keukeleire is not starting either, Cofidis' line-up in general is pretty different from what it says on the earlier start lists, plus they start with 7 instead of 8. Yauheni Hautarovich replaced Pierre Cazaux at FdJ and Vorarlberg-Corratec also start 1 man short.

TRENDING THREADS