• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

D8jKd4iUwAAdXXv.jpg:large

E22mgqzVEAINFfV

More hot racing this year. Last year's edition was cancelled because of Covid situation, but this year it's back! You've seen the Giro stage through Slovenia, now multiply that by 5! There will be fans coming out of the woodwork.
Tadej Pogacar is going to use this race as TDF preparation instead of Dauphine/Swiss. But he is very keen to win it, this will be his fourth participation and the podium eluded him thus far. Last year his teammate Diego Ullisi won the race, Tadej finished behind Vlasov in 4th. Before that it was Roglic who won it.

Notable GC mentions: Pogacar, Vlasov, Ulissi, Gorka Izagirre, Majka, Visconti
Notable sprinters/stage hunters: Trentin, Mohoric, Tratnik

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-of-slovenia/2021/gc/overview
https://tourofslovenia.si/en

Live coverage: Eurosport/GCN+ will be covering the race.

Stages overview:

zZpOyD4.png

uFZ2mt9.png

0aIpOvE.png

Full startlist: https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-of-slovenia/2021/gc/startlist

Dynamic route.
They're avoiding their highest grounds for some reason.

Marquee regions and typical countrysides gonna be presented, and that's the trend recently, but I'd never forget to remind the audience they share something with the Tour and Giro... would be useful for the riders too, I think.

I suppose the regional differentia specifica isn't that special on the global market.

This is where they'll be finishing on stage 4 (Sveta Gora aka. The Holy Mountain)

From Wiki:
"In May 1917 Sveta Gora was the scene of heavy fighting between Austrian and Italian forces.[citation needed] Several Austro-Hungarian bunkers are found along Skalnica Road (Skalniška cesta) leading to the Franciscan monastery and church at the top of Mount Skalnica (681 meters or 2,234 feet). "

EFv97hR.jpg

This is where they'll be finishing on stage 4 (Sveta Gora aka. The Holy Mountain)

From Wiki:
"In May 1917 Sveta Gora was the scene of heavy fighting between Austrian and Italian forces.[citation needed] Several Austro-Hungarian bunkers are found along Skalnica Road (Skalniška cesta) leading to the Franciscan monastery and church at the top of Mount Skalnica (681 meters or 2,234 feet). "

EFv97hR.jpg
A neat complement to the Giro stage.
Statehood spirit.

Considering its position in the calendar and the relative profile of the race up until Pogacar and Roglic started destroying Grand Tours the winners list of the GC is incredible- a young Nibali after podium in the Giro, Ulissi x2, Majka, Roglic x2, Brajkovic back when he was good and even Taaramae is a strong rider.
You forgot to mention the great Tiago Machado.

There are very difficult alpine climbs in Slovenia (i.e. Mangart, Vrsic, Kravec) but they made the race the second Tour of Basque Country.

Unfortunatelly it is all down to money (again). In the end it is towns that pay that get the race. And more atractive destinations (Bled, Bohinj, Kranjska Gora, Pokljuka...) all have enough tourists as it is so they are not bothered to pay for a cycling race. It is a shame since the views and passes in the Julian Alps are really the most beautiful in the whole of Slovenia.

On the other hand the eastern part of the country is less known to tourists so they are prepared to pay some money for a multinational advertising that a cycling race offers. Thus for the past couple of years (since the race has been properly broadcasted) most of the race is held in the eastern part and skips the Upper Carniola region. Again, unfortunatelly.

I was just thinking about that and was looking for the profile. I couldn't find one yet. 2.5km at 13% that's a serious murito.

SV_Gora_Monte_Santo_Fiume_Isonzo_profile.gif

They will come from a different side so they will start the climb just after that 3km sign.

The climb just before that one isn't too shabby either - almost 3kms at 10%.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS