• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Denmark 2021 (10th to 14th of August)

The Tour of Denmark (PostNord Danmark Rundt) will take place on the 10th to the 14th of August 2021. It will be shown on Danish national TV (DR 1), including livestream.

Last year the stage race was (a bit controversially) cancelled, but now it's back and in fact with one of the strongest line-ups in the recent history of the race:

The first two stages are less hilly than in the average Tour of Denmark. Then we have the more challenging 3rd stage with the finish line in Vejle and several steep climbs within the final 50 kilometers. The 4th stage finishes in Kalundborg where there are climbs of almost the same difficulty as those in Vejle. The 5th and final stage is a flat TT in Copenhagen.

I believe the deciding factors in terms of the GC will be the 3rd and 5th stage, while stage 4 also looks interesting.

But I'll be looking forward to stage 2 as well, because it has a great uphill finishing stretch to the historic Dybbøl Mølle. Watch the spectacular last kilometers of stage 2 with the Dybbøl Mølle finish from the 2016 edition of the Tour of Denmark here:

View: https://youtu.be/UkvzIhSaukA

Last edited:
Overall map:

PostNordDanmarkRundt_images_etaperne_full-2048x1024.jpg

Evenepoel to nuke it on Østengård.

I'd like to see a Vejle stage with attacks from far out.

Could be refreshing, and if one should do that kind of very long distance attack it would be him.

However since the organizers changed the Queen Stage to include the Østengaard and Chr.Winthersvej/Gl.Kongevej hills, the peleton have indeed been extremely reluctant for doing anything before the final 3½ rounds, which always proves to hurt the field with enormous time differences for those of the favorites riding a bit too long á bloc. So big dissapointment watching the peleton just cruising wide front over the likes of Blue Hors, Tørskind Grusgrav, Fandensdal, Østengaard, Gl.Kongevej, Ny Hørup Hill, attack after Hopballe and so on. Each hill/passage which would do a show in any world tour race, if they were just use for their purpose.
It's difficult to arrange a route with a finale with Østengaard, Gl.Kongevej/Chr. Winthersvej much closer to the final without making very unpopular barrages of the central transport system in the center of Vejle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Velolover2
Could be refreshing, and if one should do that kind of very long distance attack it would be him.

However since the organizers changed the Queen Stage to include the Østengaard and Chr.Winthersvej/Gl.Kongevej hills, the peleton have indeed been extremely reluctant for doing anything before the final 3½ rounds, which always proves to hurt the field with enormous time differences for those of the favorites riding a bit too long á bloc. So big dissapointment watching the peleton just cruising wide front over the likes of Blue Hors, Tørskind Grusgrav, Fandensdal, Østengaard, Gl.Kongevej, Ny Hørup Hill, attack after Hopballe and so on. Each hill/passage which would do a show in any world tour race, if they were just use for their purpose.
It's difficult to arrange a route with a finale with Østengaard, Gl.Kongevej/Chr. Winthersvej much closer to the final without making very unpopular barrages of the central transport system in the center of Vejle.

You could make a decent stage with plenty of outcomes if they skipped the Kiddesvej circuit, just for once. An alternative finish could be the Roms Hule leading up to the Vejle Stadium and the track and field area. There are plenty of room for spectators and parking spots for the teams. In theory, it's a much better place for hosting a finish than Kiddesvej.

roms-hule.png

Fairly easy uphill drag up to the finish line outside the Track and Field stadium.

Route:

Sk-rmbillede-2021-08-07-kl-15-35-10.png

Indeed.
I've had the dream of a Gl.Kongevej/Chr.winthersvej finish for three decades right since climbing it for the first time, but always thought the organizers' reluctance was due to the dense residental area. But actually they could continue right uphill Jellingvej for a finush line just after the summit of Chr.Winthersvej, since near the top of Jellingvej theres feasibility for finish line logistics. In fact to my memory a finish at that location has been tried before, in another race in the Danish A-class, just without Chr.Winthersvej (anyone?).
If the organizors were really mean, they could do a finale of 4xChr.Winthersvej as a tiny loop, i.e. right downhill Jellingvej just after the summit, but that may be causing havoc holding track on riders at same number of laps.

Last edited:
Indeed.
I've had the dream of a Gl.Kongevej/Chr.winthersvej finish for three decades right since climbing it for the first time, but always thought the organizers' reluctance was due to the dense residental area. But actually they could continue right uphill Jellingvej for a finush line just after the summit of Chr.Winthersvej, since near the top of Jellingvej theres feasibility for finish line logistics. In fact to my memory a finish at that location has been tried before, in another race in the Danish A-class, just without Chr.Winthersvej (anyone?).
If the organizors were really mean, they could do a finale of 4xChr.Winthersvej as a tiny loop, i.e. right downhill Jellingvej just after the summit, but that may be causing havoc holding track on riders at same number of laps.

We are speaking the same language. Finish line can be placed on Jellingvej in front of the Uno X and Rema 1000. The last 200 m are uphill on a wide road (Jellingvej) and there are some good parking spaces in that area. Flamme rouge will be placed at the top of Chr. Winthersvej.

Sk-rmbillede-2021-08-07-kl-22-32-50.png

It's a short, technical loop with a lot of downhill parts. The downhill sector of Lundevej leading up to the last uphill 200 m might be a problem unless they arrive in very small groups. You can't have 10 riders descending into the last corner.

We are speaking the same language. Finish line can be placed on Jellingvej in front of the Uno X and Rema 1000. The last 200 m are uphill on a wide road (Jellingvej) and there are some good parking spaces in that area. Flamme rouge will be placed at the top of Chr. Winthersvej.

Sk-rmbillede-2021-08-07-kl-22-32-50.png

It's a short, technical loop with a lot of downhill parts. The downhill sector of Lundevej leading up to the last uphill 200 m might be a problem unless they arrive in very small groups. You can't have 10 riders descending into the last corner.

Yes, we're definately on the same channel :)
Remember trying draw lines for a possible route in Urhøj with a pencil at psysical road maps when I for half a decade lived in Kolding in late 90ies and this exactly route, to of which you sketch! Took a bike trip to Vejle and tried riding it full gas and realized the inconvenience for a professional field.
However, then diretly afterwards, I took a round trip down in Grejsdalen after Urhøj, downhill Bøgeagervej, but that made the loop almost 10k in lenght, which might be a bit too much for making a finale roundtrip spectator friendly.

But how about downhill Frederikshøjvej?
RWG-Urhoj-Grejsdalen-Frederiksh-jvej.png

Same finish line as you have suggested (and the finish line of wich I think more bike races already have used years ago).

6.8k with possibilities for downhill attacks.
And moreover, you have to close down a smaller part of Vejle, compared to the present final circuit.

Remember trying draw lines for a possible route in Urhøj with a pencil at psysical road maps when I for half a decade lived in Kolding in late 90ies and this exactly route, to of which you sketch! Took a bike trip to Vejle and tried riding it full gas and realized the inconvenience for a professional field.
However, then diretly afterwards, I took a round trip down in Grejsdalen after Urhøj, downhill Bøgeagervej, but that made the loop almost 10k in lenght, which might be a bit too much for making a finale roundtrip spectator friendly.

But how about downhill Frederikshøjvej?
RWG-Urhoj-Grejsdalen-Frederiksh-jvej.png

Same finish line as you have suggested (and the finish line of wich I think more bike races already have used years ago).

6.8k with possibilities for downhill attacks.
And moreover, you have to close down a smaller part of Vejle, compared to the present final circuit.
Yeah, your route is working better. Moreover, adding a couple of km's to the loop with a longer stretch of flats is much safer for the peloton.

Made a mid length (180 km) route based on your final circuit and earlier descriptions. Looks like the ideal stage to me.

