• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse -Motorbike Outriders

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I've just caught today's highlights on Eurosport, but for the first time in watching cycling on TV - the motorbikes outnumbered the cyclists.

10k to the finish - 4 breakaway riders - 2 Movistar in the chase - 15 bleedin' motorbikes zooming up and down the road between the leaders and the peloton. Why 15? (I even counted them from the helicopter images - I'm sad)

I understand the odd camera bike and another with a photographer, but most were serving no purpose whatsoever and only had one outrider.

There was even an instance where the road narrowed with about 25k to go and 5 motorbikes were in the main group of the peloton.

I can't recall a race with so many - if you don't believe me - you count them tomorrow.

London Hibs said:
I've just caught today's highlights on Eurosport, but for the first time in watching cycling on TV - the motorbikes outnumbered the cyclists.

10k to the finish - 4 breakaway riders - 2 Movistar in the chase - 15 bleedin' motorbikes zooming up and down the road between the leaders and the peloton. Why 15? (I even counted them from the helicopter images - I'm sad)

I understand the odd camera bike and another with a photographer, but most were serving no purpose whatsoever and only had one outrider.

There was even an instance where the road narrowed with about 25k to go and 5 motorbikes were in the main group of the peloton.

There is definitely an increase in the number of motos zipping around in all races. I just hope that it doesn't lead to danger (more danger)!

I can't recall a race with so many - if you don't believe me - you count them tomorrow.

London Hibs said:

There is definitely an increase in the number of motos zipping around in all races. I just hope that it doesn't lead to danger (more danger)!

There has definitely been an increase in the number of motos zipping around. I just hope that they don't contribute to more danger as well.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
At one point there was a moto that was being passed by the first riders of the peloton, it looked like it was going to get swallowed by the peloton. I was thinking wtf is this guy doing, but then he finally sped up

Moose McKnuckles said:
London Hibs said:

You should see how many there are at the Vuelta. Half the Peloton are riding them.

Oh wait. Wrong forum. ;)

You made me spit apple sauce on my keyboard! :D