• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse 2021 (June 6-13)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
But you just said it yourself that it was because of crashes?
And how does that change anything?

He was the strongest rider by a margin until he crashed but the word "dominate" doesn't feel right to me when a rider doesn't even win the race, whatever the reason for it is.

You can argue he was dominating for the first 7 stages but for me he didn't dominate the entire race because the most important thing is who finishes 1st in GC.

But that's just my opinion and I don't think it deserves any further discussion.

And how does that change anything?

He was the strongest rider by a margin until he crashed but the word "dominate" doesn't feel right to me when a rider doesn't even win the race, whatever the reason for it is.
Alright that's fine. I would argue that it was the most dominant performance in a one week stage race this year, but it's fair if you don't see it that way as he didn't win in the end.

One week stage races aren't his speciality, and there are 2 TT's which doesn't play in his cards either, so I'm not certain he is a clear favourite. If you just look at Ineos, it might suit Dennis a lot more.

I don't think Carapaz would mind an ITT up and over the Oberalppass with about 4 flat kms out of 23.

But I do agree that historically he is stronger in GTs and even though it's a pretty ok 34.2 ITT km for a climber, the mountain stages may not be selective enough to win in the end

Reactions: Bonimenier
I don't think Carapaz would mind an ITT up and over the Oberalppass with about 4 flat kms out of 23.

But I do agree that historically he is stronger in GTs and even though it's a pretty ok 34.2 ITT km for a climber, the mountain stages may not be selective enough to win in the end
Question is who of the general classification contenders is going to put significant time into Carapaz in the mtt.

Both Alaphilippe and Jungels might and both have shown in the past that they can hang-on in the mountains. But will they even line-up in that climbing shape? Nothing suggests they will, so far.

Fuglsang could do a stronger tt than usual if we suggest that it's mainly uphill where he's good at and then downhill where he excells.

But in that scenario Carapaz might be just as good in the uphill part, while he probably doesn't lose to much time in the downhill either.

I don't see the likes of Benoot or Chaves pulling out much time on Carapaz in that tt.

Dennis would be a dark horse, yes. So would Uran. But the Colombian always has been an enigma.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Question is who of the general classification contenders is going to put significant time into Carapaz in the mtt.

Both Alaphilippe and Jungels might and both have shown in the past that they can hang-on in the mountains. But will they even line-up in that climbing shape? Nothing suggests they will, so far.

Fuglsang could do a stronger tt than usual if we suggest that it's mainly uphill where he's good at and then downhill where he excells.

But in that scenario Carapaz might be just as good in the uphill part, while he probably doesn't lose to much time in the downhill either.

I don't see the likes of Benoot or Chaves pulling out much time on Carapaz in that tt.

Dennis would be a dark horse, yes. So would Uran. But the Colombian always has been an enigma.

Schachmann?

• Wow
Schachmann?
Yeah, I asked myself the same question. He has won Paris-Nice twice. Tour of Switzerland offers some true mountains though, where he usually cracks. The percentages of the cols aren't super steep anymore due to the changes made. You might be right.

There needs to be aggressive racing on Friday and Sunday by the likes of Carapaz & Fuglsang. That should provide entertainment.

Also looking forward to see what Arensman provides here. He has been 11th and has taken the young riders classification at Romandie. Switzerland seems to be his season highlight. Domestique duties only or will he get co-leadership to sneak either a top 10 or stage win?

Robert Bengsch always praises Arensman and he seems to have a good knowledge of the youth ranks.

I think this Tour de Suisse really suites Schachmann. He was the best climber after Roglic at Paris-Nice and it really looked he improved his climbing (and lost some punch). With no really steep mountains I would expect him to be really good. He is preparing for the Olympics and coming straight from altitude, so his shape could not be the best.

• Wow
I think Bahrain come with a decent team again. Poels, if he's in form, and Bahrain seem to be in pretty good form these weeks, could be a GC threat. Will also be interesting to see UAE with Hirschi and how well Vansevenant will do. Then there's also Hamilton.
In the absence of cheese emojis I'm picking Swiss chocolate for my rating:

:candybar::candybar::candybar::candybar::candybar: Carapaz
:candybar::candybar::candybar::candybar:Poels, Hamilton
:candybar::candybar::candybar: Schachmann, Urán, Soler, Chaves
:candybar::candybar: Fabbro, Alaphilippe, Sivakov
:candybar: Hirschi, Fuglsang, Arensman, Latour

Last edited:
I think Bahrain come with a decent team again. Poels, if he's in form, and Bahrain seem to be in pretty good form these weeks, could be a GC threat. Will also be interesting to see UAE with Hirschi and how well Vansevenant will do. Then there's also Hamilton.
In the absence of cheese emojis I'm picking Swiss chocolate for my rating:

:candybar::candybar::candybar::candybar::candybar: Carapaz
:candybar::candybar::candybar::candybar:Poels, Hamilton
:candybar::candybar::candybar: Schachmann, Urán, Soler
:candybar::candybar: Fabbro, Alaphilippe, Sivakov
:candybar: Hirschi, Fuglsang, Arensman, Latour
Chaves is ahead of Uran now by probably some miles!

The sad part about this tour is that apparently Eurosport(at least for my country and Player) isn't gonna cover it. How are you guys watching it?

Where are you? It's on my eurosport player program - they call it Tour of Switzerland for the first stage, then Tour de Suisse... Can't see a reason why they wouldn't have any player coverage in your country at all then? :eek:

TRENDING THREADS