• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Britain - 11th to 18th September - Race Thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

I think you have the riders to thank for that. No idea whats got into them all but this constant attacking makes great racing.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Zanini also won the Amstel Gold Race, so you might have a slightly misguided concept of him.

More importantly, Zanini never won the Tour of Britain. Stop looking up races in Wikipedia, misreading the results and using them anyway to support your ill-conceived points.

The guy is a sprinter and lead out man. Yes he won Amstel Gold but friere goes well in AGR and he is a sprinter. Zanini actually won on the Champs Elysees in 2000 so the guy would have to be a sprinter to win on there.

TSF, I will admit this edition has been better than the tdu, but time of year does makes a difference. The Tdu in the last 4 editions always attracts big riders. but because of the time of the year, the difficult conditions due to heat (40oC >) and geographically the tdu can't put in the tougher stages.

Only just caught up. Another day of peloton carnage. Riders everywhere.
The cream is rising to the top and it appears to be Dutch!
Once again, Vacansoleil show why they should be first on anybody's wildcard list. Pro cycling's dynamite!
Great to see both Johnny Hoogerland and Richie Porte in classment jerseys.

Edit: JH and Dan Martin off up the road again, today.
Tony Martin has climbed off.

auscyclefan94 said:
The guy is a sprinter and lead out man. Yes he won Amstel Gold but friere goes well in AGR and he is a sprinter. Zanini actually won on the Champs Elysees in 2000 so the guy would have to be a sprinter to win on there.

TSF, I will admit this edition has been better than the tdu, but time of year does makes a difference. The Tdu in the last 4 editions always attracts big riders. but because of the time of the year, the difficult conditions due to heat (40oC >) and geographically the tdu can't put in the tougher stages.
So if Bettini had been slightly faster (only slightly faster, mind you) and decided to contend bunch sprints, that would suddenly make him just a sprinter and not a strong classics rider? How did Freire win the 1999 WC again? Or any other WC for that matter, although he won the other two in small(ish) group finishes without any pure sprinters (except for Zabel, who was a similar kind of rider).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Only just caught up. Another day of peloton carnage. Riders everywhere.
The cream is rising to the top and it appears to be Dutch!
Once again, Vacansoleil show why they should be first on anybody's wildcard list. Pro cycling's dynamite!
Great to see both Johnny Hoogerland and Richie Porte in classment jerseys.

Edit: JH and Dan Martin off up the road again, today.
Tony Martin has climbed off.

What is Dan Martin eating for breakfast? He looks like Danilo Di Luca did last year, he is just attacking every single day. Watch out for him at Lombardia.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Alexander Vinokourov won on the Champs-Elysées in 2005, are we to contend that he is a sprinter too?
now your just being plain stupid.
hrotha said:
So if Bettini had been slightly faster (only slightly faster, mind you) and decided to contend bunch sprints, that would suddenly make him just a sprinter and not a strong classics rider? How did Freire win the 1999 WC again? Or any other WC for that matter, although he won the other two in small(ish) group finishes without any pure sprinters (except for Zabel, who was a similar kind of rider).
:confused:
I don't see the relevance of your point at all.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Problem: boredom

Solution: Vacansoleil. See also ISD-NERI.

One thing the ToB organisers get consistently right is the teams they invite to the race. The smaller Dutch and Italian squads are always good value.

auscyclefan94 said:
now your just being plain stupid.

:confused:
I don't see the relevance of your point at all.
You don't? Let me dumb it down then:
1- You claimed this is a sprinters race. You supported this by saying Zanini won it (even though he didn't)
2- I claimed Zanini, while being a sprinter, was also a strong classics rider who won Amstel Gold Race (and also the Volta a Portugal, by the way EXCEPT APPARENTLY HE DIDN'T -edited). Look at this bunch sprint (not shown in the picture: Gewiss's, ah, performance-enhancing thingies)
3- I compared him to Bettini and Freire to help you understand.

So I don't see what part is hard to follow.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
You don't? Let me dumb it down then:
1- You claimed this is a sprinters race. You supported this by saying Zanini won it (even though he didn't)
2- I claimed Zanini, while being a sprinter, was also a strong classics rider who won Amstel Gold Race (and also the Volta a Portugal, by the way). Look at this bunch sprint (not shown in the picture: Gewiss's, ah, performance-enhancing thingies)
3- I compared him to Bettini and Freire to help you understand.

So I don't see what part is hard to follow.

1,2- Zanini is a sprinter, friere goes well in amstel gold. I admit my source was bad with the ToB result

Ok I admit that ToB this year owns any edition of Tdu but you still fail to recognise that Tdu can not put in the tougher route because of the date, weather and many other factors.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I already responded to the Freire bit in a previous post.

My mistake. I saw it mentioned in two different sources so I assumed it was legit.
I guess we all make mistakes like that:rolleyes:
Libertine Seguros said:
Freire has won Tirreno-Adriatico. Is that a sprinters' race?
The edition he won certainly was!

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Not sure where Hoogerland is.

In break - B Wiggins (SKY) L S Haedo (SAX) D Martin (GRM) I Camano (EDR) M Frapporti (COG) P Ghyllebert (SKT) H Haussler (CTT) M Golas (VAC) with 4.30 at the moment.

theyoungest said:
Meanwhile, over in Britain, there's a race going on, and I don't really understand the race situation... 8 riders in front, but what about Hoogie? Vanished into thin air?

Yes, this "debate" is actually trolling and ruining the continuity of the thread.
Johhny H must be back in the pack.
No way they could allow him to get over 4 minutes up the road.

TRENDING THREADS