• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Match Up: Gesink v Van Den Broeck

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish higher in the Tour de France?

• TGBM!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't think that anyone except Dekker_T still cares about this discussion, let's wait for the Tour for Gesink to show what he's made of. I too have the feeling he can do much better than last year, but he's still got to do it. Not just in theory, but in real life.

And yes, El Pistolero truly is the chauvinistic side of everything Wuyts or Vannieuwkerke ever said turned to flesh.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
MisterX said:
Ugh....your beloved Contador again. Please refrain yourself from this discussion, because you're not objective at any stretch of the imagination. I'm no Dutchie but really you belittle every accomplishment a Dutch rider made, knowing this because I've been lurking this for quite some time now.

No, I don't. It's D_T who's belittling Nibali's accomplishments here actually ;)

And I'm sorry for making a correct analogy. I'll never do it again!

But anyway in theory Gesink is a better climber than VDB. But what's it worth on the road? We'll see soon enough. Did I just belittle poor bald Gesink again? :eek:

You Dutchies really can't take a lot of criticism it seems. If I say Gesink falls a lot in GTs it's as if I'm belittling him. If I say Nibali was sevent in the Tour at age 2009 then it was only so because it was a pedelback Tour :rolleyes: Yeah, if that's not belittling then I don't know what is. It seems you can only belittle cyclists that aren't Dutch here.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
They will both ride the Vuelta so there you will see. Wanna bet? Even if Gesink does the Tour/Vuelta double he'll be better than a rested Nibali there

It would only make a difference if Gesink won that Vuelta, hence pulling himself level with Nibali.

There are a few riders that are/were really good but won't be remembered because they did not win big races. Even Joseba Beloki won't be remembered in a few years.

That's what puts Nibali ahead of Gesink for many people I guess... The proven ability to win a GT.

And yet even if Gesink or any Dutch rider would win big races / stages, I'm confident you would find some way to belittle them. I'll save the quotes next time there is some performance of a dutch rider and you comment on it. To confront you with your own behaviour which you now deny.

Wasn't it you who's 1st comment after Omloop het Nieuwsblad that the dutch just 'won another pyrrhic victory"?? That could indicate 'belittling' to most people you know?

boomcie said:
It would only make a difference if Gesink won that Vuelta, hence pulling himself level with Nibali.

There are a few riders that are/were really good but won't be remembered because they did not win big races. Even Joseba Beloki won't be remembered in a few years.

That's what puts Nibali ahead of Gesink for many people I guess... The proven ability to win a GT.

So you'd also say Peter Velits is ahead and a better rider than (name an actual good rider here) because he podiummed at the vuelta?
Vuelta 2010 was still one of the weakest fields ever in a GT

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
And yet even if Gesink or any Dutch rider would win big races / stages, I'm confident you would find some way to belittle them. I'll save the quotes next time there is some performance of a dutch rider and you comment on it. To confront you with your own behaviour which you now deny.

Wasn't it you who's 1st comment after Omloop het Nieuwsblad that the dutch just 'won another pyrrhic victory"?? That could indicate 'belittling' to most people you know?

Wasn't it you who said Langeveld could never win the Ronde while I said he could(and finished fifth and Nuyens who didn't enter the Omloop and isn't much better than Langeveld was first?). I still stand by that comment. The first and second of that Ronde didn't enter the Omloop because they didn't want to peak too soon. If Gilbert or Boonen wins the Omloop next year I'll say just the same.

Yeah, did I belittle Kruisdingie or Wout Pouls? Nope :) They were impressive. But you constantly belittle people like Frank Schleck and Vincenzo Nibali. And pretty much every cyclist that gets beaten by a Dutchie.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
boomcie said:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
So you'd also say Peter Velits is ahead and a better rider than (name an actual good rider here) because he podiummed at the vuelta?
Vuelta 2010 was still one of the weakest fields ever in a GT

How is that not the exact opposite of what I said? I say Velits will be remembered by no one.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Stop finger pointing everytime anyone puts a mirror up to you, it's childish :eek:

BTw just by calling him 'kruisdingie' you are already belittling him. Point proven.

Or I don't know how to correctly write his name? ;)

I'm just stating your hypocrisy. Seems you can't handle it.

I really fail to see how I'm such a biased Belgian when I don't even think VDB is a better climber than Gesink :eek: I just wouldn't be surprised if he actually did manage to get in front of him in the GC like last year.

If anyone here should never start about hypocrisie it's you... again, stop the finger pointing and put a mirror up for yourself maybe? Then look into it.

It's not me and some dutchies, it's even total strangers who just confirmed to you you are belittling dutch riders and everything they do. Doesn't that tell you anything??

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
And where did I belittle Gesink here? :)

I just said he crashes a lot in a GT thus it wouldn't be a surprise to see someone like Jurgen van den Broeck finish infront of him in a GC. It's even an option in the poll. While it is there as a joke, it's partly true that Gesink crashes a lot in a GT. Deny it all you want, but the statistics during his GTs speak for itself. I'm not even one of the 14 that voted for VDB :)
What's the use of the poll if you only want to hear one answer? Don't be so childish and if someone thinks VDB will outclimb Gesink than he has every right to think just that. But of course you'll start gloating in July when the opposite happened and bring up old posts and make fun of them like you always do ;) Very mature of you. Bravo...

You really can't stand any form of criticism when it's about Gesink. You might be the best climber in the world, but when you have something happening to you over a course of 3 weeks no one will ever find out just how good you are(Soler, Igor Anton, Cuddles, and to a lesser extent also Gesink)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
And where did I belittle Gesink here? :)

(Soler, Igor Anton, Cuddles, and to a lesser extent also Gesink)

And I quote my self again.

I'm not over exaggerating. Trust me, I know it isn't as bad as Anton and Soler. That's why I said to a lesser extent.

It's my opinion about Gesink. I find him more unreliable then for example a VDB who hasn't had much bad luck in GTs so far(Tour 2009 was of course à la Cuddles)

If both come out of the Tour without any bad luck it's probably Gesink that will end up in front. But if I have to pick the one that's most likely to hit the deck during the Tour then it's most likely Gesink. I also think he's more prone to injuries than some other cyclists(or he really is extremely unlucky to break something everytime he hits the deck)

Menchov falls all the time yet doesn't seem to break anything. Ever.

I don't see how I'm belittling Gesink here :) Or any other Dutchies for that matter(except Lars Boom :p)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The topic is about who is better in the Tour: VDB or Gesink.

If you think that discussion is pointless and childish then why are you posting in this thread? Of the said subject? Besides, Tejay has nothing to do with this thread, anyway. Nobody is forcing you to post here in a thread about which one of the 2 is better.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Flamin said:
really? In AGR, he set an immense pace for like 10k, deep in the finale. Last year, he was only at the front for 1 or 2k (still very good he was there after 260k though).

Last year he was with phille at the cauberg, this year phille had to chase himself.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The only thing I'm different than you guys is that I don't see how the **** people think the likes of Nibali or worse, even Kreuziger, could possible be better than Gesink for instance.

Nibbles: Twice 3rd in the Giro + 1 vuelta
Gesink: 7th in Tour + 6th twice in Vuelta
==> Nibbles performs better
http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/cqRankingRider.asp?year=2010 This proves it :p

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
MisterX said:
This discussion is pointless and childish, from both sides.And besides Tejay will be better than both, anyway.

Yeah, it's kind of funny that your two only posts in the forum are both related to that childish discussion.

Profiling yourself as what exactly? :)