• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Down Under - Stage 3: Unley to Stirling, 129km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 25, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I put the preview in on the topic post (#1) so people can look at the preview of the stage.

btw, Sutton & B Sulzberger aren't, Cav is 50/50 i think on starting but meyer will as it was suspected that Cam had a broken collar bone.

Who was the BMC rider that tried flying after Thomas went down? He'd be knocked up quite a bit.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
Who was the BMC rider that tried flying after Thomas went down? He'd be knocked up quite a bit.

Kristoff was caught up in one of them but he lost a minute so he must of been in the first one, it could of possibly been Moinard.! I think he is actually alright as he went down the hardest in that crash as he had no time to get around Thomas so went flying over the top.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Kristoff was caught up in one of them but he lost a minute so he must of been in the first one, it could of possibly been Moinard.! I think he is actually alright as he went down the hardest in that crash as he had no time to get around Thomas so went flying over the top.

No kidding. If he few any further he'd have beateb Ben Swift to the finish.

theyoungest said:
He'll have a go, BMC will want some kind of result in this race. He was already 6th or something in the first bunch sprint.

Don't they have Kristoff for results, or so ACF keeps telling us?

Right, this stage has a slightly uphill finish, and featured the likes of Evans and Valverde up in the top 10 last year.

Should I pay this stage a bit more attention than the total apathy I've treated the first two with, or should I sleep more, have a lie-in, watch the biathlon and wait for Willunga?

Tuarts said:

auscyclefan94 said:

That was actually Kristoff. He didn't lose any time eventhough the results kind of look like he did but if you check the overall then you see that Kristoff is on the same time as most others.

Libertine Seguros said:
Don't they have Kristoff for results, or so ACF keeps telling us?

Right, this stage has a slightly uphill finish, and featured the likes of Evans and Valverde up in the top 10 last year.

Should I pay this stage a bit more attention than the total apathy I've treated the first two with, or should I sleep more, have a lie-in, watch the biathlon and wait for Willunga?

Well in 2009 Graeme Brown came 2nd on the same stage, that should convince you.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

I think you should lie in, just like me. Bed pigs of Europe unite!

In fact, I am starting a revolution from my bed in protest at how cycling is being promoted elsewhere around the world besides my historical little traditional Europe!

This is not an insular way of thinking. I will go back to bed and then sandpaper my head instead of watch others enjoying MY Euro-only sport!

I am not really here because i have no interest in the TDU. In fact, I'm not typing this and I'm not in this forum either.

This forum is not European enough for me. Even this font doesn't have enough tradition for me to enjoy using it!

Cycling is ONLY European. It should not be enjoyed or promoted elsewhere. Let me know if you need me to repeat that sentence in every thread where the TDU is discussed! Until you get the hint that I'm not interested.

I hate the sport I love, cycling. I hate it being promoted, enjoyed and encouraged in other places around the world besides my own little historical snow-covered region.

If something doesn't happen here in Europe, it should not be recognised by anyone. Races like the TDU and the TOC are making cycling way too popular and keeping it alive and well all around the world, just as it is coming under attack from other sports. i would rather it to die off (like it died off on German television) rather than enjoy seeing it DEVELOP elsewhere.

I repeat, I don't want cycling to exist except in Europe. Europe is all that counts. Screw the millions of people who don't happen to live up each other's arses, all in my same tiny over-populated European country.

It is winter ONLY right now, and in winter in Europe we don't cycle or want others to enjoy our sport because that would be sharing and that would suck. All or nothing!

Thanks for reading this. I am not really here and I am not really typing this. I have no interest in the sport I love, cycling, and I don't want to contribute to any discussion on this [insert your favourite insult] race in Australia.

kthxbai! :rolleyes:

I don't think LS has ever suggested something like that. Rather, a boring race is boring, regardless of what timezone or continent it is held. A boring race is even more boring when there's no TV coverage. Are you suggesting that 125km of cruising and 5km of bunch sprint is exciting for LS (who is notable for detesting the bunch gallop)?

Two of the most exciting races of last season were held in North America.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Bailey said:

In fact, I am starting a revolution from my bed in protest at how cycling is being promoted elsewhere around the world besides my historical little traditional Europe!

This is not an insular way of thinking. I will go back to bed and then sandpaper my head instead of watch others enjoying MY Euro-only sport!

I am not really here because i have no interest in the TDU. In fact, I'm not typing this and I'm not in this forum either.

This forum is not European enough for me. Even this font doesn't have enough tradition for me to enjoy using it!

Cycling is ONLY European. It should not be enjoyed or promoted elsewhere. Let me know if you need me to repeat that sentence in every thread where the TDU is discussed! Until you get the hint that I'm not interested.

I hate the sport I love, cycling. I hate it being promoted, enjoyed and encouraged in other places around the world besides my own little historical snow-covered region.

If something doesn't happen here in Europe, it should not be recognised by anyone. Races like the TDU and the TOC are making cycling way too popular and keeping it alive and well all around the world, just as it is coming under attack from other sports. i would rather it to die off (like it died off on German television) rather than enjoy seeing it DEVELOP elsewhere.

