• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Down Under - Stage 2: Taliem Bend - Mannum, 146km

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Wednesday 19 January 2011

Start Time: 11am (Railway Terrace, Tailem Bend)

Skoda King of the Mountain: Dawesley Hill

Jayco Sprint Locations: Kanmantoo and Mount Pleasant

Feed Station: Charleston

Finish Time: 2.41pm

tdu-stage2.PNG

TDU11_PROFILE_stage2_FINAL.jpg

Preview of stage with Pat Jonker

Weather: 29oC, Sunny. SSE winds so from Mount Pleasant onwards it will be head to cross wind.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I personally think that the final 3km profile of stage 1 is actually for stage 2 and vice versa. Today's finish was uphillish and it didn't look like that on today's final 3km profile.

"Cav was on my wheel as we were starting to sprint but to be honest I don't have eyes in the back of my head so I couldn't see where I was.
"We had a plan at the start of the day and that plan was that Cav was going to be on my wheel and we'd see what happened. If I could win I'd take it and if he could come past he'd come past. If he finished second he could and put more of a gap between us and the other riders in the GC so we had all bases covered, I think."
from the cyclingnews.con race report

So the plan of HTC was that Cav takes part of the sprint. Hopefully we see him in the mix at stage 2.
HTC and Greipel are a bit stronger than the rest, so I predict a battle between them.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Forget the stage winner i want to know if Luke Roberts can hang onto his King of the Mountains jersey! He has to negotiate a bridge today..:p

Faserr said:
"Cav was on my wheel as we were starting to sprint but to be honest I don't have eyes in the back of my head so I couldn't see where I was.
"We had a plan at the start of the day and that plan was that Cav was going to be on my wheel and we'd see what happened. If I could win I'd take it and if he could come past he'd come past. If he finished second he could and put more of a gap between us and the other riders in the GC so we had all bases covered, I think."
from the cyclingnews.con race report

So the plan of HTC was that Cav takes part of the sprint. Hopefully we see him in the mix at stage 2.
HTC and Greipel are a bit stronger than the rest, so I predict a battle between them.

I can't help but feel disgusted by this tactic from HTC. They already have the fastest sprinters and best organized lead outs but now they are also riding with a buffer at the wheel of their sprinter to increase the gap to the opponents? I think this is a very low thing to do and it's frankly unsportsmanlike behavior. They need to grow up and race like men.

interesting comments about "a Bridge"...

the bridge itself, which is several k's outside the township of Murray Bridge, is flat and if you're coming from the Tailem Bend side, it's a long sweeping downhill... so, f*cknose where that climb actually is

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
I can't help but feel disgusted by this tactic from HTC. They already have the fastest sprinters and best organized lead outs but now they are also riding with a buffer at the wheel of their sprinter to increase the gap to the opponents? I think this is a very low thing to do and it's frankly unsportsmanlike behavior. They need to grow up and race like men.

Umm... trying to win first AND second would seem to be very good racing. What's the problem?

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it seems like a pretty valid tactic if you have more than one fast man. In fact its one they should have used before.

Maybe we shall see it again at a little race in July. Its certainly a good way of taking points away from Farrar.

kurtinsc said:
Umm... trying to win first AND second would seem to be very good racing. What's the problem?

The problem is that it's unsportsmanlike and obstructionist. You have a guy in the middle of the sprint that isn't there only to sprint. It's simply a dirty tactic. What's next? Will the buffer guy simply leave a gap to the sprinter with 300m to go to further help with the win?

A

Anonymous

Archibald said:
interesting comments about "a Bridge"...

the bridge itself, which is several k's outside the township of Murray Bridge, is flat and if you're coming from the Tailem Bend side, it's a long sweeping downhill... so, f*cknose where that climb actually is

That brings in the idea of a whole new jersey. The king of the descent jersey. Points awarded at the base of each slope.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
The problem is that it's unsportsmanlike and obstructionist. You have a guy in the middle of the sprint that isn't there only to sprint. It's simply a dirty tactic. What's next? Will hte buffer guy simply leave a gap to the sprinter with 300m to go to further help with the win?

Tail-gunners have been a part of sprinting since approximately forever. It's not a dirty tactic in the slightest, it's a legitimate part of the positioning battle that always takes place leading up to a sprint. HTC is putting their whole team in a line a the front of the pack, with their fastest guys in the rear. If the second-fastest guy is fast enough to win for them, there is nothing dirty about leaving the fastest guy to mop up second and hold the field at bay.

Seriously, get over yourself and stop whining.

I didn't realise that Cav was in the mix leading up to the sprint, I assumed he'd sat it out along with Tyler Farrar. I guess he really IS fat if he couldn't get up the baby slope without getting dropped. Hopefully he can shed some pounds and find some form before the real racing starts.

Jamsque said:
Tail-gunners have been a part of sprinting since approximately forever. It's not a dirty tactic in the slightest, it's a legitimate part of the positioning battle that always takes place leading up to a sprint. HTC is putting their whole team in a line a the front of the pack, with their fastest guys in the rear. If the second-fastest guy is fast enough to win for them, there is nothing dirty about leaving the fastest guy to mop up second and hold the field at bay.

Seriously, get over yourself and stop whining.

I didn't realise that Cav was in the mix leading up to the sprint, I assumed he'd sat it out along with Tyler Farrar. I guess he really IS fat if he couldn't get up the baby slope without getting dropped. Hopefully he can shed some pounds and find some form before the real racing starts.

Well, you claim it's been around forever but I've never seen it once in 13 years following pro cycling.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Well, you claim it's been around forever but I've never seen it once in 13 years following pro cycling.

Boonen/Steegmans in the Tour in 2007?

Cavendish/Greipel in the Giro in 2008?

Both times the final leadout was fast enough to win and the top sprinter sat on the wheel to take second rather then pass to win it. That was just off the top of my head, I'm sure it happened more often then just that.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Boonen/Steegmans in the Tour in 2007?

Cavendish/Greipel in the Giro in 2008?

Both times the final leadout was fast enough to win and the top sprinter sat on the wheel to take second rather then pass to win it. That was just off the top of my head, I'm sure it happened more often then just that.

And a similar one in the Tour of 2009 where Renshaw kept racing after the leadout and took second on Champs-Élysées behind Cav who won it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Suffice to say if you have been watching cycling for 13 years and never seen tail-gunning before I don't think you have been paying much attention.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I personally think that the final 3km profile of stage 1 is actually for stage 2 and vice versa. Today's finish was uphillish and it didn't look like that on today's final 3km profile.

I buy that.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
It is just the next thing in sprinting honestly, we had the, all for one/one for all, the lead out man, the train, and now this. I am more interested in what the next tactic will be 5-7 years from now. This one isn't as sexy as the lead out train (in my opinion) specifically Ale-jet's fasso train.

TRENDING THREADS