• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Britain - 11th to 18th September - Race Thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

salixcycling said:
Apologies for the OT - I'm a senior member?? :eek: I'm sure it's somewhere deep down in the rules or FAQ but is this simply a result of post counts?

The joys of a non-specific tour of britain thread i reckon a bit of diversion between stages is ok :D

A

Anonymous

luckyboy said:
Been pretty windy everywhere for the past few days.

Been too windy to even ride up here for the last three days. the wind is blowing towards the sea, and 90% of my rides are seaward and back. Its the coming back uphill into a headwind has been an issue. damn westerly winds.

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
The wind on the Norfolk (and Lincolnshire) coast is very variable. Although it suggests it will be mostly tial winds, wind directions change in a second in that part of the world. Can't see any major splits except along the N.Norfolk coast or in the run in into Great Yarmouth. Small rolling hills from the coast to Norwich should ease the wind a little at ground level.

Sky and Vaconsoleil should stirke up a deal to hammer it from the start and put pressure on the 4 man HTC team.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Cameron Meyer and Marycz!? are up the road with a lead of 5 minutes or so, SKY and a couple of HTC riders chasing and reducing the gap according to twitter.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Sky burned all their matches in the chance and had no train for Henderson?

Suppose they probably had to. Columbia had no real need to pull (I have no actual idea what happened today, and who did and didn't work) as they are only really concerned with protecting the GC i guess?

skys only chance of getting something out of the stage was to take a punt with a bunch sprint - 4 riders can only pull on the front for so long!

Andy99 said:
Suppose they probably had to. Columbia had no real need to pull (I have no actual idea what happened today, and who did and didn't work) as they are only really concerned with protecting the GC i guess?

skys only chance of getting something out of the stage was to take a punt with a bunch sprint - 4 riders can only pull on the front for so long!

The glory of racing with small teams, does anyone think that it's probably one of the reasons we have seen aggressive racing?

There is a chance that they will look at their performances in the grand tours and realise that they have to make a choice about how to perform. One route would be to take Cav into the fold and do it cleanly.

They would have to work out how to do a lead out first though, can't see Cav being tempted based on their lead outs this year.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
The glory of racing with small teams, does anyone think that it's probably one reasons we have seen aggressive racing?

Definitely. Everyone in the race knows that no one dominant team can sit on the front all day and dictate things. It's great:)

Ferminal said:
If they were concerned about their sprinting they would have signed Greipel.

Try explaining THAT move to the British press.

From a results perspective, then Greipel would have been a brilliant acquisition. From a PR perspective, trying to sell GB on cycling, having the sworn enemy of the most recognisable British road cyclist would have been suicide.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
If they were concerned about their sprinting they would have signed Greipel.

That would have been the perfect answer on Cav's intention to stay with HTC. :D

But, while SKY is cleaner than clean :rolleyes: , they would have a problem when signing Omerta-Greipel

A

Anonymous

Andy99 said:

i think sky's tactic was push push push and hope somewhere along the way columbia fell off the back, winds or some such thing.

TeamSkyFans said:
i think sky's tactic was push push push and hope somewhere along the way columbia fell off the back, winds or some such thing.

That isn't a tactic that would work in an F grade race.

To be fair to Sky though, they do have a non-cyclist as DS for this race so they will be tactically wanting until he is up to speed.

Greipel won 4 stages in the Vuelta last year, Cavendish has "only" 3 so far.

Edit: this is not meant as a comparison between the two, but rather to show that Greipel from his performances could be the biggest competition to Cavendish, but alas being on the same team it isn't to be

TRENDING THREADS