I repeat, I don't want cycling to exist except in Europe. Europe is all that counts. Screw the millions of people who don't happen to live up each other's arses, all in my same tiny over-populated European country.

It is winter ONLY right now, and in winter in Europe we don't cycle or want others to enjoy our sport because that would be sharing and that would suck. All or nothing!

Thanks for reading this. I am not really here and I am not really typing this. I have no interest in the sport I love, cycling, and I don't want to contribute to any discussion on this [insert your favourite insult] race in Australia.

kthxbai!...

+1 It's a flat stage race. It takes more even than the desperation for racing developed over (European) winter to get very excited about it. Following the Tour de San Luis?

Libertine Seguros said:
You're right. Having the same profile every year does help since you can look at the results and predict things like this.

I wonder if Tarjei Bø can keep up his strong run of form.

He better keep his form since the cross country squad is doing all they can to lure Svendsen over to ride the relay in Oslo instead of the sprint and pursuit in russia.

I don't give a damn about the Tour of Denmark, or the Niedersachsenrundfahrt, either.

That the race is in Australia is no bearing on whether the race is interesting or not for me. The point is, racing in Australia is in the middle of the night for us Europeans. There is no live coverage to watch. During the (now no longer run) Niedersachsenrundfahrt and the Tour of Denmark there are other races to watch. During the TDU, there aren't (yes there's San Luís, but time-wise it doesn't cross over due to the position of Argentina and Australia in the world).

Also, because the TDU is a) ProTour and b) the first major race of the season, it gets FAR more discussion than a similarly flat and dull stage race would get elsewhere in the season.

There could be a fantastic stage race in Australia, and I'd love to one day see it. But the TDU in its current guise is NOT a fantastic stage race. It's boring, it's repulsive, and it's not worth staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning for when there isn't even live coverage.

So, since it's winter over here, I'll get some sleep and watch wintersports instead. Maybe I'll watch the highlights. Maybe I won't.

Bailey said:

kthxbai! :rolleyes:

The worst thing about the TDU/TOC brigades, is the “you only want euro cycling” trolling.

This belief that only Australia and the US represent globalisation.

But surprise surprise, an Australian plays the globalisation card simply to further an extremely crappy race in his own city. Just like 1 or 2 here use the same pathetic card to try to advance the unremarkable TOC into gt status and ruin cycling.

You want globalisation, why don’t you support the advancement of races in America Latina, which actually cares about cycling, has 10 times as much cycling history, and which is capable of providing interesting racing. Or to Asia, which would also provide better racing, and which actually has a market for it, and an opportunity to increase the sport big time. But no, what these few chauvinists call globalisation, is to give major race status to a poor race in a country with the pop of metro shangai. Half that of Tokyo-Yokohama alone.

Yes that’s really going to advance the sport of cycling :rolleyes:

I want cycling outside of europe very much. So much i want to see Vuelta a Colombia given gt status. But give me proven awesome European races over the proven boring Tour de Adelaide any day, thank you very much.

The problem is not globalisation into the "wrong" areas per se (Australia and the US could put on brilliant races if they had the funding, the wherewithal and the spot on the calendar). It's a multi-tiered problem. Races in new areas either have to go slowly through the building process (Turkey in its current guise, for example) building up status from being smallish events to attracting more and more big teams, or they have to go for the 'straight to the top' approach with the help of the UCI and/or sponsors stumping up appearance fees for top riders. It really depends on how ingrained cycling is; if it is ingrained then the former approach is better, but if it isn't then the latter approach is almost necessary; in order to justify the costs of putting the event on, they need the stars to show. But then, in order to get the stars to show, they often find themselves having to take undesirable slots in the calendar.

The TDU has carved its own little niche and seems happy with its position. It knows that the bigger stars aren't going to fight with any great seriousness for it, and that it can't be too tough because most people treat it like a preseason friendly. But though that does mean you get a good cast of star names, it does also mean that you often get uninspiring, predictable racing.

Don't take my reference to biathlon as flippance. I know in Australia wintersports are pretty niche, but we do like our wintersports here, and I am quite a big biathlon fan. I would be watching it, TDU or no TDU. I have just made the decision that the TDU isn't likely to be interesting enough to justify staying up until stupid o'clock and jeopardising my enjoyment of another event I want to watch and is likely to be less dull.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
So, since it's winter over here, I'll get some sleep and watch wintersports instead. Maybe I'll watch the highlights. Maybe I won't.

My left nut itched but I scratched it and that seemed to take care of the problem.

Also, I folded instead of scrunched the toilet paper last time i wiped my backside.

I will keep you informed on all future mundane developments just in case you care as much as we do about whether you will watch the highlights or not.

:cool:

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I don't think LS has ever suggested something like that. Rather, a boring race is boring, regardless of what timezone or continent it is held. A boring race is even more boring when there's no TV coverage. Are you suggesting that 125km of cruising and 5km of bunch sprint is exciting for LS (who is notable for detesting the bunch gallop)?

