• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Down Under - Stage 1: Mawson Lakes - Angaston, 138km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Looks like Greipel DOES have intentions for this year's TDU, after all.

It will be Goss versus Greipel for overall honours.

Should be interesting.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
So there you go. There'll be a HUGE amount of hype about Matt Goss this year. At least Greipel can console himself that he's got bigger fish to fry than the TDU.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Bailey said:
Looks like Greipel DOES have intentions for this year's TDU, after all.

It will be Goss versus Greipel for overall honours.

Should be interesting.

Greipel doesn't have much of a chance in this scenario IMO if Goss has Cav and Renshaw doing leadouts for him, and Goss can climb a little better than Greipel too (though they're saying on the radio that Greipel's lost some weight, maybe he will be able to climb a little better). Shouldn't be very close. I wonder if HTC will go for a second podium place if Goss gets it wrapped up.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Timmy-loves-Rabo is looking more like a wizard all the time.
His pre-race call (Goss wins) for Sunday's cancer council classic:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=411782#post411782
...4th post from the top on that page

Well, it's not really that hard to predict Goss to win. The only question mark was whether they would work for him or Cav but when they are working for Goss then he would always be one of the absolute favourites.

ingsve said:
Ya, he was 4th and Hendo 10th. I wonder if they went wiht Sutton because Hendo was feeling stiff after his crash.

Has anyone seen the other in the top 10?

O'Grady 14th
Gerrans 15th
Davis 17th

I don't care, tell me the top10 not random Aussies!

It will be hours before official results are published, not sure why, can't they just use ASO/RCS style timing.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
McEwen is talking like a guy who is genuinely trying very hard this race. He sounds hungry. Wants at least a stage win. Would be nice to see, but he has little hope. I guess he's lucky just to be riding this year...

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Robbie Hunter helped Robbie McEwen pass 50 or so riders to get him back up to the front few wheels before the finishing few hundred meters. I think he said he got pushed out a bit prior to that.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow, Robbie getting help for once.

Good ride by Goss, amazed so many believed the hype about the Cav-Griepl thing. Still, would be good to see them (and Farrar) have a real go at each other at least once.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
TheComeBackKid said:
McEwen seems to have a new zip in his step since he signed up with Bruyneel and Armstrong.

Yep, I think you're right.

He sounds like he's very serious about repaying their faith in him. Same goes for Hunter. They both appreciate how lucky they are, no doubt.