• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Match Up: Gesink v Van Den Broeck

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish higher in the Tour de France?

• TGBM!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be cheering all out for Gesink this Tour. I really think he can make the podium. Some of our Dutch members seem afraid to hope for fear of disappointment. I'm not Dutch so I don't have the same emotional investment.

He was already very competitive last year and this year he's improved his TT and should have a strong and dedicated team. He'll be great!

I like VDB2 as well but I'd rather see him win a race than beat Gesink on GC. It would actually be fun if he lost time and went back to being Van Dan Breakaway. I think he really wants to ride aggressively but he's just not as good as the people ahead of him and he's marked. It can't be very much fun for him.

El Pistolero said:
VDB is really only good in 2 races: Dauphine and Tour. So, I don't think it's fair to use date in other races as an argument for his form in the Tour.

You don't see anyone using Tour of Cali as an argument why Andy Schleck isn't a good climber. Andy and VDB are very similar as cyclists. Andy is just a way better climber on his peak of course.

That is the key sentence. All those Tour of Oman crap is nothing compared to races where Jurgen really goes for it, and when he is on his best he is better than Gesink, like it or not.

DenisMenchov said:
That is the key sentence. All those Tour of Oman crap is nothing compared to races where Jurgen really goes for it, and when he is on his best he is better than Gesink, like it or not.

I'd rather see a consistent performance throughout the year, but that's just me. Gesink does well in almost every race he enters. That makes him much more likable to a fan. I'd hate to see my favorite rider only popping up for one or two races a year.
Furthermore, you have never seen Gesink really peak, so that's a flawed statement. Jurgen is like Andy; a true peaker, if you will, whereas Gesink tries to peak at different points in the seasons. Thus, saying that Jurgen is better than Gesink on his best is not an accurate assessment. A better one would be "Jurgen works better to really peak for the Tour vis-á-vis Gesink''.

Anyway, I think Gesink is much more talented than Jurgen and this will be only his 2nd Tour. That sole fact testifies to how talented he is, he's getting better every year, and he's still only 24. Let's see what this year's Tour brings, I can't wait.

Spine Concept said:
I'd rather see a consistent performance throughout the year, but that's just me. Gesink does well in almost every race he enters. That makes him much more likable to a fan. I'd hate to see my favorite rider only popping up for one or two races a year.
Furthermore, you have never seen Gesink really peak, so that's a flawed statement. Jurgen is like Andy; a true peaker, if you will, whereas Gesink tries to peak at different points in the seasons. Thus, saying that Jurgen is better than Gesink on his best is not an accurate assessment. A better one would be "Jurgen works better to really peak for the Tour vis-á-vis Gesink''.

Anyway, I think Gesink is much more talented than Jurgen and this will be only his 2nd Tour. That sole fact testifies to how talented he is, he's getting better every year, and he's still only 24. Let's see what this year's Tour brings, I can't wait.

Bold 1: Well that is your opinion, I have a different one. I want to see my favorite rider to perform great rather than be constantly good.

Bold 2: I don`t understand why people in this forum constantly say that Gesink has only done one Tour de France, the fact is that he finished just one, but started two.

Yes Gesink is talented but so is Jurgen, you can`t deny that.

Gesink has achieved far more in a few years than VDB in what, 4 pro years more?

The only thing VDB2 ever has on him in his ENTIRE career is that he finished 1 place higher in last years tour. That's it :eek:

I'd be happier with 6th TDF and back-to-back wins in a historic race such as Emilia. Or a mountain stage in Suisse. Then have no pro win at all and a 5th place in the same TDF

But hey...that's just me

DenisMenchov said:
Bold 1: Well that is your opinion, I have a different one. I want to see my favorite rider to perform great rather than be constantly good.

Bold 2: I don`t understand why people in this forum constantly say that Gesink has only done one Tour de France, the fact is that he finished just one, but started two.

Yes Gesink is talented but so is Jurgen, you can`t deny that.

1. Notice the ''that's just me'' part of the first sentence. It was never my intention to force my opinion on you but to illustrate my view on things. Clear this up for me will you? 5th in the Tour is great but 6th is not? Your credibility is slipping by the post.

2. How conveniently perceptive of you, however, he had to drop out after like stage 5 of his first Tour if I'm not mistaken. That's way before any mountain stages, thus it doesn't really count now does it?

Last but not least, I never said Jurgen wasn't talented so don't put words in my mouth or be presumptuous. I just stated that in my opinion Gesink is MORE talented than him. Am I allowed to have that opinion? :rolleyes: A little reading comprehension goes a long way my friend.

Spine Concept said:
1. Notice that ''that's just me'' part of the first sentence. It was never my intention to force my opinion on you but to illustrate my view on things.

2. How conveniently perceptive of you, however, he had to drop out after like stage 5 if I'm not mistaken. That's way before any mountain stages, thus it doesn't really count now does it?

