• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse 2012: Stage 4; Aarberg → Trimbach/Olten (189km)

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Epic ride by Nordhaug, but those stages are designed in a way which makes it almost impossible for a breakaway to stay away. Good to see he already is back in form though after battling illness recently.

It's so easy for Sagan to win those sprints from reduced pelotons. I can't believe there were teams actually helping Liquigas chasing. Astana for example were doing the pacemaking for like 15 kilometers, I mean do they really think Gavazzi can outsprint Sagan? :rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
They don't really need it, buy they still want them.
Besides that I have no freaking idea why they would do it. It can't be pure stupidity?
Or is just to keep their sprinters satisfied?

To say it with the words of someone else: If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril.

Kwibus said:
They don't really need it, buy they still want them.
Besides that I have no freaking idea why they would do it. It can't be pure stupidity?
Or is just to keep their sprinters satisfied?

Haussler/Gavazzi were hungry for a win, that is all. But they need to realise a break is better for them. No team is going to want to chase alongside Liquigas tomorrow so forming the break should be very competitive once again.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Haussler/Gavazzi were hungry for a win, that is all. But they need to realise a break is better for them. No team is going to want to chase alongside Liquigas tomorrow so forming the break should be very competitive once again.

Movistar ? RSNT too I guess. BMC if no break for them. Suiise is their local race and they want to show themselves.

Gloin22 said:
Movistar ? RSNT too I guess. BMC if no break for them. Suiise is their local race and they want to show themselves.

Not sure about all 3 to be honest. Unless there's someone like Cataldo in the break there would be no reason for the first 2 to chase. BMC would probably chase to put a rider in the break themselves.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I really don't understand why so many teams helped liquigas chase down the break when they know they are gonna lose to sagan in a straight out sprint.
The break would have made it if not for so many teams contributing to the chase.

Nice to see BMC riding like vaconsoleil in switzerland though.

I actually quite like OricaGreenedge approach to sprinting - if you are somewhere near the front, you sprint. Not too sophisticated but very likeable...

It was also a pity that Katusha or someone else did not have more riders left to try an attack within the last kms as Gusev did just to test how solid Moser would be in chasing them down. At one point it almost seemed that Sagan would have to start chasing.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Apparently Rabobank have "not given up GC yet". what I read among their latest report they expect some Gesink miracle to happen in the ITT/final weekend climbs. :eek:

Lol, if I were Rabobank I wouldn't hope too much. Seems like Gesink still hasn't completely recovered from his leg injury. Although his altitude camp before the Tour de Suisse could also be an explanation for his weak performance at Verbier.

El Pistolero said:
Lol, if I were Rabobank I wouldn't hope too much. Seems like Gesink still hasn't completely recovered from his leg injury. Although his altitude camp before the Tour de Suisse could also be an explanation for his weak performance at Verbier.

Yes it was the same in the Dauphine 2011 when he was crap in the first hard stage to Chartreuse (when JvdB won) and later in the week he was pretty good in Allevard and La Toussiere.
Could be the same this time, but why would that lead to any GC hope when you are 1 minute behind??? And why care about the GC this time? It's not the Tour

Btw I have increased faith in Kruijswijk. Yes he lost time as well but normally his engine only starts after 1 week so this is already pretty good. He could be their man for the Tour..instead of TGBM or Gesink

597449265.jpg

picture of the day!!!! piti doing domestic work for costa, i guess he has changed a bit during his ban.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yes it was the same in the Dauphine 2011 when he was crap in the first hard stage to Chartreuse (when JvdB won) and later in the week he was pretty good in Allevard and La Toussiere.
Except that in the Dauphine he wasn't crap, but just deliberately took it easy, something he clearly didn't do this time. I actually have little doubt that he'll do a very good TT on Friday, and will be back in the GC game (not for the win, of course).

Btw I have increased faith in Kruijswijk. Yes he lost time as well but normally his engine only starts after 1 week so this is already pretty good. He could be their man for the Tour..instead of TGBM or Gesink
That "Kruijswijk is only good after the first week" saga has developed pretty quickly... in the Vuelta he was only good during the first week ;)

theyoungest said:
Except that in the Dauphine he wasn't crap, but just deliberately took it easy, something he clearly didn't do this time. I actually have little doubt that he'll do a very good TT on Friday, and will be back in the GC game (not for the win, of course).

That "Kruijswijk is only good after the first week" saga has developed pretty quickly... in the Vuelta he was only good during the first week ;)

Yes he didn't push on, but he was crap there. But with the difference he took it very easy after being dropped. Now he didn't. So I firmly disagree that in the beginning of the Dauphine he wasn't crap. He was... if he did push on he would probably limit his losses he said after the stage, but he was sure he'd lose a minute. I remember very well. You clearly don't...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yes he didn't push on, but he was crap there. But with the difference he took it very easy after being dropped. Now he didn't. So I firmly disagree.
I don't know how you can judge that... he said he didn't want to go into the red. If you don't go into the red you can't follow, simple as that. Nothing to do with being crap, or being great.

PeterB said:
I actually quite like OricaGreenedge approach to sprinting - if you are somewhere near the front, you sprint. Not too sophisticated but very likeable...

It was also a pity that Katusha or someone else did not have more riders left to try an attack within the last kms as Gusev did just to test how solid Moser would be in chasing them down. At one point it almost seemed that Sagan would have to start chasing.

It was great to see Albasini who had lost Cooke and Davis on one of the last climbs still put in a great sprint. Especially good since he was in the initial breakaway and tried to join in a few more during the day. Albasini has been going well all year and looked great in leading out Cooke yesterday, before a very attacking day today. Hopefully he is included in the GE TdF team.

TRENDING THREADS