• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de San Luis

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Franchesco Chicchi won the first stage of the Tour de San Luis.

galeria21657-002.jpg

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=21655

1 Chicchi, Franchesco, Liquigas
2 Simon, Edgardo, Funvic-Pindamonhanga
3 Napolitano, Danilo, Katusha
4 Loddo, Alberto, Androni-Giocattoli
5 Pacheco, Francisco, Xacobeo-Galicia

A few bike lengths, by the look of the photo.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I hope Rasmussen goes well. He is somebody who has been treated very unfairly compared to a certain Italian who is friends with a certain Texan, and another certain Italian who Mark Cavendish wants to fight.

craig1985 said:
I hope Rasmussen goes well. He is somebody who has been treated very unfairly compared to a certain Italian who is friends with a certain Texan, and another certain Italian who Mark Cavendish wants to fight.

+1 agreed and i think he can finish top 5 o/all...maybe atage win...

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Would have been good to see video of the finish, as I've heard Chicchi rated really highly as a sprinter, under the right circumstances.

The victory salute is 'king cool.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
Would have been good to see video of the finish, as I've heard Chicchi rated really highly as a sprinter, under the right circumstances.

The victory salute is 'king cool.

The right circumstances being no speedbumps along the way, lest he get dropped climbing them

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
The right circumstances being no speedbumps along the way, lest he get dropped climbing them

I was thinking of a lead out, but take the point. Won't be taking the leaders jersey all the way, then.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
I was thinking of a lead out, but take the point. Won't be taking the leaders jersey all the way, then.

Considering the hard high mountain stages and the time trial still to come, no he will not

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
For all the few riders I recognise in the race, I'd struggle to guess who could win the overall apart from Rasmussen. Nibali? Serpa? Maybe Rasmussen, as the time trial's pretty short, and there are 2 MTFs. Picking Serpa. Others?

Sorry, knowledge of Argentinian continental riders is utterly non-existent.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
For all the few riders I recognise in the race, I'd struggle to guess who could win the overall apart from Rasmussen. Nibali? Serpa? Maybe Rasmussen, as the time trial's pretty short, and there are 2 MTFs. Picking Serpa. Others?

Sorry, knowledge of Argentinian continental riders is utterly non-existent.

The argentinians tend to do well, then test positive :p

This early in the season it's a crapshoot. I'd go with Giacinti as the most likely winner. He'll be extremely motivated. Serpa too, to a lesser extent

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
It's quite a tough day today it seems, bit of a hilltop finish, although nothing huge.

Could shake things up a little, I'm going for Serpa, he tends to be solid here.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
djlovesyou said:
It's quite a tough day today it seems, bit of a hilltop finish, although nothing huge.

Could shake things up a little, I'm going for Serpa, he tends to be solid here.

The Mirador's a big climb actually. This will be the most decisive stage for GC, likely :)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Fairly big. 4.8km at an average 6.7% if my calculations and reading of the stage guide are right.

The finish up the Mirador del Sol in stage 6 is a tougher one I think.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
djlovesyou said:
Fairly big. 4.8km at an average 6.7% if my calculations and reading of the stage guide are right.

The finish up the Mirador del Sol in stage 6 is a tougher one I think.

Oh, i'm sorry. If that's the case, they're not climbing from the usual side. They usually climb from the side that's over 20kms long (not as steep, though)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
No, you're probably right with that. That's the last bit. It seems like they do around 10km of pretty shallow climbing before that bit. It's bigger than I thought it was.

But stage 6 is around 6km at about 8% which sounds nasty.

Am I right in saying that they should be just about finished. Not too sure of the time difference here. (I'm kinda relying on Serpa for the PCM fantasy game ;) )

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Speak of the devil:

1. VALLS FERRI Rafael FOT
2. ALCOLEA NUNEZ Arnold - 07"
3. RODRIGUEZ ORTIZ Jackson Jesus AND 10"
4. SERPA PEREZ Jose Rodolfo AND 10"
5. NIBALI Vincenzo LIQ 10"
6. PEREYRA Andres Ignacio - 16"
7. MAZZANTI Luca KAT 18"
8. MORENO BAZAN Javier ACA 18"
9. RASMUSSEN Michael MIE 19" 0
10. GRANJEL Raul - 24" 0

djlovesyou said:
Speak of the devil:

7. MAZZANTI Luca KAT 18"
10. GRANJEL Raul - 24" 0

Thanks for the result djlovesyou...not a bad ride for Rasmussen...

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
djlovesyou said:
Speak of the devil:

7. MAZZANTI Luca KAT 18"
10. GRANJEL Raul - 24" 0

Nibali's only 10" back, tomorrows flat, and then the TT. Surely he must be one of the stronger time trialists in that sort of position. Possible he could go ahead on Thursday?

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I wonder how you guys find all that information. But since you know so much, I have to ask, if anyone knows how many of the remaining stages ends uphill?

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
The internet is a series of tubes

Two more. The hard one being the one to the Mirador del Sol

Thanks. When I can't find any information on either CN or the official web site I come clueless.

I will cheer for MR, although he's not 100 %, so I don't expect him to take on Nibali.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
Thanks. When I can't find any information on either CN or the official web site I come clueless.

I will cheer for MR, although he's not 100 %, so I don't expect him to take on Nibali.

Just for the record: I don't really have a clue about this race, or the field, either. It's the first time I've followed it. You can find the stages on the official website, though.

TRENDING THREADS