His wrist was broken after a fall. Before the mountain stages indeed.
Else he had 2 top 10s in the TdF.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

The only thing VDB2 ever has on him in his ENTIRE career is that he finished 1 place higher in last years tour. That's it :eek:

I'd be happier with 6th TDF and back-to-back wins in a historic race such as Emilia. Or a mountain stage in Suisse. Then have no pro win at all and a 5th place in the same TDF

But hey...that's just me

Quoted for truth ;)

I think JVDB will win D-L. He will want to show up with a bang onto the pro scene. That way he can be considered a serious GT threat. I think last yr it was his 1st as leader. This yr his team has been united behind Gilbert and Greipel now it's his chance to shine. While De Clercq won in the Giro and Roelandts tried JVDB has been peaking for the only race he peaks for. This yr he has gained 2nd yr experience of being a leader.

Worries are he shall burn himself out by last few stages and his team shall be too tired to help. ( big worries so i went for gesink ) I think he does have more room to improve and will this yr have a fully devoted team with no Oscar trying to get stage wins.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

But hey...that's just me

I had never ever underestimated Gesink`s results nor his talent, but it seems like everyone who supports Gesink underestimates JVDB.

Also that one place makes a lot of difference, ask Andy S :D

DenisMenchov said:
I had never ever underestimated Gesink`s results nor his talent, but it seems like everyone who supports Gesink underestimates JVDB.

Also that one place makes a lot of difference, ask Andy S :D

Nobody is underestimating Jurgen, you just can't take it that people fancy Gesink more than the aforementioned. We have a different opinion than you, deal with it.

Finally, how conveniently foolish of you to compare the difference between 1st and 2nd with 5th and 6th. If that's your only argument than it is obvious that you're grasping at straws here. Give it a rest.

DenisMenchov said:
The issue with JVDB is results.

greenedge said:
I think JVDB will win D-L. He will want to show up with a bang onto the pro scene. That way he can be considered a serious GT threat.
Again, based on which recent results?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Winning Dauphine could be possible(I'm not saying he'll win it mind you) although the time trial will end all hopes for that. With no Valverde and Contador he'll be one of the best climbers there if he's in decent shape. Don't underestimate his climbing. And each year he's been doing better, so there's a steady growth with him.

He was imo the 3rd best climber last year at the Dauphine. Take out Contador and only Brajkovic is left(yes not a GT climber yet, but in a period of a week he can climb duh)

It's not that stupid to suggest VDB can ride a (very) good Dauphine.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Last year in the Dauphine Vandenbroeck was unimpressive even if he finished 5th, he was worse than Van Garderen, Coppel etc...

So why would he win now? He's only really good in july anyway

He was fourth. Outclimbed Tejay every time. Coppel finished behind him...

It's not like Gesink will ever outclimb Contador ;)

El Pistolero said:
Winning Dauphine could be possible(I'm not saying he'll win it mind you) although the time trial will end all hopes for that. With no Valverde and Contador he'll be one of the best climbers there if he's in decent shape. Don't underestimate his climbing. And each year he's been doing better, so there's a steady growth with him.

He was imo the 3rd best climber last year at the Dauphine. Take out Contador and only Brajkovic is left(yes not a GT climber yet, but in a period of a week he can climb duh)

It's not that stupid to suggest VDB can ride a (very) good Dauphine.

Who exaclty questioned his ability to ride a very good Dauphine? I think he will be one of the best at the Dauphine no doubt. He's always good around that time, thus it would be a surprise to many if he didn't ride a great Dauphine.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
If we're talking about the Dauphiné: he already outclimbed Contador multiple times in 2009.

Contador in 2009 wasn't trying at the Dauphiné, he very much was trying in 2010. Besides he still finished in front of Gesink in 2009 while taking a nice little nap on his bike. But I guess Jrod outclimbed Contador on Sestriere :rolleyes:

El Pistolero said:
He was fourth. Outclimbed Tejay every time. Coppel finished behind him...

It's not like Gesink will ever outclimb Contador ;)

Again, who ever said Gesink will outclimb Contador? He is comparing Jurgen to TJVG and you turn and make a comparison between Gesink and the best stage racer on the planet? :rolleyes:

I bet you have nightmares about Gesink outclimbing Contador.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
Again, who ever said Gesink will outclimb Contador? He is comparing Jurgen to TJVG and you turn and make a comparison between Gesink and the best stage racer on the planet? :rolleyes:

Again, read Dekker's post.

He said VDB was unimpressive at Dauphiné last year. He was the third best climber behind a certain Alberto Contador.

Can't you guys make connections on your own?

I fail to see how being the third best climber in a race behind a Contador is unimpressive. You know, since Contador is 50 times the cyclist Gesink is.

Yes, I have nightmares about Gesink outclimbing Contador. At the Giro, it was Scarponi who I was afraid of right? :rolleyes: