• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Pologne 2015(2.UWT) 2-8.08

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Disappointing performance for Zakarin and no surprise from Henao today :( Good ITT for the Belgian duo coming very close to upset Izagirre.
Who the *** is Marcin Bialoblocki? Can't believe that he just schooled Vasil :eek:

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I expected more from Formolo, in 2014 he seemed to be better in ITTs, at least he was pretty good in the TdS TT.
Aru is the big surprise for me.

A little bit off topic but how does the World Tour team ranking work? I see that Lotto Soudal had 354 point before Poland and now they have 394 point. De Clercq became second today. Doesn't the team get 80 points for that? For example, Lampre Merida got their 40 points for Ulissi's 6th place and Movistar got their 100 points.

Re:

Samamba said:
A little bit off topic but how does the World Tour team ranking work? I see that Lotto Soudal had 354 point before Poland and now they have 394 point. De Clercq became second today. Doesn't the team get 80 points for that? For example, Lampre Merida got their 40 points for Ulissi's 6th place and Movistar got their 100 points.

Only top 5 riders in the rankings from a team have their points count towards the team's overall points. Previously, De Clerq was not in the top 5 riders for Soudal, and now he displaced whoever was 5th, so they gained 80+ pts from De Clerq but lost the 40-odd points that the guy who was previously 5th had

snccdcno

BANNED
Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Samamba said:

It's the top 5 riders so, he got 80 to move to 88 but replaced Jens Debusschere who had 48 so there is only a net increase of 40.

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Samamba said:

Only top 5 riders in the rankings from a team have their points count towards the team's overall points. Previously, De Clerq was not in the top 5 riders for Soudal, and now he displaced whoever was 5th, so they gained 80+ pts from De Clerq but lost the 40-odd points that the guy who was previously 5th had

Ok thanks, I thought this was only the case with the 'Nations Ranking'.

Billie said:
Ronde van Flausenthurm said:
So Białobłocki's final time was initially displayed as 29'25" and then adjusted to 28'45" some minutes later after Kiryienka came in...

Kittel started 2 minutes in front him. Came in 3 or 4 seconds ahead of him but in the standings he's at 1'59.
Have you timed it or is the 3-4 seconds a guess?
Was there any explanation for adjusting the eventual winner's time three times?

Jagartrott said:
Billie said:
So Białobłocki's final time was initially displayed as 29'25" and then adjusted to 28'45" some minutes later after Kiryienka came in...

Kittel started 2 minutes in front him. Came in 3 or 4 seconds ahead of him but in the standings he's at 1'59.

https://vine.co/v/ewDOaFqw2xu

Hard to say when exactly they crossed the line but it's around 3-4 secs. Definatly more than 1.

Re:

Arked said:
You're all assuming that they started exactly 2 minutes apart from themselves which might not be the case. Also UCI officials are responsible for time measuring, not organizers. But that just me thinking...

It doesn't matter when they start. It's when their timing starts. And the timing starts every minute. So yes Kittel's time started exactly 2 minutes 0 seconds before Bialoblocki's.

Cyclinghub made a video about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzNOX_kQ1SA

Jagartrott said:
Billie said:

Billie said:
Arked said:
You're all assuming that they started exactly 2 minutes apart from themselves which might not be the case. Also UCI officials are responsible for time measuring, not organizers. But that just me thinking...

It doesn't matter when they start. It's when their timing starts. And the timing starts every minute. So yes Kittel's time started exactly 2 minutes 0 seconds before Bialoblocki's.

2.4.013 The start may be determined by the front tyre making contact with an electronic timing
strip on the start line. If the rider starts fractionally before the countdown reaches 0 or in the following 5 seconds the time it is triggered is used. If the rider starts after this 5 second delay has elapsed or in the event of problems with the electronic timing, the rider's time shall be counted as from the start of manual timing following the countdown.

That's what the rules say, so that may explain what actually happened

roundabout said:
Billie said:
Arked said:

2.4.013 The start may be determined by the front tyre making contact with an electronic timing
strip on the start line. If the rider starts fractionally before the countdown reaches 0 or in the following 5 seconds the time it is triggered is used. If the rider starts after this 5 second delay has elapsed or in the event of problems with the electronic timing, the rider's time shall be counted as from the start of manual timing following the countdown.

That's what the rules say, so that may explain what actually happened
kind of a disappointing end of the discussion :(

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Re:

SkyTears said:
Lol Bialoblocki, this is so weird , 1st time under Kirienka , 2nd time 4 secs faster now 1 sec faster

i'm curious if betting firms will payout on this "amazing" ride

not to talk about the hilarity of his time, if the real time is near displayed time.

I don't think anyone would have backed him. I had Howson E/W $301/$75.25 hoping he would come top 3 as I knew he wouldn't win, because I could feel a good ride coming by him and he ends up coming 4th. :(

Re:

SkyTears said:
so as i suspected first time the organizers cheated so the polish guy get the win.

The Polish commentators stated that the director of the Polish team had questioned the original time as it was an obvious error and gave the organisers his measure. The commentators then said that they had no reason not to believe the Polish manager, seemingly without irony. However, from my experience Polish often don't understand British irony, so maybe Brits don't understand Polish irony :eek:

Tank Engine said:
SkyTears said:
so as i suspected first time the organizers cheated so the polish guy get the win.

The Polish commentators stated that the director of the Polish team had questioned the original time as it was an obvious error and gave the organisers his measure. The commentators then said that they had no reason not to believe the Polish manager, seemingly without irony. However, from my experience Polish often don't understand British irony, so maybe Brits don't understand Polish irony :eek:

LOL, I can just imagine how the forum would explode if a stage in the Tour Of Britain was given to a Sky rider in these circumstances! Is there any appeal possible here? Or an official explanation??

They just need a goddamn timing gate like in snowsports (same happens in individual start format biathlon and XC races as in Alpine): electronic timing with a beep that tells riders when their start is coming and when to start, and the gate that they are up against is basically a timing strip; when the athlete starts it is forced open (provides little resistance but enough to prevent accidents) and it automatically activates the clock for that transponder when opened, so an athlete can start early by a couple of seconds if that's what their momentum or where they want to start in their breathing or whatever lies - they'll still get their correct time. And if you start after the starting beep, well, that activates it as well, so Pedro Delgado still loses his time. That would make it a huge amount easier (i.e. it would suggest Kittel started his time slightly early, as if Białoblocki didn't start at the electronic timer he'd have still lost that time and be behind Vasya).

TRENDING THREADS