• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse: Stage 6, Meiringen - La Punt (213.3km)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On the basis of what?
Apart from prologues, Gesink is no slug at TT's

Armstrong hasn't done a good time trial since... well since 2005

The only long TT Gesink and Armstrong rode against eachother:

http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=10454

13. [NED] GESINK Robert RAB 01'15" 0
14. [USA] ARMSTRONG Lance AST 01'16" 0

This was a 24km TT in 2009 in California, Gesink lost 1'15 to Leipheimer (winner) and this was early season/none topform Gesink.

I'd say Armstrong has no chance of taking it in the ITT unless accidents happen.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesinks celebration is always the same

Tour of Belgium win as neo-pro:

Gesink in California 08

Gesink in Emilia, 09

Gesink today

Awesome pics thanks for posting. Do you know what the celebration means or is it just a pose he likes?

Dekker_Tifosi said:
On the basis of what?

This was a 24km TT in 2009 in California, Gesink lost 1'15 to Leipheimer (winner) and this was early season/none topform Gesink.

I'd say Armstrong has no chance of taking it in the ITT unless accidents happen.

I doubt Armstrong cares that much about winning but he desperately needs to put together a decent ITT performance. He has been sub par since his return and can't seem to find his rhythm on the TT bike.

I really fail to see why people think armstrong is going to win this. He needs to take back 50 seconds in a 25 km tt. Even if this was the tour i wouldnt bet on him.
He lost to Gesink in the tt in 09 california.
He lost to Gesink in the earlier tt here.
He didnt exactly set the world alight in the annency time trial, and that was far mour suited for him and for him was far more important.
He wont want to tire himself.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
On the basis of what?

Quote;"I'd say Armstrong has no chance of taking it in the ITT unless accidents happen"
What are you thinking by typing this?Do you want him to crash again?Lets not jinx poor Gesink out of this Suisse win....This stage race he deserves to win.Fingers crossed...

I'm not saying Gesink will win.

I just saying that I don't rate Armstrong as an opponent.
Im expecting more from others than Armstrong.

There are others that still have a good chance of beating Gesink in the coming stages and the time trial. But Armstrong is not one of them

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I'm not saying Gesink will win.

I just saying that I don't rate Armstrong as an opponent.
Im expecting more from others than Armstrong.

There are others that still have a good chance of beating Gesink in the coming stages and the time trial. But Armstrong is not one of them

Big Tex is freshly oiled, he will fly in the TT, like a Ferrari. :cool:

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Really impressed by Morabito, Carrara, and obviously Gesink today. PS, Stijn Devolder looked good for a while, but he eventually dropped back to the Tony Martin group. Still, a good ride by him. Also, does anyone know if Joaquim Rodriguez is riding the tour?

lancewillwin8 said:
Great to see Lance get back to somewhere near his best form. I can see Lance having the strength to drop contador on the climbs.

F*cking hilarious :D Not sure if you are regular posing as a troll, a real troll, or just a twit with a hard on for LA, but your posts have made me laugh, so I will give you credit for that much.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I really fail to see why people think armstrong is going to win this. He needs to take back 50 seconds in a 25 km tt. Even if this was the tour i wouldnt bet on him.
He lost to Gesink in the tt in 09 california.
He lost to Gesink in the earlier tt here.
He didnt exactly set the world alight in the annency time trial, and that was far mour suited for him and for him was far more important.
He wont want to tire himself.

I think a 25km TT is a good test for Lance. I think he will go full out if the course is safe. Not to much time to recover from that effort.

Bernardus said:
According to CQ, Gesink and Löfkvist have directly competed in 7 ITTs. Gesink finished ahead 3 times, Löfkvist 4 times. Looking at cumulative time differences, Gesink leads by almost 2 minutes.

Well, the sample size is a little small and inconclusive to give any indication about what will happen in this race. Alot of the times when Gesink has been faster has been when Gesink was in good form fighting in the GC while Löfkvist wasn't in the best form. I'm sure the same is true for some of the times that Löfkvist was ahead as well.

