• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour Match Up: Gesink v Van Den Broeck

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will finish higher in the Tour de France?

• TGBM!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
aside from the bruises and scrapes, the main problem was his back..

I hope that improves and that he can limit his losses saturday to less then a minute..

Gesink seems ok. He has yet to lose a second after his crash. Ive been accused of being dramatic with dismissing my guy when he lost real time so i think some of the posters on this thread deserve a similar title. The mountains are still a long way away. Even if he loses big time tomorow hell still be a lot better off than many others.

Come back to me when he is 2 minutes 30 down on his rivals.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Gesink seems ok. He has yet to lose a second after his crash. Ive been accused of being dramatic with dismissing my guy when he lost real time so i think some of the posters on this thread deserve a similar title. The mountains are still a long way away. Even if he loses big time tomorow hell still be a lot better off than many others.

an injury is different to time loss tho. don't be ignorant.
An injury can dash hope of a comeback really, rather it has a hold on-limit your loss feeling.

True he does have still some time until the mountains, but the stages have been painful and energy zapping. Generally at the tour you gotta be at your best to compete.

However, I myself haven't lost all hope yet, and prefer a optimistic approach to this. OFC I will probably be more dissapointed when he fails, but so be it.

Today will be a fair indication of where he is at.

anyway at this point, a lot of users are making conclusions form the info we've gotten. Gesink seems ok on the bike but has been saying things like he is really struggling and his team is the only reason he lost no time etc.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
an injury is different to time loss tho. don't be ignorant.
An injury can dash hope of a comeback really, rather it has a hold on-limit your loss feeling.

True he does have still some time until the mountains, but the stages have been painful and energy zapping. Generally at the tour you gotta be at your best to compete.

However, I myself haven't lost all hope yet, and prefer a optimistic approach to this. OFC I will probably be more dissapointed when he fails, but so be it.

Today will be a fair indication of where he is at.

anyway at this point, a lot of users are making conclusions form the info we've gotten. Gesink seems ok on the bike but has been saying things like he is really struggling and his team is the only reason he lost no time etc.

Gesink's performance will depend on the other teams. If they ride aggresively all day and ride a hard tempo on the final climb then he could be in trouble. If it is a more passive day then he may only have a small loss. it is going to be hard for him. gesink's a tough cookie so he may be alright. remember vuelta 2009?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I remember vuelta 09. He was super tough.
But eventually it was too much for him. I know he wont give up, but his body might. Of course his injuries are not as severe as that occasion but we shall see.

I do think it will be an aggressive fast day tho.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
@Dennismoron

yeh, JVDB is gonna win this battle because he is so much better.

The Hitch said:

today is why Gesink's situation is worse then samu's ;)

DenisMenchov said:
I don t know why I am a moron when Jurgen beats Gesink, as I predicted.

I'm not going to start calling you names...yet. However, you seem to overlook Gesink's hard crash a couple of days a go way too easily in order to satisfy your need to be regarded as a modern-day prophet. Get a clue. No one in here, including Gesink himself said he would be good today, in fact, he stated quite the opposite; he hoped he could limit his losses.

------------------------------------------------------

Regarding today's stage, I expected Gesink to lose time today, but over a minute seems like a bit too much. I do not know how much he can recover before they hit the real mountains. He really needs to weigh his options here, it's not too late to go for the Vuelta. I just want him to have a good GT this year, which one does not really matter.

Spine Concept said:
I'm not going to start calling you names...yet. However, you seem to overlook Gesink's hard crash a couple of days a go way too easily in order to satisfy your need to be regarded as a modern-day prophet. Get a clue. No one in here, including Gesink himself said he would be good today, in fact, he stated quite the opposite; he hoped he could limit his losses.

I am not saying I m a prophet, I just said back in May that Gesink will finish behind VDB and not on podium.

DenisMenchov said:
I am not saying I m a prophet, I just said back in May that Gesink will finish behind VDB and not on podium.

Well your gloating does not exactly reflect the innocent boy you are trying to play now. By the look of things VDB2 will indeed finish in front of Gesink this year, however it would have hardly been a fair fight now would it? Again I say, get a clue. I have no problem with you being a VDB2 fanboy, however, you need to consider the facts before making self-righteous comments.

Spine Concept said:
Well your gloating does not exactly reflect the innocent boy you are trying to play now. By the look of things VDB2 will indeed finish in front of Gesink this year, however it would have hardly been a fair fight now would it? Again I say, get a clue. I have no problem with you being a VDB2 fanboy, however, you need to consider the facts before making self-righteous comments.

To be honest I m not happy Gesink is injured, but I m glad I was right.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
This poll was always "excluding falls"

Now nothing sensefull can be said about this. I'd like to see an injured Vandenbroeck against a fit Gesink, that would be a fair matchup right? :rolleyes:

Idiots.

Vandenbroeck is an AWESOME rider like it or not, he is always upfront in the first row, wind in his face, even pulling on for Gillbert, and that s why he is not injured. He is not hiding in the peloton like Gesink.

DenisMenchov said:
Well if you read my post, I said "Gesink has trouble staying upright".

Well then your post was an ignorant one from the get-go. It has to be a fair match up to know who really is the best. Not relying on a crash to vindicate your claim. That says a lot about Gesink though, you are scared of him if he remains fit.

DenisMenchov said:
Vandenbroeck is an AWESOME rider like it or not, he is always upfront in the first row, wind in his face, even pulling on for Gillbert, and that s why he is not injured. He is not hiding in the peloton like Gesink.

He's done good, I won't deny it. However, luck always plays a part. He could crash at any given moment, someone in front of him can crash if he is riding behind someone for a split second.

DenisMenchov said:
Look the poll question is very clear Who will finish higher in the Tour de France?
so I said who I think will finish higher and why.

That is hardly the point now is it? You came in here gloating that you were right like some clairvoyant, that's what I was adressing, don't play dumb with me. It is not exactly an amazing prediction that Gesink might take a tumble in a GT with his record.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
This poll was always "excluding falls"

Now nothing sensefull can be said about this. I'd like to see an injured Vandenbroeck against a fit Gesink, that would be a fair matchup right? :rolleyes:

Idiots.

this.

their idea of this thread holds no value anymore.

I mean gesink could be 60th place on stage 19 and then vdb crashes out in itt and alas we were right :rolleyes:

it sucks for gesink, I am intrigued on his approach now.