• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of California, Stage 7: Claremont - Mt. Baldy, 121.9 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
issoisso said:
*Mandatory post disparaging the quality of the race*

Seriously, isso, no need for that. The race is good. No problems with the race. If Tahoe had occurred, this would have been absolutely beautiful.

My only complaints with the race have to do with RadioShack and Leopard.

RS targets this race because, other than Horner, they're inept at the other race. Spare me the Leipheimer stuff. He's a doped-up donkey.

Leopard rode this like punks. Fuglsang and Schleck should have been up there. They're not treating this seriously, so f*ck them.

My problem is not with the race, but with some of the riders.

Chapeau to Sutherland and a lot of the continental riders who worked their a$$es off.

RadioShack can eat a big fat D.

The Hitch said:
I have to say, i loved the thousands of people who would run alongside the riders 90% of them in costumes or with some sort of flag.

Thats dedication.

At several points there was like 25 of them swarming Levi and Horner.

I ended up not watching Eurosport's coverage tonight, but I can imagine Carlton Kirby having a heart attack at the sight of all those costumes.

I thought many were cool, but equally many seemed to be more interested in being on TV than anything else. At least there were no incidents.

Congrats to Chris Horner on a great ToC. He locked up a well deserved win today.

As for Radioshack, yes, how dare a US based team target the top US stage race for victory. That's just crazy! :rolleyes: They take the race seriously. I wish more teams would. There are plenty of excellent riders targeting the TdF who skip the Giro and the ToC is becoming a very good race.

Of course it's no ways near the Grand Tour level. That's to be expected. It's a good race though.

Garmin had eight leaders but none who can match the mighty SHACK. Was a bit shocked to see Levi on the front, putting in his application for Chief Bottle in July.

Tommy D is very close to winning a GT (not really, but please pick him for the Tour!).

And LTD ftw!

Strong crowds too which was good to see.

Ferminal said:
Garmin had eight leaders but none who can match the mighty SHACK. Was a bit shocked to see Levi on the front, putting in his application for Chief Bottle in July.

Tommy D is very close to winning a GT (not really, but please pick him for the Tour!).

And LTD ftw!

Strong crowds too which was good to see.

I have no respect for any team run by Johan Bruyneel, but I do respect the spectacular performance put in by Busche today.

Horner was likewise excellent. Chapeau.

If Busche doesn't make the Tour team, then Bruyneel can deep-throat a pine tree.

Yes, agree...many chapeau to the conti and pro conti's who rode their hearts out. This is the biggest race of the year for them and they showed it great respect. Glad to see the crowds and support.

Except for some bad weather and bad luck, which can happen in any race, the stages were pretty amazing, very hard and a real show of different terrain. I appreciated that.

Kudos to Busche and LTD today and several others...oh, btw I thought Oscar F also took it seriously and showed his courage.

Congrats Horner!
Levi today just looked weird.

StyrbjornSterki said:
I don't recall ever before seeing two bald men finish 1-2 on an HC mountaintop finish. Maybe they were inspired by the name of the mountain?

How great would it have been if they both took off there helmets as they crossed the finish line, pointing to their bald heads! They certainly had plenty of time. Could have written with a Sharpie the words "Radio" on Levi's dome and "Shack" on Chris' noggin.

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
I don't recall ever before seeing two bald men finish 1-2 on an HC mountaintop finish. Maybe they were inspired by the name of the mountain?

gotta say that is pretty funny

mewmewmew13 said:
Yes, agree...many chapeau to the conti and pro conti's who rode their hearts out. This is the biggest race of the year for them and they showed it great respect. Glad to see the crowds and support.

Except for some bad weather and bad luck, which can happen in any race, the stages were pretty amazing, very hard and a real show of different terrain. I appreciated that.

Kudos to Busche and LTD today and several others...oh, btw I thought Oscar F also took it seriously and showed his courage.

Congrats Horner!
Levi today just looked weird.

yep. people have their opinions about the toc. mine is that while it is not the 4th gt, or even close, it is the best stage race we got in north america, and the americans show up to race. despite the weather problems and calendar change, it seems like it is getting better, and i hope it will be around for many more editions. i wish they could bring back the san francisco grand prix. watching pros do 10 laps up taylor street was pretty cool

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Good ride by morabito to get himself in the top 10. But just wasnt good enough on the previous TT and MTF. I really didnt know that brent bookwalter could climb unlucky for him that he had that crash. Phinney dissapointing in the TT.

Nice riding by Radioshack. If they ride like this in the TDF ( with Busche at the head of the domestiques jks he's too inexperienced) they can just take Contador out on the flats. Today it was like watching a snake sloughing it's skin off but leaving damage behind. First King ripped everyone, then Murayev, then JM, then the the big M. Bush himself. Must be something with the name Bush from your country. Replacing the snake sloughing skin off i shall say it's like an Indian American scalping off a head instead, they were just that good. Andy big disappointment and poor Rory. Laurens Tens Dam is going well this yr. With him, LLS, Mollema, Slagter, Tankink Gesink should go great in TDF.

Caruso was a surprise, however. Garmin's attack was all hyped up but not one of them had the legs. It fizzled, popped, tore asunder etc. RS are the dominant team here like in most other short 1 week races, which is a pity, because i want competition.