I would say that they are close enough so that it's their current form and the type of course that will determine who is stronger. Neither of them is a Fränk Schleck on the TT bike.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
Maybe he is scared of getting a hand too far away from the bars? :p

Personally, I'd be more worried saluting like he does than holding my arms straight out like balancing beams...

And...

This had to hurt:

[From the cyclingnews article:]

Rabobank director sportif Adri van Houwelingen was impressed with Gesink's performance, watching him put time into the chasing group led by no other than Lance Armstrong and his Radioshack team.

"It says something about Robert's victory when you see that Radioshack is blowing up the chase. Including the best riders in the team like Klöden and Leipheimer."

[end quote]

Ooooohh....

Great work Gesink!

I decided not to check any results and wait until it was shown on TV here... Unfortunately that experience was ruined by constant ad breaks, didn't actually get to see Gesink make his winning move (away from Schleck Jr?).

Andy put himself to the test - will probably learn more about where he's at with that performance than just sitting on or drifting back.

Mellow Velo said:
I am waiting for Rabo to announce that Gesink fell out of bed, during the night and is a doubtful starter.:rolleyes:;)
Don't you worry, he'll find a way to lose this race.

Road Hazard said:
Personally, I'd be more worried saluting like he does than holding my arms straight out like balancing beams...

And...

This had to hurt:

[From the cyclingnews article:]

Rabobank director sportif Adri van Houwelingen was impressed with Gesink's performance, watching him put time into the chasing group led by no other than Lance Armstrong and his Radioshack team.

"It says something about Robert's victory when you see that Radioshack is blowing up the chase. Including the best riders in the team like Klöden and Leipheimer."

[end quote]

Ooooohh....
That's a mistranslation (when is it not, at Cyclingnews?) He said that Klöden and Leipheimer are the best time trialists. Which Armstrong will also probably agree on.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
superb riding by gesink ! i always considered him a super talent and potentially a better climber than menchov. hope he does some wind tunnel testing and work on his flexibility and the tt results will follow as he's got some engine to boot to that skinny frame.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:
PS, Stijn Devolder looked good for a while, but he eventually dropped back to the Tony Martin group. Still, a good ride by him.
Devolder said he wasn't happy with his prestation and his form, and he doesn't want to ride the tour.
He will focus on the vuelta/WC

python said:
superb riding by gesink ! i always considered him a super talent and potentially a better climber than menchov. hope he does some wind tunnel testing and work on his flexibility and the tt results will follow as he's got some engine to boot to that skinny frame.

It appears he already does many hours on the TT bike, that is if he isn't lying about that on twitter.

But like theyoungest said, he'll find some way to lose this race :p

whwn gesink was beaten lance in toc tt last year, lance was in a comparatively very good pre-season tt form, because it was one of his main pre-season goals on the way to win maglia rosa. gesink had a shot on toc's white jearsey so hwe was in a decorous form , too. so this result might be verye representive.
apart from lance have the typical uspostal/radioshack/astana7discovery suddenly tt-flying syndrom like ll, horner pena or brajkovic have had before, but i don't even think that that would suit with his tdf preperation. he need to play a bit pokerface until july.

so rob could really win this, couldn't he? what about morabito's tt abillieties abillities? are they strong enough to catch rob? i don't see uran ore one of the others beat him.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Lance won't do squat in the TT. It's clear to me his top-end power is gone. Near the top of the climb yesterday he let the gap open and could not close it, despite what Paul Sherwen was saying. It just looks like on the climbs he can only go so deep but when there are accelerations he can't match it. This loss of high-end power will hurt him big-time in the TT.

He can still manage a good tempo for a climb, probably good enough to make the top 10 in the Tour (maybe better if the cobble stages destroy some GC favorites' hopes) but his days of hurting people are long gone.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Also, I was surprised at A. Schleck's ride yesterday. It looked to me he totally cracked as Gesink rode him off his wheel. And then he got shelled by the Armstrong group. He's got some work to do.

TRENDING THREADS