• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Down Under - Stage 1: Mawson Lakes - Angaston, 138km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Wow, Robbie getting help for once.

Good ride by Goss, amazed so many believed the hype about the Cav-Griepl thing. Still, would be good to see them (and Farrar) have a real go at each other at least once.

Yeah, I agree. I think if any of us were paid million(s) just to file an appearance at a given race, we'd feel a slight obligation to do something more than just show up and take the cheque. Even just for one stage.

Armstrong did so a couple of times last year. I hope Cavendish fires up at least once before he leaves. Maybe the last stage if Goss has the event already sewn up by then...

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Cav was paid an appearance fee?

Well, I understood that as an implication of one of ACF94's early hysterical posts on the TDU, anyway...

Actually I must confess I don't know for sure. Can anyone confirm? It wouldn't surprise me. Even Lance's appearance fees are kept relatively quiet down here. Albeit a justifiable investment given this event's very high profit for our little economy.

If Cav wasn't paid to come down here instead of the desert straights of Qatar, then, from our perspective, it's certainly good to see him have a drastic change of heart on bothering with the TDU.

1. Goss
2. Greipel
3. McEwen
4. Sutton
5. Viviani
6. Feillu
7. Ballan
8. Isasi
9. Rojas
10. Henderson
12. Cooke
14. O'Grady
15. Gerrans
17. Davis
62. Cavendish
81. Armstrong
98. Bobridge
129. JHH

Puzzle is slowly coming together, now where is 11, 13, 16, 18, 19, 20...

GC

Goss
Greipel +4s
McEwen +6s
Docker +7s
Minguez st
Perget st
Clarke st

The rest at +10s.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
How did Goss beat greipel? Serious WTF?

Told you. Back during the Chasing Legends premier in the UK, Cavendish said he doesn't fear Greipel. The only rider he feels who can beat him in a sprint is Goss.

auscyclefan94 said:

Did you actually think Greipel was really that fast? He's really not that exceptional in terms of speed. People get a little blind by all his wins but they forget that they are mostly against lesser opponents.

Cavendish is certainly the fastest but behind him there is a group of sprinters that are quite even where no one consistently beats all the others. Greipel, Farrar, Petacchi, Goss and perhaps a few others are all in that group and Greipel isn't even the fastest of that bunch either in the long run I think. I think Goss who has developed tremendously since he came to HTC last year might be on his way ahead of that group even on pure speed. It would be interesting to see Goss vs Farrar in a fair sprint with both on form sometime this year.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Why the surprise? Greipel has only really raced in lesser events with relatively weak fields.

Goss is a class act. I think Greipel has rated himself far too highly.

auscyclefan94 said:

What's surprising about that?

Lots of people have been saying Goss is just as fast as Greipel, Farrar etc for 6 months, such comments are not unsubstantiated. Look at the Giro, he was better than Greipel, in the Vuelta he was ripping everyone to shreds even before Cav turned it on.

(What ingsve said)

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Bailey said:
Well, I understood that as an implication of one of ACF94's early hysterical posts on the TDU, anyway...

Actually I must confess I don't know for sure. Can anyone confirm? It wouldn't surprise me. Even Lance's appearance fees are kept relatively quiet down here. Albeit a justifiable investment given this event's very high profit for our little economy.

If Cav wasn't paid to come down here instead of the desert straights of Qatar, then, from our perspective, it's certainly good to see him have a drastic change of heart on bothering with the TDU.

Cavendish said he hasn't been paid a fee. And he does tend to be pretty honest in what he says.

Haedo bros couldn't handle the pace :(

128. [ARG] HAEDO Lucas Sebastian SBS 01'33" 0
129. [ARG] HAEDO Juan Jose SBS 01'33"

That leaves COOKE as the sprinter for SBS, so maybe Porte will do something (lets not forget TANNER though).

Btw was the finish actually difficult, or were sprinters just being lazy in their first race?

Ferminal said:
Haedo bros couldn't handle the pace :(

128. [ARG] HAEDO Lucas Sebastian SBS 01'33" 0
129. [ARG] HAEDO Juan Jose SBS 01'33"

That leaves COOKE as the sprinter for SBS, so maybe Porte will do something (lets not forget TANNER though).

Btw was the finish actually difficult, or were sprinters just being lazy in their first race?
Looks like a puncture to me, and one brother waiting for the other.

If you look at the sprinters who are up there (Goss, McEwen, Feillu, Ballan even), they all like a slightly uphill finish. So I guess it was somewhat difficult.

Photos:

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2011/01/tour-down-under-stage-1-2/#more-16667
stage1photofinish.jpg

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Greipel is not some unbeatable sprint beast. He's hardly ever won in a race with a decent field. Cav's "**** small races" comment might not have been very nice, he was sort of right.

So we can make that conclusion because of a loss to Goss? He did beat everyone else. And it's not like he was lacking victories at the Vuelta '09 against a strong field. The reason why he mostly raced small races up to now is mainly Cav's own fault as being the "superior" sprinter in HTC.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
The last ten kms into Angaston are deceptively difficult. The main street gradually increases in gradient all the way to the finish line. It's similar to the Hahndorf finish of previous years, complicated by a gradual turn in the road.

insideout leadout said:
So we can make that conclusion because of a loss to Goss? He did beat everyone else. And it's not like he was lacking victories at the Vuelta '09 against a strong field. The reason why he mostly raced small races up to now is mainly Cav's own fault as being the "superior" sprinter in HTC.

That he's not unbeatable?

He's never been unbeatable.

insideout leadout said:
Did you read ACF's post I reacted to? It said "Goss beat Greipel! WTF!" as if Greipel is well-nigh unbeatable. Well, he's not. And most of his wins are against a weaker field, that's just how it is.

TRENDING THREADS