• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de San Luis, business as usual

Alex Diniz, who was out for two years took over the lead, two years after his suspension for EPO.
Am I too cynical, or is it just business as usual in the cycling world ? Are we to believe this guy is now clean and winning ?

As a Norwegian it's good to see Hushovd rides clean these days, only problem is that he comes in last, and it's probably time to retire.

Give me credit for starting a thread NOT about Lance or Sky.

Armchaircyclist said:
Alex Diniz, who was out for two years took over the lead, two years after his suspension for EPO.
Am I too cynical, or is it just business as usual in the cycling world ? Are we to believe this guy is now clean and winning ?

As a Norwegian it's good to see Hushovd rides clean these days, only problem is that he comes in last, and it's probably time to retire.

How about that time trial?

51 kph+

Uphill, into a headwind?

Not normal.

Dave.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Haven't seen footage of San Luis but for the likes of Diniz and the pampa boys of Argentina this is THE race of the season, while for the 'Euro' - pros this is all just preparation for the preparation like Paris-Nice and the Tirreno...

I guess,

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Haven't seen footage of San Luis but for the likes of Diniz and the pampa boys of Argentina this is THE race of the season, while for the 'Euro' - pros this is all just preparation for the preparation like Paris-Nice and the Tirreno...

I guess,

Precisely. In terms of peaks the San Luis boys such as Guevara, Diaz and Diniz will have based all their preparation around this race. It is their Tour de France so to speak so it is logical they will be far ahead of Contador, VDB, Nibali and all the others. Even so Contador and Tejay managed to give them a fair run for their money.

:rolleyes:

Armchaircyclist said:

had the same thought, european riders preparing for the new season beaten by an ex-doper

i wonder how many will get caught in a few months, years...

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Probably for the same reasons why he doped the first time around.

+1.

hrotha said:
I don't think Díaz is particularly suspicious. The guy's been talked up for years now.

Indeed, he's been a contender in San Luis for a few years now and he's highly likely to be peaking here to get himself a contract in Europe (wasn't he close to signing with Geox a year or two ago?). I'm not quite sure what to think about Diniz.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
He rode for Geox as a stagiaire in 2010. He was killing it in the Spanish u23 calendar.

Cool, cheers. Would be good to see him ride in Europe again, certainly has put himself in the shop window this week.

Lexman said:
had the same thought, european riders preparing for the new season beaten by an ex-doper

i wonder how many will get caught in a few months, years...

The UCI Standard PR Response #2 is 2% are doping and get caught. Just not the 2% that are just off the the UCI's double-secret popularity contest podium. They get a vacation and no positive. If the rider has made the UCI's double-secret popularity contest podium, then a positive goes away. (Contador, Armstrong)

The UCI Standard PR Response #1 is very useful here: Cleanest peloton ever. . If Pat's really in trouble, he reaches for Standard Response #3: The Biopassport works. It's so complicated no one can cheat. It's so complicated only scientists understand it.

Hugh Januss said:
And yet one of the new American "clean white hope" kids is in the thick of it in second place. Go BMC! Rock it clean. It is a new era.

Perhaps the vet who took the TT can straighten him out on how things really work around here.

Claiming you are clean is really good.

Just don't practice it. Understand?

Dave.

Hugh Januss said:
And yet one of the new American "clean white hope" kids is in the thick of it in second place. Go BMC! Rock it clean. It is a new era.

Very true.

What do people think of tj?

I hope that he is clean, but I am aware I may be a little prejudiced on this one. However, his Perfs have been regular and his growth quite normal from 2nd (wasn't it?) at the tour de l'avenir as an amateur. The guy is of the mould of TTers that can climb. No extraordinary perfs. Just regular. No explosiveness in the mountains, just steady wheel sucking, but unable to respond to accelerations...

Thoughts?

Diniz coming back from a suspension is a bit suspicious yes. Contador also but if theres ever a race i thinki Contador would not dope in, its a January 2.1 where he finishes way down on the first 2 gc stages and wins the third by a wheel.

Diaz and the "el loco" guevara figure have nothing to them, and they are only winning in San Luis. On the other hand JensAttacks loves them, so im 50/50.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Armchaircyclist said:

you are too cynical. in recent years braziliean cycling underwent a tremendous transformation similar to portugal. now it is very clean, like portugal. over the past years many riders have come back from doping suspensions in brazil and many of them couldn't get any results anymore. so it has cleaned up itself. now I won't stick my hand in the fire for diniz for sure, but he's as suspect as contador is :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
How about that time trial?

51 kph+

Uphill, into a headwind?

Not normal.

Dave.

lol. the itt is completely flat without any corners basically and the it's a circular course so wind is in all directions

next time try speaking the truth :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Probably for the same reasons why he doped the first time around.

I don't think Díaz is particularly suspicious. The guy's been talked up for years now.

in argentina you have 2 levels of cycling. many are doped, but they aren;'t selected for tour san luis. san luis somos todos, have carefully taken riders with eye to the future. they don't dope. that's why they usually have a hard time winning argentininean races. for instance diaz wins san luis, but can't even podium a race like vuelta san juan or vuelta mendoza last year.

also diaz has always been sensational talent, winning a lot in spain in elite racing as u23 and offered a contract at geox before they went out

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Diniz coming back from a suspension is a bit suspicious yes. Contador also but if theres ever a race i thinki Contador would not dope in, its a January 2.1 where he finishes way down on the first 2 gc stages and wins the third by a wheel.

Diaz and the "el loco" guevara figure have nothing to them, and they are only winning in San Luis. On the other hand JensAttacks loves them, so im 50/50.

he's been full time racing for the past 2 years almost and no positives. they take doping controls a lot more serious in brazil in recent years than in many european countries...

also this guy was caught on epo in 2009, that itself should tell you these guys aren't exactly using state of the art doping :rolleyes:

Ryo Hazuki said:
lol. the itt is completely flat without any corners basically and the it's a circular course so wind is in all directions

next time try speaking the truth :rolleyes:

Do you read? Were you there? Did you ride it?

Serious questions.

Tuft wins Tour de San Luis time trial

"It was a lot harder than I thought it would be but I think everything is at this time of the year. It's the first real time that you go deep. It was a good course though but I had a good winter of training so I thought I'd have a crack at it. It wasn't technical at all but there were some false flat sections and the wind was a major factor too."

Even for a relatively short TT, on a circuit course with no wind factors, 51+ kph is stretching things.

Someone is on the sauce.

Dave.

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
D-Queued said:

So from Tuft's quote I can garner the following "it wasn't technical" so no corners to speak of? "there were some false flat sections" so some parts looked flat but were perhaps annoyingly draggy, certainly not hilly though? "the wind was a major factor" doesn't say how, strong headwind followed by strong tailwind? who knows. And 51km/h for Tuft is hardly ground breakingly fast is it, Graeme Obree once held the 10 mile (16.09km) TT record at 18 minutes 27, yep 52.19km/h. (In 1993 as an amateur)

xcleigh said:
So from Tuft's quote I can garner the following "it wasn't technical" so no corners to speak of? "there were some false flat sections" so some parts looked flat but were perhaps annoyingly draggy, certainly not hilly though? "the wind was a major factor" doesn't say how, strong headwind followed by strong tailwind? who knows. And 51km/h for Tuft is hardly ground breakingly fast is it, Graeme Obree once held the 10 mile (16.09km) TT record at 18 minutes 27, yep 52.19km/h. (In 1993 as an amateur)

And Tuft is Obree?

Doping would be a one-event thing?

Silly response.

Dave.

TRENDING THREADS