• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Down Under - Stage 1: Mawson Lakes - Angaston, 138km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ryo Hazuki said:
:rolleyes:

don't be so stupid. it's not webmaster. these guys get weight and measured at beginning of season and then these are put on website. that's why they fluctuate sometimes :rolleyes: so according to website he is now 184 and 81 kg and last year he was 79kg
Of course the team knows his weight. But don't read too much into those numbers on the website. If you look at the pictures you can see that he's shed some weight. Now what do you believe, the website or reality.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Well other than cricket and afl in Australia I guess not many sports would find showing an event profitable of that's the case. What other sports are there that would be profitable?

Thing is, this is a PT race. Its ridiculous that anyone from the offical tv broadcaster to the UCI doesn't think there's something wrong with letting it only have a highlights package for half of the race. There's not even some sort of delayed coverage...

Now, I'm not one to be talking down the 'importance' of a WorldTour event, which so many seem fond to do but it has to work both ways. The UCI can't label an event as high ranking enough to earn more points than some races that have been around for longer and then fail to make sure there's decent coverage of it to the masses. You can't take any high ground if you only do haf a job.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Thing is, this is a PT race. Its ridiculous that anyone from the offical tv broadcaster to the UCI doesn't think there's something wrong with letting it only have a highlights package for half of the race. There's not even some sort of delayed coverage...

Now, I'm not one to be talking down the 'importance' of a WorldTour event, which so many seem fond to do but it has to work both ways. The UCI can't label an event as high ranking enough to earn more points than some races that have been around for longer and then fail to make sure there's decent coverage of it to the masses. You can't take any high ground if you only do haf a job.

I like that the pro-tour has a relevant event in January, regardless of the media attention.

I really wish the Tour of California hadn't moved, and we could have a pro-tour TDU in January, followed by a pro-tour TOC in February to lead into the march races.

I know neither is bathed in media attention... but neither are other races in those spots on the calendar.

Now the TOC has moved... it's kind of useless.

A

Anonymous

The Hitch said:
Any highlights?

ANd im not talking about geo restricted ones, or sky. Im thinking proper internet highlights which anyone in the world can view on their browser.

Loads, sbs arent geo restricted (but very slow going up), teamskyfans are putting them up each day about 4pm on our site, youtube (tourdownunder) account goes up by about 9pm uk time on the day of the race, loads.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
The TDU should scrap the cancer council classic.

They should instead use a small stage with the climb up Baw Baw on the Saturday - ranked one of the top five toughest climbs in the world.

The riders can transfer to Adelaide and start racing on Tuesday.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I did that for the Giro in an argument with Francois. Monte ZOncolan was the most talked about stage at that race followed by Laquilla followed by Mortirolo, but most of Laquillas talk took place after the stage.

The Tour had more posts per stage than the Giro. Well some stage had almost nothing, but the Tourmalet and Arenberg stages got more posts than any Giro stage.

The one reason I became a mod. I now have the awesome ability to delete posts 'til the numbers please me.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
insideout leadout said:
Who will QS race for? Chicchi or Ciolek.....speed vs strength. Chicchi wears the first bib so I'll guess it's him.
For today's hard finish Definetly Ciolek. If you read Brownie's appraisal of the route on CN he said it is tough. The final 3km profile is wrong.

Sasquatch said:

They should instead use a small stage with the climb up Baw Baw on the Saturday - ranked one of the top five toughest climbs in the world.

I have an idea. Start the stage in thornton, climb up Lake Mountain, ride through Mcmahons creek, Warbuton, Yarra Junction, Noojee then baw Baw.
Lake Mountain Profile - the climb is a bit like Sierra nevada, not too steep but long.

Mt Baw Baw Profile

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Only few hours till Omerta-Greipel nails them. :p
Ultimate sprintershowdown Down Under.

:(

He wont get near the Columbia express. The Gossinator to rein supreme.

Apparently they are streaming race radio. I have been told to go to the TDU website and there should be a link but I cant find it!?!?!

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Sasquatch said:

If they did that, then all the star names would just give it a miss and it would soon cease to exist through lack of sponsors and public interest.

It's an exhibition race for the fans. Nothing more. Keep it as it is.

insideout leadout said:
I agree. They've got nothing to prove at this point of the season, and form matters in the early stages.

As i said before, it wouldnt be too silly of Cav to go for stages here as its easy points for the Worlds. The more points he gets, the more riders he has at the worlds, and the more riders he has there, the better his chances.

TDU he has the chance for 5 stages + a PT WIN. Thats going to be worth a lot of points for GB. Its 6 months to the tour and 2 months till Milan San Remo so its not like hes sabotaging any other races, and the TDU is probably the easiest week long race on the planet. Hes going to be spending 7 days slipstreaming behind teammates on flats, and popping out for little sprints now and again.

He has nothing to lose and everything to gain by going for it.

Better to accumulate the points easily now, then scramble for them later in the season, in tougher races.