• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Romandie, Stage 1: Martigny - Leysin, 172.6km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Porte will attack.

It sounds like this is the first race he will be at with reasonable form, and he shouldn't get dropped on this monster :eek:

I think we will see a smaller name take it though.

Yes, I think a smaller name will go away and take it. No one will react to their attack and then they will get a big enough gap to hold on. Obviously the would have to be decent climber but not a big name. Maybe Morabito?

Will there be highlights of this on the internet later that I can watch?

roundabout said:
I'll get me one of them there Belgian flag avatars if Freire finishes top-30 on a stage like this.

Vinokourouv could well win if people slow down and start looking at each other.

Or you could follow bavarianrider into the island doomed souls and get a Polish flag as your avatar;)

hrotha said:
Verdugo has looked pretty good recently, including yesterday, so I'm going for a Euskaltel double.

I would love to see that come true as I think Verdugo is very underrated; he's an excellent mountain domestique and could well make the top 20 of a GT (well, of the Vuelta) if allowed to ride for himself (remember his 7th in Paris-Nice when Samu was not racing).

However, he won't win today, unless some kind of miracle happens. Neither will Vinokourov, I guess.

Carrara was a nice pick by Carl0880. He likes this kind of finishes a lot.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
How can they let these 4 guys go away by 12 minutes?
No problem in a flat stage, but here today... I mean, no more flat terrain, just climbs (ok, mostly not very hard), but Samoilau (MOV) and Brutt (KAT) have tended to be decent climbers...
Let's hope they don't mess it up on day 1 with regard to the GC...

Evans may take a backseat with the knee injury and all. He usually races to win but he won't want to aggravate his injury. He needs some km's in the legs. He could do worse than just using the race as training but he never usually rides that way. Still, it seems to be his sort of finish if he is willing.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
a) this stage is obviously not for Phinney, and b) it's not too late. They're only 50 kms in!

OMG how could I miss that thanks, I thought they were only 50km left and I was wondering what on earth were the basques doing.

Kiserlovski didn't start today. He finished the prologue yesterday and finished the Giro del Trentino last week. Has he crashed since Paris-Nice or have his injuries from that bad "under the van" crash recurred? And is he going to race the Giro?

May 27, 2010
Visit site
it seems like castrovejo has been dropped or something, phinney is in front on the provisional gc timings
Classement du GPM Croisée Mont-Pèlerin (2e cat, km 62,5) 1. Samoilau 2. Brutt 3. Kuachuk 4. Bobridge 5. Phinney

TRENDING THREADS