• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de San Luis 2016

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
jaylew said:
Mareczko over Viviani in photo finish
How did that happen? Both guys are riding for the Italian national team. :D
Is Mareczko's sprint position still as crazy as it used to be?

Yeah, weird.

Good replay and some terrific slo mos here, including great visuals of Mareczko's sprinting style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBc_7EtyKfU

Looks like Mareczko was up front in the early lead up to the sprint, implying he was working for Viv, but in the last K or so, Viv is somehow in front. In any case, they were definitely sprinting against each other.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

BalearicBeats said:
It's cool to see that Nibali never seems to be above helping his team out by riding in front. A bit like Greipel.
Yesterday Superman Lopez thanked Nibali for setting the pace on the first part of the climb and for helping him to get in a good position at the start of the climb. Apparently Superman Lopez is also Scarponi's roommate, I didn't know that.
Source:
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/?page=news&cod=86601&tp=n

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Lol, apparently Viviani was pretty mad.
showimg.php

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Viviani had a clear, easy victory and then his own teammate comes out of nowhere to pip him.

Team Mareczko :p

In fact, I think I will call him TM from now on because I always have to think about how to spell his last name and there doesn't seem to be a good abbreviation.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

jens_attacks said:
Viviani is always a diva, definitely one of my least favourite riders

Good for kuba!
Viviani a diva?
I've never head that, they guy was working as a bottle carrier for team Sky while having the points jersey at the Giro and pulled the whole main group on the false flat before Campitello Matese, I always viewed him as one of the few sprinters that doesn't mind working for his teammates.

Viviani is really funny. What is he exactly angry about? Ok so maybe Mareczko was supposed to lead him out. But as they entered the finishing straight Viviani was in ideal position behind Etixx and could launch a perfect sprint without need for any lead-out. At the same time Mareczko, spared the lead-out duty, was not far behind and also decided to sprint. And was faster than Viviani. So what? It's his teammate, so Viviani should be equally glad also for his win, no? And be happy for their 1-2. But no, he does not even come for the award ceremony to congratulate the teammate. If that's not sign of injured pride, then what is?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-san-luis-quintana-asks-drivers-to-give-more-respect-to-cyclists/

Errr... Did Nairo just go and dedicate Dayer's win to Malori? :p

“I want to dedicate this victory and everything else to Adriano Malori, we hope that he recovers and responds well,” Qiuntana said. “We hope to see him on the road again soon because he has been with me at the Giro d’Italia and the Tour de France. It is with great sadness that we leave him here in the hospital and we hope to see him today in the hospital and that his health condition has improved.

I'm sure Dayer would agree, but... jeeez! Let your brother dedicate his own wins!

Re:

PeterB said:
Viviani is really funny. What is he exactly angry about? Ok so maybe Mareczko was supposed to lead him out. But as they entered the finishing straight Viviani was in ideal position behind Etixx and could launch a perfect sprint without need for any lead-out. At the same time Mareczko, spared the lead-out duty, was not far behind and also decided to sprint. And was faster than Viviani. So what? It's his teammate, so Viviani should be equally glad also for his win, no? And be happy for their 1-2. But no, he does not even come for the award ceremony to congratulate the teammate. If that's not sign of injured pride, then what is?

The roles were clearly defined and Mareczko should have sat up as far as I'm concerned Viviani has a right to be pissed, Swift, Fenn or Rowe wouldn't of done that.

MatParker117 said:
PeterB said:

The roles were clearly defined and Mareczko should have sat up as far as I'm concerned Viviani has a right to be pissed, Swift, Fenn or Rowe wouldn't of done that.
But why should Viviani feel entitled not to be contested by his teammate if an opportunity arises? What sense would it make if Mareczko sat up as you suggest and did not utilize his good position and strength? What he did was not at an expense of Viviani (in terms of his effort, not result of course) so he had no reason not to sprint. Plus as it was last race in another team than his trade team. Viviani disappointed me with his attitude. I don't know what was going on inside the team but to me natural reaction would be that Viviani should just be pleased about exciting and tight battle with a teammate. His reaction suggests either tensions in the team or that he indeed is not a team player.

+ I hope he was fined for not attending the ceremony.

PeterB said:
MatParker117 said:
PeterB said:

But why should Viviani feel entitled not to be contested by his teammate if an opportunity arises? What sense would it make if Mareczko sat up as you suggest and did not utilize his good position and strength? What he did was not at an expense of Viviani (in terms of his effort, not result of course) so he had no reason not to sprint. Plus as it was last race in another team than his trade team. Viviani disappointed me with his attitude. I don't know what was going on inside the team but to me natural reaction would be that Viviani should just be pleased about exciting and tight battle with a teammate. His reaction suggests either tensions in the team or that he indeed is not a team player.

Because he's the protected sprinter the only time Mareckzo should have reignited the burners is when Viviani had a clear and unassailable lead. His role was clearly defined as the last man and he went into business for himself, he should of sat up and left it to Viviani.

MatParker117 said:
PeterB said:
MatParker117 said:
PeterB said:

Because he's the protected sprinter the only time Mareckzo should have reignited the burners is when Viviani had a clear and unassailable lead. His role was clearly defined as the last man and he went into business for himself, he should of sat up and left it to Viviani.

Lol Viviani is protected sprinter because he can win. If Mareczko can win it too and beat Viviani, then Viviani shouldn't be their sprinter because it is totaly OK for the team as long as they win. Why wouldn't their team want Mareczko to win?

MatParker117 said:
You still look only at what Mareczko should or should not have done. This issue is more about how Viviani reacted to what happened, once it happened. He could either
1. take it lightly with humour ("these youngsters, they just can't restrain themselves..."), or
2. accept the challenge ("it took me by surprise so he was lucky this time but next time I meet him in a sprint I'll make sure he looks at my back"), or
3. behave like a prima donna - ("I was supposed to win, he had no right to challenge me")

We saw what he chose and sorry but that paints some picture about him.

Vroome.exe said:
MatParker117 said:
PeterB said:
MatParker117 said:
PeterB said:

Lol Viviani is protected sprinter because he can win. If Mareczko can win it too and beat Viviani, then Viviani shouldn't be their sprinter because it is totaly OK for the team as long as they win. Why wouldn't their team want Mareczko to win?

Because that wasn't his job, his job was to put Viviani in the best possible position to win. Once that was done he should of sat up.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
It's not some job in the office, it's a race for God's sake! Mareczko is what? 21,22? and he's supposed to sit down and not contest the sprint while he's in good position?! No, no my friend, he did the right thing. And Viviani.., well he should be either quicker, or he should be silent :p