• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse - Stage 4, Schwarzenburg - Wettingen (192.2km)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I hope this injury doesn't put Haussler out of the TdF, he looked to be on great form.

I hope so as well. That would absolutely wreck his year if he misses out. If that does happen, maybe this year he can look towards the Fall Classics instead?

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
I hope this injury doesn't put Haussler out of the TdF, he looked to be on great form.

It's because of a wound on his elbow that needed stitches, so it's probably pain + shock + disappointment at crashing AGAIN, rather than a real long-term problem. At least, that's what I hope. I would've been way more concerned had he hurt his knee again.

pic118676400_600.jpg

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Something else... but still related to the crash (I think...)

This picture:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-upt/stage-4/photos/125983

What about the owner of the other bike?:eek:

Thats actually Cavs bike. The crash happened at 30m out and Cav walked across the line.

As for the bent front wheel - that was the result of the crash - and it was temporary. If you look at the sequence of photos of the crash, and even in the video, the wheel bends on impact with Heinrich, but then pops back into shape: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/102118550/AFP

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
slightly different question, did arnaud coyot go down in that crash or an earlier crash? to get a broken hip you need serious trauma must be horrible

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
stefrees said:
slightly different question, did arnaud coyot go down in that crash or an earlier crash? to get a broken hip you need serious trauma must be horrible

That crash, sort of. The sprinters crashed, the people behind slowed down and then stopped, and Coyot got caught up in the tail-end of it. It's not just the first twenty that are affected when someone decides that straight lines are for losers.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Boardslide said:
When you look closely at this video Hauslers front wheel touches between Cav's front & back wheels before the hard shoulder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRFh9GuLYbs

As I said before, Cav's front wheel collapses. The wheel veers left away from the line he was taking and collapsed from under him, now I know why.

This is the last in a sequence of events. You all need to take a very close look.

Quite clearly just before bodily contact you can see Hausler turn his front wheel right in towards Cavendish, he is steering right by turning the bars, his wheels are no longer in line but Cav's still are in line. Hausler does not hold his line, Cavendish does.

Then Hausler leans his bike way over to the left whilst still heading more sharply into Cavendish who has still not deviated from his slightly left trajectory. At this point Hausler has surprisingly steered way right into Cav, who is still holding his line. It looks as if Hausler's right arm hits Cav's side/hip.

Hausler's front wheel rim then goes in front of Cav's left foot and clips the rear of Cav's front wheel causing it to twist left and collapse and Cavendish goes down. Hausler steers away to his left and might have stayed up except that Cav's front wheel (now parallel to the ground) hits the bottom of his and down he goes.

As the Eurosport commentator ex-pro Brian Smith said about Cavendish "I don't think he veered off line he just drifted over" - just like all sprinters do, and there has been nothing wrong with that in the past.

Since close inspection shows Hausler steering into Cavendish whose fault is it?

BTW I am running (and rerunning) my HD Eurosport recording in slow motion on my 32" HD TV with stills so it's much clearer than YouTube. Anyone want me to mail them the sequence of stills?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I'd be interested to see, I have to say from looking at the (admittedly bad quality) YouTube that I can't see what you are describing.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Supervet said:
As I said before, Cav's front wheel collapses. The wheel veers left away from the line he was taking and collapsed from under him, now I know why.

This is the last in a sequence of events. You all need to take a very close look.

Quite clearly just before bodily contact you can see Hausler turn his front wheel right in towards Cavendish, he is steering right by turning the bars, his wheels are no longer in line but Cav's still are in line. Hausler does not hold his line, Cavendish does.

Then Hausler leans his bike way over to the left whilst still heading more sharply into Cavendish who has still not deviated from his slightly left trajectory. At this point Hausler has surprisingly steered way right into Cav, who is still holding his line. It looks as if Hausler's right arm hits Cav's side/hip.

Hausler's front wheel rim then goes in front of Cav's left foot and clips the rear of Cav's front wheel causing it to twist left and collapse and Cavendish goes down. Hausler steers away to his left and might have stayed up except that Cav's front wheel (now parallel to the ground) hits the bottom of his and down he goes.

As the Eurosport commentator ex-pro Brian Smith said about Cavendish "I don't think he veered off line he just drifted over" - just like all sprinters do, and there has been nothing wrong with that in the past.

Since close inspection shows Hausler steering into Cavendish whose fault is it?

BTW I am running (and rerunning) my HD Eurosport recording in slow motion on my 32" HD TV with stills so it's much clearer than YouTube. Anyone want me to mail them the sequence of stills?

id be very interested to see them

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Ok that's interesting, it does seem like it was Haussler's front wheel clipping the back of Cav's front wheel that caused Cav to go over, which is of course not to say that the crash was Haussler's fault.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
that youtube clip is interesting, it does seem as if haussler turns into cavs wheel causing the crash.... still completely accidental and cav shouldnt have deviated too much but its clear haussler also deviates

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
stefrees said:
that youtube clip is interesting, it does seem as if haussler turns into cavs wheel causing the crash.... still completely accidental and cav shouldnt have deviated too much but its clear haussler also deviates

wishful thinking... Cav caused the crash.