Two of the most exciting races of last season were held in North America.

My opinions as to what is or is not boring is fairly subjective. I won't trouble you with them since everyone has an opinion and a threshold for what is tolerable. Endless repetition is more boring than ANY boring bike race.

If I tell you a race is boring, I hope I make the point (should i so desire) and then just leave it at that. No need to keep flogging a horse once it's died. Let alone waking up each day and then continue flogging it.

The TDU is boring for you. Fine. Move along and allow others to enjoy it or dislike it as they may. To do otherwise is to troll.

Bailey said:
My opinions as to what is or is not boring is fairly subjective. I won't trouble you with them since everyone has an opinion and a threshold for what is tolerable. Endless repetition is more boring than ANY boring bike race.

If I tell you a race is boring, I hope I make the point (should i so desire) and then just leave it at that. No need to keep flogging a horse once it's died. Let alone waking up each day and then continue flogging it.

The TDU is boring for you. Fine. Move along and allow others to enjoy it or dislike it as they may. To do otherwise is to troll.

So LS asking an honest question and me giving an honest answer (helping out a fellow forumite) is flogging a dead horse?

You started this argument, not LS or myself.

No one has hardly made a bad comment about the race in the three stage threads until your rant triggered the expected reaction.

Couldn't the TDU be a bit more like San Luis? Granted, they don't have the South American teams which are in the middle of the season, but surely the TDU could become a bit tougher without scaring anybody off? Just two kind of hilly finishes and perhaps a short ITT would be enough.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The worst thing about the TDU/TOC brigades, is the “you only want euro cycling” trolling.

This belief that only Australia and the US represent globalisation.

Eh?

The Hitch said:
But surprise surprise, an Australian plays the globalisation card simply to further an extremely crappy race in his own city. Just like 1 or 2 here use the same pathetic card to try to advance the unremarkable TOC into gt status and ruin cycling.

Yep. I like seeing cycling come down here. Apparently so does the UCI. I limit it to that and make no further representations as to how I view the broader concept of "globalisation" that you've chosen to abstract from my comments.

We like it coming down here. You find it "extremely crappy" and "unremarkable". Fine. That's a matter for you. Continually hammering these threads about how boring the TDU is in your opinion surely falls within the definition of troll-like and unwelcome forum conduct.

The Hitch said:
You want globalisation, why don’t you support the advancement of races in America Latina, which actually cares about cycling, has 10 times as much cycling history, and which is capable of providing interesting racing. Or to Asia, which would also provide better racing, and which actually has a market for it, and an opportunity to increase the sport big time.

I don't care about globalisation as you describe it and I don't care about where cycling goes. I just like seeing it down here and I recommend it to other non-European nations. I won't be chaining myself to any embassies to promote it, nor will I bombard any forums like a bona fide troll in order to tell everyone how bored I am. Unlike your good selves, I happen to know that no one else gets too moist over how bored I am about anything.

The Hitch said:
what these few chauvinists call globalisation, is to give major race status to a poor race in a country with the pop of metro shangai. Half that of Tokyo-Yokohama alone.

Yes that’s really going to advance the sport of cycling :rolleyes:

Um. I'm sorry?

Either way, it's here now and it's been here for a few years. Deal with it - and preferably without trolling about how bored you are.

The Hitch said:
I want cycling outside of europe very much. So much i want to see Vuelta a Colombia given gt status.

I want a trip to Hawaii, but what I want doesn't really matter. Snap!

The Hitch said:
But give me proven awesome European races over the proven boring Tour de Adelaide any day, thank you very much.

Okay, go enjoy Euro races only and leave us alone to enjoy this one without your boring boredom comments? Whatever you do, don't let the door hit your **** on the way out.

Luckily for many of us, both Euro AND non-Euro (to step around your ridiculous and erroneous assumption that i only care for US and AUS races) races are interesting. You don't share that opinion.

Hmm. The maths on that would infer I like cycling a bit more than you? No matter where it takes place? Apparently so.

Each day you and others insist on broadcasting your boredom in these threads. THAT's called trolling and I reckon the admin should take a close look at it. Poor form.

I suppose it is pretty boring, and I wouldn't watch it if it was on at any other point of the year, but after a few months without any racing I'm just happy there's something to watch, even if they are all mostly sprints.

Well I would be watching it if it was being shown.

And it's nice to see the new jerseys :eek:

And I don't know about the Vuelta a Colombia getting GT status - that'd kinda ruin it. Maybe if a few Euro teams went along and the UCI bumped it up to 2.HC so we got some TV coverage/TV highlights.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Obviously you cared enough to write a huge response where you got upset at your local parade being slighted by some parochial European who's scared of leaving his little snowy garden.

Frankly, yeah, I've been reading your ridiculous, childish posts in these threads for a few days and decided i'd had enough. It appears others share my view that you're being a troll.

Grow up.

Decide whether to contribute constructively or **** off and go back to bed. I'll make sure not to bombard any of the threads you're interested in with my derogatory remarks.