• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse (2.UWT), 9-17 June 2018

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

The Hegelian said:
wirral said:
The Hegelian said:
Three big questions lingering over Porte:
1. Team. For all their budget, BMC have never bothered to build a proper GC squad capable of defending in the mountains (let alone attacking). Even when Evans won it was more of a roluer squad. Porte will be isolated often and early in key stages.
2. Head. He doesn't seem to have that hard ruthless edge you need to really go for the jugular in a GT. Probably makes him a more decent bloke than most GT contenders, but it's a liability that has already been exploited by others a bit. Definitely closer to Wiggins than Hinault on the spectrum.
3. Luck. He's obviously had his fair share of misfortune. But in the same breath, if 1 & 2 were stronger, I bet his luck would magically get better.

Well put.

I think I wrote in another thread that some other GC leaders in different teams would be going toe-to-toe with their DS demanding the whole team is built around them and their GC ambitions. This is not Richie's style and the result is he is left standing on the side of the road waiting over a minute for a spare wheel sans team mates.

You'd think though that at least BMC would have a strong interest in building a decent squad for him - they're basically on the cusp of non-existence. But no, they seem to just float along expecting it all to just happen.

Meanwhile, look at AG2R - they're really trying to get on even terms with Sky, with much less $$. And Michelton has built an incredible climbing/GC squad in a matter of 2/3 years. It's not rocket science: just hire some quality climbing doms!
BMC's Tour team is clearly going to be a lot stronger than AG2R and probably stronger than MTS as well

Eyeballs Out said:
The Hegelian said:
wirral said:
The Hegelian said:
1. Team. For all their budget, BMC have never bothered to build a proper GC squad capable of defending in the mountains (let alone attacking). Even when Evans won it was more of a roluer squad. Porte will be isolated often and early in key stages.
2. Head. He doesn't seem to have that hard ruthless edge you need to really go for the jugular in a GT. Probably makes him a more decent bloke than most GT contenders, but it's a liability that has already been exploited by others a bit. Definitely closer to Wiggins than Hinault on the spectrum.
3. Luck. He's obviously had his fair share of misfortune. But in the same breath, if 1 & 2 were stronger, I bet his luck would magically get better.

Well put.

I think I wrote in another thread that some other GC leaders in different teams would be going toe-to-toe with their DS demanding the whole team is built around them and their GC ambitions. This is not Richie's style and the result is he is left standing on the side of the road waiting over a minute for a spare wheel sans team mates.

You'd think though that at least BMC would have a strong interest in building a decent squad for him - they're basically on the cusp of non-existence. But no, they seem to just float along expecting it all to just happen.

Meanwhile, look at AG2R - they're really trying to get on even terms with Sky, with much less $$. And Michelton has built an incredible climbing/GC squad in a matter of 2/3 years. It's not rocket science: just hire some quality climbing doms!
BMC's Tour team is clearly going to be a lot stronger than AG2R and probably stronger than MTS as well

Who do you see the squad being?

Broccolidwarf said:
Eyeballs Out said:
The Hegelian said:
wirral said:
The Hegelian said:

Well put.

Guesswork but something like Porte, TJVG, Caruso, Kung, GVA, Bevin and then two from Gerrans, Roche, Roelandts, Schar. Personally I'd go for Roche and Roelandts

Broccolidwarf said:
Eyeballs Out said:
The Hegelian said:
wirral said:
The Hegelian said:

Well put.

Porte, TJVG, Caruso, de Marchi, Roche, Teuns, Kung, GVA

l[/quote]

Who do you see the squad being?[/quote]

Porte, TJVG, Caruso, de Marchi, Roche, Teuns, Kung, GVA[/quote]

Porte, Van Garderen, GVA, Küng and Caruso are certain

Cant see De Marchi riding the TDF also having ridden Giro and Suisse, if he was an option he would normally have skipped Tour De Suisse. I also doubt there will be room for Teuns, leaving Roche, Bookwalter, Schär, Bevin or Gerrans to fight for the last 3 spots.

search said:
RedheadDane said:
Kragh Andersen referring to himself as a "little fat Dane" to Danish television. :p

sounds better than "the big wheelsucker", what he proved to be yesterday :p

He had a perfect alibi, in Keldermans and Omens position on GC, and Monfort being in virtual yellow.... and every time the others started looking at him, he took the lead for a few seconds, to keep the peace :D

Smart ride by the kid :)

Frankschleck said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Kangert and Gatto down the road

I will bet you Fuglsang is attacking the last climb early, to try and make up the 1,30 he is behind :)

Nah Kangert has a better chance. BMC might have trouble controlling this.

A lot of the guys out in front, are there to be of help on the last climb, for a captain attacking from behind...... so they won't let the gap grow too big.

Halfway to the climb, if the gap grows too much, you will see a lot of the GC teams guys in the break. stop to pull and leave it to the guys going for the stage win.

I say they hit the last climb with 2-3 minutes max.

In the case of Fuglsang, the only way he is not attacking, is if he is having a bad day.

Don't get too excited about the final climb, even though the profile suggests otherwise, its only the last few kilometres that will decide things, the HC beats me, probably the distance from base to top. I remember going up there by train some years back, and the railway (adhesion, not rack) only curves around for the last few kilometers into town.

Re:

Yingge said:
Don't get too excited about the final climb, even though the profile suggests otherwise, its only the last few kilometres that will decide things, the HC beats me, probably the distance from base to top. I remember going up there by train some years back, and the railway (adhesion, not rack) only curves around for the last few kilometers into town.

Looks like a climb which is steep at first - and in the end - with a big "flat" section in the middle.

That suggests to me, that a captain needs to attack the first section, and then have guys out in front, to pull on the flat, to then go solo up the final ramp.

However, I have not been there, like you, so the first part may not be steep enough for an attack?

final climb
stage-7-anstieg-arosa.jpg

Latest posts