Imagine this course as the stage 3 of the Tour 2021. There is probably a +50% chance of MVDP winning this but it looks stunning on paper. :astonished:

Sk-rmbillede-2021-08-08-kl-16-56-10.png

Last edited:
You could make a decent stage with plenty of outcomes if they skipped the Kiddesvej circuit, just for once. An alternative finish could be the Roms Hule leading up to the Vejle Stadium and the track and field area. There are plenty of room for spectators and parking spots for the teams. In theory, it's a much better place for hosting a finish than Kiddesvej.

It seems all circuits have that effect on races - few favourites dare to attack before the circuits. I think it's partly a psychological thing, and the organizers don't mind since the circuit is where the audience (and the fixed camera positions) are.

We need a really big race in Vejle - such as a world championship - where a part of the central city can be used for a circuit. That way the northern and southern climbs can be combined fairly easily.

(Or maybe they should just try to make one version of the Tour of Denmark where they do it. The circuit will not close the traffic in the city down entirely.)

https://blogsbjerg.danskebjerge.dk/2019/09/25/sadan-kan-et-vm-i-vejle-se-ud/

...and of course Vejle talks are in effect. Don't care bout it, gimmie Dimen laps.

It looks like the first stage to Esbjerg will have a strong SW wind and rain. Will it be enough W to cause echelons or will it be too much of a headwind?
I wholeheartedly agree with Dimen laps.

A Flanders-inspired Aabenraa stage should be mandatory just like the Amstel-inspired Vejle stage.

I think Danskebjerge and Zoetemelk-fan know more about the climb.

Is it possible to have a full peloton going into Dimen? Unfortunately, it looks like they blocked Hjarupvej with roadblocks.. so you can't combine the two climbs. But it is like the organizers have always ignored the cobbled "berg". I hope that will change with the new management.

Adding the cobbles surrounding Tønning Mølle, Haderslev and even a few gravel sectors before the Dimen circuit would make it more selective than the course in Vejle.

Last edited:
I would like to see a TT in Vejle again. It might create bigger differences than the usual TT, but I doubt there would be a minute between the winner and the second placed rider like in 1995, if they used the exact same course. They had also ridden a road stage earlier in the day that year, which of course isn't allowed anymore.

I expect that Aarhus and Funen will both be included in the race next year. Aarhus hasn't been visited since they finished the 2017 edition in the city when it was European Capital of Culture.

It's time for the first stage in a couple of hours. They are mostly riding along or near the coast today, but unfortunately the wind won't be a major player, so it will end in a full bunch sprint.

tour-of-denmark-2021-stage-1-profile-n2-e5709db696.jpg

It's time for the first stage in a couple of hours. They are mostly riding along or near the coast today, but unfortunately the wind won't be a major player, so it will end in a full bunch sprint.

Yeah, the wind factor is definitely out of the question now. And fortunately, they don't have to pass that silly Kammersluse which the organizers were proud of back in 2015. It cost Fuglsang and other favourites the chance to win the GC.

Yeah, the wind factor is definitely out of the question now. And fortunately, they don't have to pass that silly Kammersluse which the organizers were proud of back in 2015. It cost Fuglsang and other favourites the chance to win the GC.

That was in 2011 and 2016, but I agree that it just added to much unneeded drama.

Half-stages are still allowed in .Pro races, just not in World Tour (Settimana Coppi e Bartali for example always has a road stage in the morning and a TTT afterwards). Must be a decision from the organization not to hold them anymore

I've just checked up on it. Both the riders and the UCI weren't happy about them doing it, though it wasn't technically against the rules. They don't have them in any other Pro Series race either (Coppi e Bartali is only 2.1).

Some entertaining tactics from Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise at the intermediate sprint: One rider from the team attacking out in front, the other following him shortly after and pulling the rest of the group up to him. They finish third and fifth in the five man group ... :rolleyes::D

I think the one rider was trying to set up his teammate, but then he didn't realise that he had already attacked on the other side of the road.

I'm not too happy about Novo Nordisk not bringing Charles Planet to this race. He's raced the last five editions and been part of numerous breaks, so it would have been nice to see him in the race agan. At least they have Umberto Poli and the other Andrea Peron in the team.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS