• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour of Utah, Stage 2; TTT 21.75 K

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
Am I the only one who found it slightly amusing that they felt the need to explain why Zabriskie is dressed differently from the other Garmin-guys?

It might just be me but I'd think that most people, in the US, interested in cycling would know that he's national champion and, being totally mental, has designed his kit after Captain America.

It goes with his snese of humor. Dry wit.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Did race it or at another time?

I was there spectating. It was scorching hot 114 mile race. Out of 120, only 25 finished. LA won, followed by Steve Larsen (RIP). Steve Johnson (yeah, that one) flatted right after the start. I wonder how many remember that he was on the Subaru/Montgomery roster. I digress.

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
BroDeal said:
This stage should be held in the evening. I don't see any reason not to do so.
Too short of a recovery period for tomorrow's race? I like the idea. Or have a rest day after. It wouldn't be America's toughest stage race then.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
kielbasa said:
I was there spectating. It was scorching hot 114 mile race. Out of 120, only 25 finished. LA won, followed by Steve Larsen (RIP). Steve Johnson (yeah, that one) flatted right after the start. I wonder how many remember that he was on the Subaru/Montgomery roster. I digress.

Your ringing bells...I don't think my Cat. 2 boys finished. 21 years now. Crazy

BroDeal said:
This stage should be held in the evening. I don't see any reason not to do so.

I disagree! If it was held in the evening Utah-time it would be too late for me too watch! Unless of course it would just be early in the morning for me; then I wouldn't mind! :D

But of course I don't think the organizers cares about one crazy girl in silly little old Denmark... :rolleyes:

Brodeal, there are a few reasons NOT to do it later in the day.

First, the later it gets, the windier it gets. In Tooele, you can get some very rough winds. Second, this is the monsoon season in Utah, so there is a higher likelihood of thunderstorms in the later afternoon. Unfortunately, some of those have been dry lately and have sparked wildfires. Third, the next 4 stages are very hard. They'll need recovery.

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
Bart Bowen?

Bart Bowen, a local?! Never heard that before. I know he was with Subaru, but I don't think he even raced in Jeremy Ranch. I think they only had LA and Jonas Carney at the Nats '91. Definitely the only 2 in the crit. I'll have to look through my old pics. I took a lot.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Brodeal, there are a few reasons NOT to do it later in the day.

First, the later it gets, the windier it gets. In Tooele, you can get some very rough winds. Second, this is the monsoon season in Utah, so there is a higher likelihood of thunderstorms in the later afternoon. Unfortunately, some of those have been dry lately and have sparked wildfires. Third, the next 4 stages are very hard. They'll need recovery.

I just looked out my window. I don't see any rain clouds. I would rather race in rain than August heat any day, especially on a closed track.

Yeah, a few times when I have ridden in Tooele the winds sucked, like really really sucked. I think there were 60mph gusts one time. It was comical.

As far as recovery, everyone would be in the same boat. More spectators would be a good thing.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
kielbasa said:
Bart Bowen, a local?! Never heard that before. I know he was with Subaru, but I don't think he even raced in Jeremy Ranch. I think they only had LA and Jonas Carney at the Nats '91. Definitely the only 2 in the crit. I'll have to look through my old pics. I took a lot.

Bowen is from Ruidoso, NM via Albuquerque.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I just looked out my window. I don't see any rain clouds. I would rather race in rain than August heat any day, especially on a closed track.

Yeah, a few times when I have ridden in Tooele the winds sucked, like really really sucked. I think there were 60mph gusts one time. It was comical.

As far as recovery, everyone would be in the same boat. More spectators would be a good thing.

All these years and I thought it was just me. Dante's Inferno.:D

BroDeal said:

Racing in the rain on that course would be a very bad idea, not to mention in the wind AND rain. We'd see some serious crashes.

Rain + oil from cars + wind + skinny tires = disaster

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
1. Christian Vandevelde. (GAR)
2 Tommy Danielson (GAR)
3 Dave Zabriskie (GAR)
4 Wilco Kelderman (Rab) 32
5 Steven Krujiswijk (Rab) st.
6. Chris Horner (RSN) 37
7. George Bennett (RSN) st.
8. Matthew Busche (RSN) st.

BillytheKid said: