• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse 2021 (June 6-13)

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Funny last line. Agree with everything you said here, but I think it's fair to say that he and MVDP were on opposite ends of the form spectrum in their two MTB races this spring. That said, I would give Pidcock the advantage on courses with sustained climbs. As for Namur, didn't MVDP and WvA go 1, 2?And once everyone was on full form he never really stayed close to them this year in CX.

He is a handsome lad.

He will be (is) able to beat MVDP an WvA on more hilly courses like LBL or FW but I he will have a very tough time against them in races like Tour of Flanders, PR or any race taking place in Flanders.

Interested in how and what Hirschi and van der Poel will do today.
That climb before Leukerbad is actually very difficult (a solid TdF cat. 1) and both Hirschi and VdP should struggle a lot there. Considering how tame/TdF-like are the rest of the mountain stages it may resut in a big GC battle as there's potentially a lot of time gain/loss on stake. Maybe even both of them could ship a good amount of time today to try and go for a break tomorrow and try to survive Lukmanierpass that should be a bit more feasible to both of them (much lesser gradient) and there's a high chance of breakaway going to the finish.

...just as i'm speaking, apparently VdP wants to be in the break!? Good luck with that!? Info from PCS.

Depends on whether Carapaz proves a point today already or makes his move tomorrow on Lukmanierpass.
I'm worried Lukmanierpass is too tame and too far from the finish to do anything. Gottardpass on the last day may be a better shout if the TT won't decide the GC.

I have a very faint memory of Chavanel doing this while in yellow in TdF 2010? i believe he did it once but don't remember when. However, he was the purest Tete de la Course outside of Voigt and VdP is a bit more suss. I still don't expect him to survive the next to last climb.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I have a very faint memory of Chavanel doing this while in yellow in TdF 2010? i believe he did it once but don't remember when. However, he was the purest Tete de la Course outside of Voigt and VdP is a bit more suss. I still don't expect him to survive the next to last climb.

Chavanel retook the jersey on a stage that was basically neutralized cause of slippery roads. I think it was oil spills.

Cancellara was generally an annoying controlling diva in that entire tour as I recall.

Chavanel retook the jersey on a stage that was basically neutralized cause of slippery roads. I think it was oil spills.

Cancellara was generally an annoying controlling diva in that entire tour as I recall.
Wasn't that the cobbled stage when they waited for Andy Schleck to be nurtured to the finish line, but when Armstrong punctured the peloton simply rode on!?

One of the few moments one had sympathy for Lance actually. Or at least empathy to be more precise!

Today the cyclists are riding in the Rhone valley (canton Valais) and in decisive kilometers will head north to do climbs in the Bernese Alps. The stage will be a test for GC contenders for sure. Leukerbad is a known resort and here is the photo from the pass above it (the finish town is at the bottom, steep rocky cliffs of Bernese Alps to the right and skyline of mighty 4-thousanders in the Pennine Alps is in the background).

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/somabiswas/38003992731

Yes. That's when Chavenel took the jersey. The road wasn't just slippery. It was dangerous. It caused a major crash that wiped out much of the field. So Cancellara went to the front to slow it down and allow everyone to regroup.

Wasn't that the cobbled stage when they waited for Andy Schleck to be nurtured to the finish line, but when Armstrong punctured the peloton simply rode on!?

One of the few moments one had sympathy for Lance actually. Or at least empathy to be more precise!

This was a different stage. Frank actually crashed going onto a cobbled section, but Andy managed to hold with Cancellara and gained big time on Contador who had issues on cobbles and late mechanical. Lance had mechanical on cobbles when attacks were going on. They weren't going to stop for him. Ever. And I have no sympathy or empathy for him. He wouldn't have waited.

TRENDING THREADS