Bavarianrider said:
Such a beautiful race. I wish they would turn this into a 2 week race at least.
Why not run it against the Vuelta in Spetember? Vuelta is dead meat anyway.

I agree. Maybe make an uphill time trial/ the sprinters challenge if it goes well. They need to get this race however out of the niche that it's good training.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I was reminded of Mapei last night......:(

California has some beautiful scenery and obviously the ability to find roads from awesome stages. It has the potential to be a brilliant one week race but needs to stop pandering to one team. Long TT and a reasonably steady rate MTF, tailor made for what we saw last night.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
+1. Thanks for saying it.

I just get a little sick of the bashing of this race. A lot of people are especially nasty towards it because the race organsisers and commentators fuss over Lance and JB a lot so people hate the race.

I have really enjoyed watching it most mornings while eating breakfast.

Again, a strong ride by Morabito for 5th. Steve had to continually jump around dropped riders because he was quite far back when the race was splitting. dwlsonnic, bookwalter did quite well in the tt and on baldy considering the crash he had. He rode strongly on Mt Baldy. Mt baldy is not Morabito's climb so though he didn't have a great day anyway, his tt wasn't that bad for a guy like him.

auscyclefan94 said:
I just get a little sick of the bashing of this race. A lot of people are especially nasty towards it because the race organsisers and commentators fuss over Lance and JB a lot so people hate the race.

I have really enjoyed watching it most mornings while eating breakfast.

Again, a strong ride by Morabito for 5th. Steve had to continually jump around dropped riders because he was quite far back when the race was splitting.

I don't think it's Lance and JB that do it for me, it's the hype express. The "fourth Grand Tour" stuff, the "most prestigious one week race" stuff (and yes, people like Bavarianrider saying the Vuelta is on its death bed and Cali should be lengthened to take its place as if Bavarianrider didn't see that the fans were out in force for the 2010 Vuelta).

If you strip away the bulls*** promising things they haven't got a hope in hell of delivering, what you get is a pretty decent, well organised one-week race. And though many criticisms could be fired at the route of last year's race (far too many straight roads through dull countryside - very much like "those" Vuelta stages - and a ton of climbing to make it hard but none conducive to breaking the race apart) it feels like most of those criticisms have been listened to and corrected. Apart from the farce that was the first stage with the snow and the elevation and the cancellation, the course has been pretty good, and the racing has been better as a result.

Is it a fourth Grand Tour? No.

Is it one of the most prestigious one-week races? Not yet.

Should it be lengthened? Not yet.

Is it going to take the place of the Vuelta? No.

Is it a very professional, well-run and enjoyable race at the .HC level? Yes, very much so. Could be the second best 2.HC race of the year (after the always-entertaining Burgos) - but probably the 1st most important one.

The race shouldn't be lengthened or moved in the calendar now. Maybe in a few years time, but right now they still need a new title sponsor, and we should consolidate what we have got, which is a bona fide top level race in North America. One week is good because it's not tough enough to discourage those who may have other targets from coming, it's not tough enough to mean that the domestic pros have no chance, but it IS tough enough for good racing to take place and riders to get separation and break things up.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
I don't think it's Lance and JB that do it for me, it's the hype express. The "fourth Grand Tour" stuff, the "most prestigious one week race" stuff (and yes, people like Bavarianrider saying the Vuelta is on its death bed and Cali should be lengthened to take its place as if Bavarianrider didn't see that the fans were out in force for the 2010 Vuelta).

If you strip away the bulls*** promising things they haven't got a hope in hell of delivering, what you get is a pretty decent, well organised one-week race. And though many criticisms could be fired at the route of last year's race (far too many straight roads through dull countryside - very much like "those" Vuelta stages - and a ton of climbing to make it hard but none conducive to breaking the race apart) it feels like most of those criticisms have been listened to and corrected. Apart from the farce that was the first stage with the snow and the elevation and the cancellation, the course has been pretty good, and the racing has been better as a result.

Is it a fourth Grand Tour? No.

Is it one of the most prestigious one-week races? Not yet.

Should it be lengthened? Not yet.

Is it going to take the place of the Vuelta? No.

Is it a very professional, well-run and enjoyable race at the .HC level? Yes, very much so. Could be the second best 2.HC race of the year (after the always-entertaining Burgos) - but probably the 1st most important one.

The race shouldn't be lengthened or moved in the calendar now. Maybe in a few years time, but right now they still need a new title sponsor, and we should consolidate what we have got, which is a bona fide top level race in North America. One week is good because it's not tough enough to discourage those who may have other targets from coming, it's not tough enough to mean that the domestic pros have no chance, but it IS tough enough for good racing to take place and riders to get separation and break things up.

Getting a new title sponsor shouldnt be a problem. Even if they don't get one Anschutz will just fund it with his own money, just like he did with Major League Soccer. The guy is the honey badger when it comes to throwing his own money at something to ensure it endures.

Yeahright

BANNED
Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I bet Leecheimer tries to stab Horner in the back. That is, if he can get in a good shot before Horner drops him like a bad habit.

Why do people write nasty stuff like this? Obviously the day proved you totally and embarrassingly wrong but there is no reason to post such stuff in the first place.