• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse 2021 (June 6-13)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What was the point of the peleton riding so hard in the last several Ks? I'd understand if it was Alepecin but it seems they were pushing for a split or something at the end that wasn't going to distance any contenders. I suppose sprinting at the end for placings was important but seemed like they could have waited for a bit. Denied Bissenger the jersey.

Reactions: JosefK
What was the point of the peleton riding so hard in the last several Ks? I'd understand if it was Alepecin but it seems they were pushing for a split or something at the end that wasn't going to distance any contenders. I suppose sprinting at the end for placings was important but seemed like they could have waited for a bit. Denied Bissenger the jersey.
I think Alaphilippe just needed one second on MVDP for the leader's jersey.

The tempo always goes up ahead of key points in the race.

Someone could easily open up a gap in the last 5K or even on the airfield, and nobody wants to drop 10 seconds on GC, for no other reason than lack of attention.

The tempo always goes up ahead of key points in the race.

Someone could easily open up a gap in the last 5K or even on the airfield, and nobody wants to drop 10 seconds on GC, for no other reason than lack of attention.

Yeah. I just never get why there isn't a sort of gentleman's agreement to roll in since it means nobody has to waste energy or get put in dicey situation with crash. But these guys are also racers, so understand that aspect. Would have like to have seen Bissenger get the jersey, too.

Pidcock is scary indeed. His progress is starting to cast a serious shadow over WvA's and MvdP's dreams of dominating the current era of cycling.

Used to view him as merely a 'likeable future prospect' only half a year ago.

It wasn't until that superb Namur cross, when he almost brought WvA and MvdP to their knees, that I realized he already is a top class rider.

He then went toe-to-toe with WvA in classic sprints in April, and subsequently destroyed the entire MTB world elite (including MvdP) in May, removing all my remaining doubts that he is destined to be a legendary rider.

His flawless bike handling, incredible power-weight ratio and sheer love for cycling will win him countless classics, several grand tours, MTB olympic gold, and also a way hotter girlfriend than his face and physique would otherwise predict.
Funny last line. Agree with everything you said here, but I think it's fair to say that he and MVDP were on opposite ends of the form spectrum in their two MTB races this spring. That said, I would give Pidcock the advantage on courses with sustained climbs. As for Namur, didn't MVDP and WvA go 1, 2?And once everyone was on full form he never really stayed close to them this year in CX.

TRENDING THREADS